Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Kevvie Metal
Human being with feelings

Default Moving to a dedicated Audio Interface

When recording my band back in 2014, I used two Zoom R16s linked together (pretty much a pain to set up) to capture the drum tracks along with scratch guitar and bass tracks. I then dumped that all into Reaper and used the Zoom as an audio interface to overdub the remaining tracks directly into Reaper. (For the most part. A few times I made a quick n dirty stereo mix, dropped that back on the Zoom and recorded overdubs directly there. It was easier at the time for what I was trying to do.) Results here, if you'd like to listen: https://www.reverbnation.com/saintshameless

However, I'm going to be recording again, and I'm thinking it might be better (and hopefully easier) to move to a completely computer based system. I'd likely install Reaper on my laptop to record and then, once again, dump everything to my desktop to mix.

As I'd like to record at least ten tracks at a time (kick inside, kick outside, snare, OH left, OH right, three toms, room mic, scratch guit, scratch bass) I'm looking at something along the lines of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

Is there anything I'd need other than the laptop and the Focusrite? Am I even barking up the right tree? Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Kevvie Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
Bazzbass

assuming you have all the mics and leads, yes,that interface will do what you want.

You really ought to make the drummer pay for the interface,after all,they are the only reason you need so many inputs. Without a drummer, two will suffice hehe...or....buy the Scarlett 2i2 and tell him he can only use 2 drums per take lol
Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Kevvie Metal

Ha! I have a feeling that neither will fly. And anyway, more gear? Gosh, okay. If I HAVE to...

Thanks for the info.
Kevvie Metal is offline   Reply With Quote