Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Grahamb99
Human being with feelings

Default Tascam 1608

I am thinking of getting a Tascam 1608 interface to record live bands into Reaper.
I have a HP laptop Intel core i3 1.7ghz with 4 gb of ram.
Any thoughts on this?
I think I will need to set a reasonable buffer - any recommendations?
I will be using up to 16 tracks but no plus ins or effects as I will copy the project into my studio pic for mix down.
Any words of wisdom?
Thanks
Grahamb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
TheMaartian

I use a Tascam US-16x08 and am quite happy with it.

On your laptop DAW, it should work fine. If you're not on Win10, you'll need to be at least on Win7.

Note that you install the driver BEFORE you connect the 16x08. One good thing is that the drivers for the US-NNxNN interfaces are developed and supported in-house by Tascam. Check out the download page:

http://tascam.com/product/us-16x08/downloads/

My primary concern would be if you were planning to use Reaper to create one or more monitoring mixes. With your mobile DAW, you might be looking at buffer sizes of 128 or 256. You might have a hard time at 32 or 64. That could cause a bit of latency in the monitoring mixes.

With the latest driver release, it appears that you can now disconnect the audio return from your DAW and use the 16x08 to create ONE monitoring mix, but I haven't tried it.

FWIW, the newest driver also installs a "mixing driver" that is Tascam's attempt to provide quasi-multi-client access via ASIO. Glitchy. I don't use it. I would keep your default Windows audio on your internal audio chip and use the 16x08 strictly as an ASIO interface for Reaper.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Grahamb99

Default Tascam 1608

Thanks for that.My intention is to record the band all "live" so no monitoring will be needed.
I will experiment with the buffer sizes, I gather that higher the buffer the better from a cpu point of view but worse from a latency point of view?
Grahamb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamb99 View Post
... I gather that higher the buffer the better from a cpu point of view but worse from a latency point of view?
Correct. The smaller the buffer size, the more often the CPU needs to be interrupted to process the buffer.

Also, by default, the stereo mains from Reaper appear on "Line Out 1-2" AND "Phones". They have separate volume controls on the front panel of the 16x08, which I use ALL of the time. In your case, I assume that you'll have no speakers connected, just headphones (you do want to listen; for you, a bit of latency is not as big of a deal as it would be for one of the musicians).

Throw some VU meters on the tracks, and a meter and limiter (with a very high threshold; you don't want to blow your ears) on the master buss, and you should be good to go.

Happy music making!
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

these work great but sometimes you dont get some of the frills you get from better interfaces like being able to use windows audio and ASIO at the same time
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
kelmar

This work is good but not perfect. Pay attention on details