Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #1
frkasper
Human being with feelings

Default Mic splitter with isolated output for removing ground loop?

Dear all,

I am a hobbyist that really appreciates to have the right type of tools in place whenever I need them. A few months ago I saw a video of some video-shooter guy using a Mic Splitter box as a DI to remove any hum from his balanced line. Well, I'm having an eye for PROMS2 from Radial but first would like to confirm the following:

Assume I'm somewhere with my personal mixer and send a microphone XLR out to Front of House (FOH) mixer/PA. Question: Is there a risk of ground loop here, between my mixer and FOH's?

Overall, is it worth to have this kind of tool? Your inputs are appreciated.

Many thanks!
frkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
ivansc

If the DI has a groundlift switch (most do) you are not going to get a ground loop.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
partonkevin

That device should eliminate the ground loop. I have an 8 channel 2 way splitter from ART. I got it to take a split from FOH to go to my recording interface. I also use it to feed headphone mixes in my studio setup. My splitter has a ground lift switch, but I noticed that the transformer split side kills hum, even without the switch engaged. Also, be are that the transformer split doesn't pass phantom power. Only the the direct will. Kevin
Old 04-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
frkasper

Dear ivansc and partonkevin,

Appreciate your inputs. I was thinking more carefully about this and found another solution. Instead of exporting a XLR signal I thought it would be smarter exporting a regular TRS balanced signal. This way I can work in stereo and get this box instead. I think it will be easier, not to mention the SB-6 box has the ability to work with both unbalanced/balanced streams.

It is good though that a problem I don't even have (yet) has more than one solution. Not to mention I still want to buy a mixer. The box will likely to come first. Just love such tools.

Thanks anyway! Cheers,
frkasper is offline   Reply With Quote