Old 06-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
JOE SA SA
Human being with feelings

Default Next step?

Ok, it´s time to jump to next step on Reaper...Virtual Singer, use your own voice and sing like...Madonna? Sting?, or speak like a mopped bear or maybe your favorite artist. Maybe this stuff could be real as a native plug in the early stages. Dreams? Reaper once was too.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Xenakios

I don't think Cockos has the resources to devote to things like that, as cool as it might be...It's just 2 guys working on Reaper at the moment. Something like that would be best done by a 3rd party plugin developer anyway.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Otto Tune

I'm waiting for the program to make my badly tapped out rhythm "sound like" Billy Cobham haha.

It's interesting though. As a traditionalist, I'd want to say that making such things possible would undercut (sort of, and imperfectly) the actual talent of people like Madonna who had it, and could also undercut the possibility that someone with new talent would sound different and like themselves, if that talent was spent getting the program to do Madonna. I'd expect even fewer Robert Plants and Lou Reeds and Weens in a world with this kind of technology, and maybe a lot more Madonna singing to metal type stuff -- but Lady Gaga already does something like that live, so no innovation there except that you don't have to have Lady Gaga's talent.

But since it's becoming increasing possible, and I'm not particularly interested in authenticity claims, I'd just wonder, what's the upside? Every bedroom producer can do a new Material Girl? Seems unlikely, as of course there would be thousands trying and they'd still have to have a compelling song, which would be no closer for all the automation imaginable.

Great questions
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Tune View Post
I'm waiting for the program to make my badly tapped out rhythm "sound like" Billy Cobham haha.

It's interesting though. As a traditionalist, I'd want to say that making such things possible would undercut (sort of, and imperfectly) the actual talent of people like Madonna who had it, and could also undercut the possibility that someone with new talent would sound different and like themselves, if that talent was spent getting the program to do Madonna. I'd expect even fewer Robert Plants and Lou Reeds and Weens in a world with this kind of technology, and maybe a lot more Madonna singing to metal type stuff -- but Lady Gaga already does something like that live, so no innovation there except that you don't have to have Lady Gaga's talent.

But since it's becoming increasing possible, and I'm not particularly interested in authenticity claims, I'd just wonder, what's the upside? Every bedroom producer can do a new Material Girl? Seems unlikely, as of course there would be thousands trying and they'd still have to have a compelling song, which would be no closer for all the automation imaginable.

Great questions
New media just creates new artistic styles of expression, and is a natural part of development and change, that's all. Before the invention of photography, most people couldn't create a portrait of a person that "looks just like her!", then suddenly everyone could. This did have an effect on the direction of representational painting, but didn't kill the art form since a painting is not a photograph... However the tech shakes out, the cream will still rise to the top, just like always.

In the end, a drum program that can make you sound like Billy Cobham won't make you sound like Billy Cobham, because our collective ears will have adapted to the times and you'll only sound like a player with a drum machine that is reminiscent of Billy Cobham. If you have a vision, something to say, talent and an inspired musical idea, it might result in great music, but it will be different music, belonging to it's own time and place.

But they are great questions, and the whole digital audio explosion is absolutely fascinating IMHO...
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
Otto Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
In the end, a drum program that can make you sound like Billy Cobham won't make you sound like Billy Cobham, because our collective ears will have adapted to the times and you'll only sound like a player with a drum machine that is reminiscent of Billy Cobham.
Indeed, and it's the kind of thing that could be used to great effect, as long as the vision and intent are there. And in my view you're totally right about the representational painting example. I just sometimes want to say that I wouldn't want to think I were using a camera to make a better painting, though it might rise to the top as a better photograph.
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
slipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SA SA View Post
Ok, it´s time to jump to next step on Reaper...Virtual Singer, use your own voice and sing like...Madonna? Sting?, or speak like a mopped bear or maybe your favorite artist. Maybe this stuff could be real as a native plug in the early stages. Dreams? Reaper once was too.
Sounds like a great idea. When you've written it and got it working (we'll help with the testing ) then I'm sure it could be included in Reaper.

Meanwhile I'm a bit more interested in generative music programs. I don't want to have to put in all that effort to work out my own tunes and do the playing and singing. The computer should be able to do all that...so I can just say "I want a new Weather Report track but with Billy Cobham on drums and add Miles Davies in there too".

You never know.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
ivansc

Problem is that these days it is damn neaqr impossible to find anything in the top 100 that hasn`t had the human voice mangled almost beyond recognition, apart from they are all starting to sound just like each other.

So glad there are other forms of musical/vocal expression out there. even if one of them is MY pet hate, the "trained operatic voice".
Yuk! Almost rather have autotune.....
Old 06-27-2017, 03:22 AM   #8
g8torcliff

https://youtu.be/Ig1E9WhVi44
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote