Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
ColdMachinery
Human being with feelings

Default click noise when starting and stoping playback

ive tried both turning on and off fade in/out on start/stop and adjusting the reaper settings but the clicking persists. its like a little snap/click sound. i read that this is a known problem. if its known, whats the solution to fix it?
ColdMachinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I wouldn't know of a common problem like that, the opposite has been reported before ("tiny fade" being always on).

What is your platform/operating system, what material (audio/MIDI/+VSTi) is on what track, what plug-ins are you running on the proejct and does that also happen without those plug-ins, what is your audio interface, can you upload an example project demonstrating the issue... we need a lot more information to help you sort that out.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
ColdMachinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I wouldn't know of a common problem like that, the opposite has been reported before ("tiny fade" being always on).

What is your platform/operating system, what material (audio/MIDI/+VSTi) is on what track, what plug-ins are you running on the proejct and does that also happen without those plug-ins, what is your audio interface, can you upload an example project demonstrating the issue... we need a lot more information to help you sort that out.
this isn't a case though of pc specs. i would mention vst/i but its not relevant because many people use the plugins i do. i have an i74770 with 16 gigs of ram and i use a focusrite 2i2 with x64 windows 8.1 all the problem is a click/snap sound every time i press play.

ive had this problem on more then one pc using different audio interfaces. its a reaper problem in its entirety. its obvious nobody has a clue what the problem is but its a fact that this problem has been an issue with reaper since its beginning. i hear it has to do with reaper cutting off the first part of the note when playing from an area.

i thought i would just check in and see if this problem has been fixed yet but its obviously still there. makes me angry man cause ive been trying to solve it for years and so i come on here trying to give reaper another try, and still nobody has a clue.

last time nobody even replied. its very frustrating so if i sound frustrated i am.

i would love to solve this shit.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
ColdMachinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post

well then maybe the fade is always on who knows.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Actually, the "tiny fade" at playback start is always on (at least for me) as I recently noticed, and that gets rid of clicks and transients at playback start pretty reliably here, even if I want it to click. So the opposite should happen.

However, I guess there could be several reasons for clicks at playback start, f.e. some comp/limiter/other effect in the project, or an effect running on the driver level or sound card's DSP, some general gain staging issue, or some plain old driver issue. Then it could be related to the media format, or something completely different happening on the hardware level...

I'd start with trying if the same happens with onboard sound, in a project with no plug-ins, just some WAV file. If you don't hear any clicks then, start a project with plug-ins that clicked before and check if it still clicks.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
ColdMachinery

i dunno man.

Last edited by ColdMachinery; 08-08-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Eru.CK

If the clicking is showing up on your master then chances are it could well be your sound drivers letting out some interference. The masters DB meter stays at -inf when no interference is present you see.

Just so you know, a render of the track will not contain the clicking sounds, it appears only to be within the software that it will occur.

I found if I change the audio drivers then the clicking stops so could work for you - eliminate all variables possible tbh.

'Options' > 'Preferences...' > 'Device'

have a tinker with that and see if that helps.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
ColdMachinery

surprisingly, you guys are way off. i honestly expected more from you guys but since nobody could help me, ill tell you how to fix this in case anybody else has this issue. its a very simple fix. the problem is an fx tail issue.

if options, audio, playback, flush fx is turned off as it is when you first install reaper you get very annoying cracks and pops when using looping audio. and though it may not be apparent for those not willing to take the time to figure out the issue as in all those reaper haters. just visiting kvr and if you go through all the reaper hate threads you will see this tail issue is one of the most often reasons people hate reaper.

i myself included. ive owned reaper since version 3 and i can't even tell you how many times ive installed this daw, had major audio issues and uninstalled it. but this time i took my time reading old reaper reads about the cause of this issue. i will be sharing this info on kvr that is i will be creating a thread addressing all the non apparent issues that make new users hate reaper so much. and hopefully that will create a bigger reaper fan base.

because, like i said, if you don't live in reaper land then when you try reaper their are quite a bit of frustrating issue that plague new users coming to reaper which are not on the surface but which lead to the hate of reaper and although reaper is the best daw and certainly the best for the money, believe me, the hate for reaper due to things that are not understood at first is rightfully earned.

cm
Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
mb945

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdMachinery View Post
surprisingly, you guys are way off. i honestly expected more from you guys but since nobody could help me, ill tell you how to fix this in case anybody else has this issue. its a very simple fix. the problem is an fx tail issue.

if options, audio, playback, flush fx is turned off as it is when you first install reaper you get very annoying cracks and pops when using looping audio. and though it may not be apparent for those not willing to take the time to figure out the issue as in all those reaper haters. just visiting kvr and if you go through all the reaper hate threads you will see this tail issue is one of the most often reasons people hate reaper.

i myself included. ive owned reaper since version 3 and i can't even tell you how many times ive installed this daw, had major audio issues and uninstalled it. but this time i took my time reading old reaper reads about the cause of this issue. i will be sharing this info on kvr that is i will be creating a thread addressing all the non apparent issues that make new users hate reaper so much. and hopefully that will create a bigger reaper fan base.

because, like i said, if you don't live in reaper land then when you try reaper their are quite a bit of frustrating issue that plague new users coming to reaper which are not on the surface but which lead to the hate of reaper and although reaper is the best daw and certainly the best for the money, believe me, the hate for reaper due to things that are not understood at first is rightfully earned.

cm
So what is the fix for this? I'm getting small pops when I start playback and it is causing loud sounds from amp sims and drum triggers.
I tried turning the Audio > Playback > Run FX when stopped and Flush FX on stop on and off but no luck. When I'm playing audio and then jump to the next region it gives me a loud pop. Thanks!
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
bezusheist

Maybe it's DC offset. Try a HPF and see if it helps any.
Also make sure edits are at zero crossing.

Last edited by bezusheist; 05-24-2017 at 01:51 AM.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:39 AM   #11
Suzuki

The combination of ticking "Flush FX on stop" and "tiny fade-in/out" on the audio preference kinda smoothes out the abrupt pop.
Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote