Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Suggestions for good VSTs for vocals

Hey there!

I am a vocalist and I am using Reaper to record my music. I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions on a chain of VSTs to apply to my vocal track that will help to give my boice the best or close to the bst sound I can get.

I am pretty much just reording mudic from a karaoke website, so there are no wild and crazt sound effects required for the vocal track (my traks are called Vox and Vox FX)

I would be grateful for any suggestions yo might have. my goal is to have my voice sound what I cal rich and full if that makes any sende to anyone what I mean.

And, if this post is in the wrong category then please tell me where this request for help should go!

-Steven
Berkeley, CA USA
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #2
MrBongo

- a great performance (!)
- proper distance and angle to the microphone
- ReaEQ
- ReaComp
- ReaXcomp for De-Essing
- ReaVerb for a hint of *guess what* reverb

yup. That´s all you need for starters
There´s hundreds of things that might add a tiny little extra to your recordings, but it´s not enough information to recommend anything. Post a recording first
MrBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
Ulf3000

clean you signal of any electric noise .. search for a silent part of the recording , loop it , then bump up the volume HARD on your headphones and maybe youll hear electric currents , delete those noises with reafir -> render fx to new take

eq to change the voice to professional frequencies (cut off sub , excite, boost upper bass, etc) , a little trial and error but there are also !cheat sheets! for male and female voices , use them

compressor or auto volume/gain plugin to get a more constant loudness/volume, or automate by hand

de-esser (not always needed)

instead of a reverb use a delay and dial the feedback and wet parameters way down , sounds better and much cleaner than a reverb, im using tal-dub3 for all my delay needs but any plug is good i think

you can do the eq , compressor and de-essing also with a dynamic eq like tdr nova http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

and the ultimate tool is melodyne , you can really enhance a good recording to professional levels with that vst ,

you can also completely re-structure the singing ... and thats really cool for learning to sing -> you sing it and then load into melodyne , then at one part in the song you can change your singers tone from C to a D# and it sound super gracefull n stuff , then modify it till you got a very exciting melody and then try to sing that modulated melody again with your natural voice , step for step you can enhance your complete feeling for singing --

Last edited by Ulf3000; 05-28-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:47 AM   #4
Aeolian

Thomas Mundt - Loudmax

Molot is great as well, lots of colour.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
divedive

my go to vocal chain (without creative effects) is:
EQ, COMP, COMP, EQ, LIM

a great technique for transparent compression is to use two compressors in series.
Slowly dial in the first with a modest ratio, with slow attack and release, making sure to not hit it too hard, then add a second and basically do the same, with a higher threshold a little faster attack and release, so the second compressor is only hitting the louder parts, but again nice and easy. Then finish with a good limiter. personally, it helps me to see a waveform view with overlaid reduction display, like iZotope Alloy 2, or Logic X's new compressors. I'm not sure if there are free comps that have that feature - but I like it. I also like iZotopes limiters, especially ozone 7 - and because i go easier on my vocal compression, i let my vocal hit the limiter a fair amount - so the quality and character of the limiter you use matters. of course, this all greatly depends on the vocal context.

I was taught this technique by a very successful engineer - and i really like it. If you practice this, you can get really nice, tight, full, powerful, transparently compressed vocals.

I'd also add - do NOT spend money on plugins if you're a beginner or even intermediate. Reapers plugs are awesome and you can do everything I'm suggesting with them. (minus the waveform / gain reduction view). Plus, buying plugins can be a bad habit. ha!
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:35 AM   #6
pkev

Default Vocal Chain

Hi,

late to this thread but

Might also be worth considering using a channel strip where you have EQ compression, limiting and gating all in one. I have the British & White Channel strip from IK Multimedia and have also used Wave Arts channel strip and years ago Kjaerhus Audio - Golden Channel Strip

Also what mic are you using ? cos that will also make a difference on your EQ settings etc.

Coming from a live mixing background I am limited by the equipment available to me but that can be a good thing. In a `live` situation I only have the capabilities of the desk and outboard gear (Compressors etc) to work with and in most cases it's just the desk with no outboard gear.

When it comes to recording, I try to keep the chain simple and for me
it might be a combination of, or one or tother of comp,limiter,gate,then EQ

My 2 cents
pkev
Old 06-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #7
mschnell

In appropriate situations I git rather nice results with space360 and BBE Exiter (JSFX plugin).

ReaXComp did not help me for de-Esssing (here a Tube preamp (hardware) was a lot more effective). But ReaXcomp helped to do a nice leveraging of the sound.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote