Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
LouDorn
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone Running Reaper On SSD Drive?

I have read through posts and searched but couldn't find a lot of info.

I wanted to know if anyone is running reaper off of a SSD drive and recording onto a standard hard drive.
The SSD would have the Operating System and programs installed. Standard hard drives would be for recording onto. Not recording onto the SSD.

Just curious as hard drive prices have quaddruplled do to the flooding and all that. SSD's are now in a price range to consider them.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
helpdeskeddy

What do you want to achieve using a SSD as your systemdrive?
So it'll load in 0.1 seconds instead of 2 seconds...?
Or maybe for your samples?

I don't see a specific reason to run Reaper on a SSD. Of course your whole system would startup quicker with an SSD, but that has nothing to do with Reaper...

I'm just curious what your reason might be to have a Reaper system on SSD...

Eddy
helpdeskeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
LouDorn

Hello,

I was going to take my current OS hard drive, 750gig, wipe it and turn it into a recording drive.

I looked at hard drive prices and being they have gone up so high I can get a 128Gig SSD for the same price. I would clone the existing OS onto the SSD and then do the swap once I am sure the clone procedure went correctly.

I don't care about boot speed, it is strictly a money comparison with the elevated hard drive prices. I wouldn't spend the money just for boot speeds because boot speeds don't really mean a thing to me.

Current boot speeds allow me to pour a little scotch and have a sip :-)
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
helpdeskeddy

I haven't been buying HDD lately, so I wasn't aware that their prices had raised that high!
I took a quick look, and for the same price you can get a 1TB HDD or 120GB SSD...
For your OS drive you don't need more than 120GB.

I think I would still buy a HDD for the OS and make a separate partition so I can back up recordings on the same HDD...

From what I've been reading on computer forums, SSD for your OS would work very well. Sometimes it's a PITA to get a clone from a HDD to work on a SSD...

Good luck, Eddy
helpdeskeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Caj

I have an ssd -drive for the OS ( windows 7 32 bit ) first of all because it´s so silent , and it should be safe . Has no problems with REAPER ( only some vst such as GRM-tools ) nor SIBELIUS 6 . I´m going to buy one more ssd and have 2 OS ( windows 7 64 bit with 32 GB RAM, and 32 bit on separate drives )because maybe some of my old vst does not work on 64 bit . I know there is different opinions about that ( anyone who have experince of that ? )
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
icemac

I have SSD OS drives, and another for data. You can easily fit your working audio projects on an SSD, use the old drives for back up and non active projects.
I have 4 out fanless dvi graphics, heatpipe cpu cooler, so when i turn my system on ‘nothing happens’!
No fans no noise, i can only tell its on cos LEDs and the screens boot up, awesome!

When i plug a mechanical clunking HD in to the system it seems archaic, there’s no going back
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
LouDorn

Thanks for the info.
I was hoping to hear this.
After New Years If I have a few bucks I will do a upgrade with a boot drive first and then add another.

I wonder of they work with Linux yet, hmmm!!!

With hard drive prices through the roof for a few months more the SSD's are just a easy choice.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
brownie

Another happy SSD user here, Reaper and all current projects run off my SSD and I've an external eSATA drive for extra storage.

As well as no heat generation, silence and fast boot times of an SSD general tasks are also greatly improved, for example an AV scan on my machine looks at approx. 50k files and completes in 6 seconds.

I do regularly use Windows Backup to take a system image on the eSATA drive just incase the SSD fails but no problem yet.
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote