Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #161
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Hi Nicholas,

I would like to suggest that the function 'Quantize within' will be better explained in the manual.

Here Steindork made a nice explanation: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...47&postcount=5.

I have a feeling that quite a few people don't understand this function completely. Or maybe it was just me...
Thank you for the suggestion. It will be included in the next update, most likely August.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #162
lowellben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
A printed spiral bound hard copy is available for purchase from LULU for anybody who wants one. Just follow the link in my signature.

Enjoy!
I bought the Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide and it shipped out on Monday - hopefully it'll come tomorrow or Saturday I can't wait!

I have the PDF too, for updates and such. (There is no magical way my spiral bound book will update in real time, as you add changes right? lol)

I await the hard copy!

Ben
Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #163
shadowraptor

I downloaded the latest version and immediately purchased and have received the printed manual "Up and Running". Turns out I can't figure this stuff out (I'm old), so I am giving up the idea of creating computer music. I'll stick to playing my guitars and keyboard 'live' for my enjoyment only.

If anyone is interested in buying my copy of the printed manual, please send me an email.

Thanks.

shadowraptor@mts.net
shadowraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 AM   #164
planetnine

You got any specific issues or need any help? I'm in my forties and the learnin' doesn't come as easy as it used to, but I do get a lot of fulfilment out of mixing down on REAPER.

>
Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #165
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraptor View Post
I downloaded the latest version and immediately purchased and have received the printed manual "Up and Running". Turns out I can't figure this stuff out (I'm old), so I am giving up the idea of creating computer music. I'll stick to playing my guitars and keyboard 'live' for my enjoyment only.

If anyone is interested in buying my copy of the printed manual, please send me an email.

Thanks.

shadowraptor@mts.net
Maybe you need the book at the bottom of the user guide page, which is made for beginners approaching the digital music world.

http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #166
hopi

hey shadow.... sorry to hear you are having learning prob's....

I'm old too and I have also helped quite a few oldsters 'figure it out'.... the short version is that you can if you want to. Learning the basics should take you about a day to a week depending on the time and attention you care to put in.

Think about this... you only have to learn it once and from then on you just do it.

Playing your guitar and keyboards for your own enjoyment is fine... but just think... you 'could' use reaper to play with yourself...[yes, I know that sounds funny but read it right! ]
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #167
shadowraptor

Thanks for the encouragement! I can't even get a sound out of my computer regardless of how I select the audio preferences. I have a newer HP G60 laptop with a built-in sound card - maybe I need a 'real' computer to make it work! I can play .wav files, MP3 files etc. but nothing when trying through Reaper. I figured the manual would provide more examples of how to set up and use the software (tutorials), but it doesn't. One suggestion to improve it would be to descibe each feature when it first appears instead of the numerous "more about this later" comments which force the reader to jump back and forth through the material.

Before I tried Reaper, I bought the Sonar Home Studio 7XL - couldn't get it to work either. I've got too much invested already with no results so I really don't want to buy any more books.

My goal is (was) to make a CD before Xmas this year. Looks like I am going to have to use the old multi-track recorder and leave computer music for the experts.

btw, I am in my 6th decade - maybe learning this stuff is beyond me!

It looks like Reaper is a real winner and I am glad that you folks are able to use it. I still have the printed manual if anyone is interested.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #168
planetnine

If you tell us what your operating system (eg XP, Vista, etc) is, someone will be able to ask relevant questions about your audio setup and I bet we could get REAPER talking to your soundcard.

To be honest, you'd probably want to get a reasonable plug-in audio interface in preference to your on-board sound, but if you could get it going for now, it would help wit the learning curve.

I use hardware multitrackers (not tape anymore though, not for nearly ten years) for location recording, but aside from throwing quick mixes together on the faders, I prefer the editing, power and recall of REAPER for mixdown.

Throw us some specifics and one of the bright sparks here will find what it is that's stopping your audio.

Hang on in there..!

>
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #169
shadowraptor

Here's the stuff that Norton tells me about my PC. It shows two sound manufacturers, neither one of which is shown in any of the Reaper info.

CPU: AMD Athlon Dual Core GL-64
Clock Speed: 2,100 MHz
RAM: 256 Mb
Sound Manufacturer: NVDIA HDMI Audio
Sound Manufacturer: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #170
shadowraptor

Arghh ... I should have bought "Home Recording for Beginners" instead
Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #171
mabian

Quote:
I told you

If I were you, at this point I would open a new thread in the "newbie" section and follow from there with those of us that have shown interest in helping you.

It costs nothing, and if it goes well, you'll be up and running once and forever

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #172
fixerdave

Default cpu spec

hi there, no real connection to the subject, but if I were you I would upgrade the ram to 512mb min or 1024 mb preferred, makes a lot of difference dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #173
hopi

shadowguy... see what dave says about getting more ram?

That is totally true in your case... 256 mb's of ram is nuts for anything real.... I mean consider that Vista is likely using more than half of that which leaves almost nothing for other apps to run in....

Getting a real audio card [usb is easiest for you I think and m-audio has some cost effective solutions] would be a big help as well... BUT you can get it going with ASIO4ALL which is a free download. Just google for the link.

I'm likely older than you and if I can do it, why not you? IF you do, you will eventually be way happier than with the methods you are using.

Sonar is harder to use in my opinion than reaper.

Now as to the manual... I'd suggest you download the PDF version which is free and save it to your hard drive. When you open it with Acrobat reader [you do have reader, yes?] you can type in a search for a word and get pointed rapidly to the info that you want to learn about. Since you also have the printed version this will help you find your way around in setting up reaper.

But again, regardless of anything else, get more RAM in that computer! OR, if you are serious about getting a new computer let's have a discussion about that.

Don't give up... there are people here rooting for you and people who will indeed help you if your are willing to do your part.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #174
planetnine

Quote:
Up & Running doesn't dwell on any troubleshooting tips for setting-up sound interfaces and drivers.

Start another thread and we'll go through your Audio prefs screens to see if there's an obvious issue. I take it you get sound from other programs on your PC?

>
Old 09-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #175
Fabian

Don't forget you have the wiki to back you up as well.
For newbies: http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...All_New_To_You
Wiki start: http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php..._Documentation
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #176
rictheobscene

I have no desire to have a printed copy of the Reaper manual or the SWS manual, at the pace the two are updated, it wouldn't be long before a printed manual would become obsolete.

However, each of these manuals have helped me tremendously many times, and I would like to support the work. Is it possible to make a donation to the author?
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #177
chriscomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
hi there, no real connection to the subject, but if I were you I would upgrade the ram to 512mb min or 1024 mb preferred, makes a lot of difference dave

I'm sure this is a moot point by now, but that number simply can't be accurate. There is no way a "newer HP G60 laptop" has less than a gig or 2. He must have written the wrong info, or that number represents the RAM built into the processor itself.
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #178
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictheobscene View Post
I have no desire to have a printed copy of the Reaper manual or the SWS manual, at the pace the two are updated, it wouldn't be long before a printed manual would become obsolete.

However, each of these manuals have helped me tremendously many times, and I would like to support the work. Is it possible to make a donation to the author?
Thank you for your generosity ... you could make a donation if you like to the Humane Society International (my favourite charity).

http://www.hsi.org.au/
Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #179
rictheobscene

OK - will do.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #180
shadowraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
I'm sure this is a moot point by now, but that number simply can't be accurate. There is no way a "newer HP G60 laptop" has less than a gig or 2. He must have written the wrong info, or that number represents the RAM built into the processor itself.
That's what it tells me when I run the Norton system info stuff - doesn't seem right to me either.

btw, my printed manual is still for sale. I ordered the other book from Amazon after my last post here, but they backordered it to sometime in late October. I canceled the order. I'm now looking at a competitor's product which has all kinds of on-line tutorials that are free. I want to be able to record at least one CD before I croak

Thanks all.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #181
Dstruct

Section 8.1 "Creating Loops" needs to be rewritten IMO:

Quote:
To Loop an entire Item:

1. Hover the mouse over the an edge of the Item until the Cursor changes to a double-headed arrow (see right).
2. Drag the Cursor to extend the Item. Each loop point will be indicated by a notch in the item edges. Extend as required.
3. The length, start time and end time of the looped item will be displayed as you drag the edge of the loop.
Ok, this will loop the item. But when working in Beats timemode this doesn't make sure the item is synced to the grid properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Example:

-> audio file with duration of 1 beat
-> now you could just drag it out but it won't stay in sync with the beat grid
-> rightclick the item and also enable "Loop section of item source" (make sure to resize the item to exactly 1 beat before)
-> drag out the item

=> now it will loop properly in sync with the beat grid forever ...

(in the Item Properties window you also can adjust the X-fade lenght in case you'll get some clicks at the loop boundaries)

Quote:
If you wish to loop only part of an item, then the item must first be cropped and glued.
Not true. "Loop section of item source" is the more elegant and precise solution.

Btw: This source looping thing is also missing in section 6.15 "Media Item Properties".
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #182
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Section 8.1 "Creating Loops" needs to be rewritten IMO:
Thank you.

This will be fixed in the next update.

If you find any other issues, please post them to the sticky on the bugs forum.
Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #183
froginasock

Default Unavailable on Lulu?

I'm keen to get hold of a hard copy of the User Guide, but when adding to the cart on Lulu I get:

"Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide - This product is not available for purchase."

No joy!
froginasock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #184
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by froginasock View Post
"Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide - This product is not available for purchase."
Maybe it's a subtle way of saying, "Save your money because the 4.0 guide will be along real soon now."
Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #185
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by froginasock View Post
I'm keen to get hold of a hard copy of the User Guide, but when adding to the cart on Lulu I get:

No joy!
Thank you for the warning. LULU have stuffed up. It should be OK and available now. Sorry for the inconvenience ...

Last edited by nicholas; 11-25-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #186
Paradiddle

Thank you for the User Guide. I would have given up long ago without it.

There is no mention of Soundfonts in it. Is that on the to-do list?
Paradiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #187
ivansc

Already posted a HALP in a separate thread, but....
I bought hard cover version of reamix and now I cant access the downloadable examples etc. Did I miss something?
Also, where the heck is the tilde key on a USA UK keyboard? I had to search something else with a tilde and cut n paste!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #188
moliere

replied in other thread, but ~ key is in the top left of the keyboard, next to 1.

or to be more precise : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde#Keyboards
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #189
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
replied in other thread, but ~ key is in the top left of the keyboard, next to 1.
sadly not on mine it aint.` ¦ and ¬ are my only three choices.

*sigh*
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #190
moliere

above the # key on the right then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #191
ivansc

just got back to this and yes you are right - just not shown on the keytop itself, but it IS there.

And now I cant download the files any way - see my other posts on this.
*sigh*
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #192
drjenk

Default Great job on the manual

I must say, this manual is of the highest quality and praise to you for such an excellent and well written manual. It has been a long time since I actually am desiring to finish and entire manual, just because it is so clear and I want to know what all of the features are. The more I read the more I am blown away at the the features themselves. I've been using Sonar for the last 10 years (actually it was pro audio back then), and this program is such a breath of fresh air it is inspiring creativity I knew was in there but was crippled with the interface. I feel like I am always fighting Sonar, this program has been rock solid and behaves as expected, with a few instances of getting used to doing things a different way. This is why this manual is so excellent. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
David J.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #193
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I must say, this manual is of the highest quality and praise to you for such an excellent and well written manual. It has been a long time since I actually am desiring to finish and entire manual, just because it is so clear and I want to know what all of the features are.
If you think that's good, when you're done with the manual, get the author's Reamix book. It'll blow your mind.

As one of the many Sonar defectors here, I welcome you to the Reaper fold. There aren't very many people that are disappointed that they made the switch. Learn to live with the few things that aren't quite as nice as in the world of Cake, and revel in the myriad new possibilities before you.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #194
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
just got back to this and yes you are right - just not shown on the keytop itself, but it IS there.

And now I cant download the files any way - see my other posts on this.
*sigh*
Ivan, please see my other posts. To download the files you must use the EXACT same combination of upper and lower case characters in the URL as shown in printed pages of the book.
Was it you who tried contacting me thru LULU? Unfortunately I could not find your return address ...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #195
ivansc

nicholas - no worries, I figured it out in the end!

and I have been busy elsewhere & didnt pick up the more recent bits of this thread till today

Thanks again
Ivan
Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #196
edjay

.....been having a go with the manual too; it even opens in my installation. There's tons of it! Thanks very much.
edjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #197
whitebread47

I had a lot of trouble scrolling through hundreds of pages in search for what I needed, so I bought the hard copy user guide from LULU through amazon. I also got REAPER POWER! Those have been pretty good to me.
whitebread47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #198
PerunZG

Oh great. More spammers...
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #199
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerunZG View Post
Oh great. More spammers...
Huh? There's only one post in the last three months and it seems to be on topic to me.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #200
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Huh? There's only one post in the last three months and it seems to be on topic to me.
Mods deleted it.

Jedi