Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
dmoss74
Human being with feelings

Default 411 on setting eq in separate tracks, and sending audio to them

hi,

so i am setting up three separate fx tracks, one with a lp, one with a hp, and one with a slight cut at 400hz. i am taking individual tracks (dependent on what they are) and adding sends to the specific eq tracks.

i don't know if this is happening, or if i'm imagining it, but when the send is added, the overall volume of the tracks seem to increase. is that happening, or am i just hearing things?
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

I would imagine that you left the Master/Parent send on the sending tracks enabled and so yes, it probably is actually happening.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I would imagine that you left the Master/Parent send on the sending tracks enabled and so yes, it probably is actually happening.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
global hp and lp filters, so i can assign individual tracks to them.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
Dstruct

Disable Master/Parent send on the source tracks.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Disable Master/Parent send on the source tracks.
10-4. thanks.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
dmoss74

uh oh, now i got another problem, disabling the master send (from an individual track). i tried that with a reverb plugin that was setup as an fx track, but when i try to route the track as a send, and disable the master send, the track doesn't even play, until the reverb is engaged.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Dstruct

Not sure what you're trying exactly.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Not sure what you're trying exactly.
same idea. to have an fx track, loaded with valhalla vintage verb, and send individual tracks to it. i'm probably messing up on the sending end.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

With reverb you usually want to hear it mixed in with some of the dry signal. If you're using it on a separate track and sending to it, you should set it 100% wet (and 0% dry) and leave Master/Parent on for the source tracks.

We usually don't want to do that with filters. We'd rather hear only what's coming through there and not mix it with the original.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #10
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
With reverb you usually want to hear it mixed in with some of the dry signal. If you're using it on a separate track and sending to it, you should set it 100% wet (and 0% dry) and leave Master/Parent on for the source tracks.

We usually don't want to do that with filters. We'd rather hear only what's coming through there and not mix it with the original.
thanks, that makes sense. i do leave the verb 100% wet (on the fx track). i'll play around with it. but he sends seem to be global. eg, when the mater send it unchecked, it works on all the sends (reverb, hp, lp, etc).
Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
thanks, that makes sense. i do leave the verb 100% wet (on the fx track). i'll play around with it. but he sends seem to be global. eg, when the mater send it unchecked, it works on all the sends (reverb, hp, lp, etc).
Well...yeah...err...sort of???

The Master send is another send, and kind of has nothing to do with any of the other sends. We are still not sure what you're trying to do or why or how you want it to work. You can't really have it both ways with the dry signal mixed with the reverb and then not with the filter, because when you mix the reverb (mixed somehow with the dry) with the filter, you'll just have all three mixed together.

Seriously, I'm so unsure of what you're trying to do that I don't even know how to ask questions to clarify.

Edit - What I'm kind of hoping is that you intend these filter tracks to be like bus tracks with different filters on them. These would basically completely replace the Master/Parent send for those tracks routed too them, and will be the part of that track that you end up hearing parallel to the reverb.

Now the question is, do you want this bus filtering applied to what is sent to the reverb for each track? Then the send to the reverb has to come from the filter track, not the original source tracks, but you won't be able to change the mix of the instruments on the way to the reverb, so that they're proportions in the reverb will be the same as in the filters. If that ain't cool, then things get complicated pretty fast.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 04-06-2016 at 04:17 PM.