Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
_Grunge_
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Mac problem

I have a mac desktop with Lion and I just downloaded Reaper. I was using a Dell laptop with Reaper and put all my files on the external hard drive. Now when I try playing/recording the tracks on the mac the "play" button is highlighted but the cursor won't move and sound doesn't come out. I also use MT Power Drummer plugin and when I hit the drum or the cymbal the sound keeps skipping/stuttering.

I'm not very knowledgeable on computers but any bit of help is much appreciated.
_Grunge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
ankely

It may be a HD formatting issue.

Check this out:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Formatti...xternal_Device
Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
vanhaze

Yes could very be.

To test:

Copy a Reaper project from your external drive to (for example) your desktop on your mac.
Open that project in Reaper and see how that goes.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
serr

Just to rule out operator error as well, maybe post a screen shot of your setup pages. Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device and then any proprietary control panel app for your interface if it uses one.

Preference settings are NOT included in the saved .rpp project file.

Being that Reaper's audio interface controls are complex, you may have missed a setup detail that you haven't had to think about for a long time.

Are you running live sound or doing live performance and thus require low latency settings?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
_Grunge_

I'm sorry, I'm really new at this.

How do I make a screen shot on a mac (still new to macs) and I tried recording new stuff today and I got the same problem (i.e. the play button would stay lit but the cursor wouldn't move and I couldn't record.)
Old 12-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Grunge_ View Post
I'm sorry, I'm really new at this.

How do I make a screen shot on a mac (still new to macs) and I tried recording new stuff today and I got the same problem (i.e. the play button would stay lit but the cursor wouldn't move and I couldn't record.)
About your first question: making screenshots on mac:

On your computer keyboard: hold down the keys: SHIFT, COMMAND, 4.
Then you can left mouse drag an area of the screen which you want to be captured in the screenshot.
If you do that and then let go of the left mouse button, the screenshot will be saved to your desktop, with name: "screenshot....."

To answer your second question .. hard to tell ; still thinking about solutions for that ..

Last edited by vanhaze; 12-04-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
cyrano

Sounds like your interface has a mismatch in sample rate or so.

Which interface are you using? Does it need drivers? Are these installed?

Does the interface show up in System preferences/Sound (Under the Apple menu). Have you setup audio in Midi/audio setup (in Applications/Utilities)?

Once this setup is done, you need to setup Reaper's preferences. That should be almost the same as Reaper on Windows.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
_Grunge_

First off, I really appreciate all the help.

You can see all the screen shots at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/616ej7yur...nmmT792Xa?dl=0

They had an update so I updated but nothing has changed. I tried starting a new project and I can record an acoustic DI but I still can't play it after and can't hear any playback from anything else previously recorded while I'm recording.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
serr

Quote:
First off, I really appreciate all the help.

You can see all the screen shots at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/616ej7yur...nmmT792Xa?dl=0

They had an update so I updated but nothing has changed. I tried starting a new project and I can record an acoustic DI but I still can't play it after and can't hear any playback from anything else previously recorded while I'm recording.

I hope that makes sense.
Looking at your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page, you have the boxes unchecked for sample rate and block size. Unchecked means disable control of these parameters from Reaper in order to use a different app (or control panel app) to control your connected audio interface(s).

Is that choice intentional?
If yes, what app are you setting the sample rate and block size with?

I recommend trying to control this using Reaper first (check the boxes and enter the values) and only do something else if forced (by some stubborn proprietary control panel or some such).

Are you doing post production mixing (where latency doesn't matter) or doing live performance or live sound (where low latency is required)?

Set your block size to something high like 1024 samples for post work.

If you need to do live work, read some of the forum threads on setting up for low latency live work.

Whatever you are doing, pick a sample rate to run at and set both the hardware and the current Reaper project to the same rate. You don't want CPU hungry sample rate conversions going on unless it's a special case and absolutely necessary. Never for live work!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
DrKev

FWIW, I'm on a Macbook, also running Lion. My setup looks just like the screen shots. Should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Looking at your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page, you have the boxes unchecked for sample rate and block size. Unchecked means disable control of these parameters from Reaper in order to use a different app (or control panel app) to control your connected audio interface(s).

Is that choice intentional?
If yes, what app are you setting the sample rate and block size with?
The sample rate and block size are unchecked by default. The default sample rate is already defined in the Project Settings window (44100 Hz by default), but sometimes we may want a different sample rate for a specific project (e.g. recording for video, which is usually 48000 Hz).

By all means try adjusting the block size. The Reaper User Manual suggests trying to 128, 256, 512, 768, and 1024. Find the lowest setting that works.

Bear in mind OP's last post - can record, cannot play. Does this offer any further hints?
DrKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
_Grunge_

I'm unable to record or play anything. I tried doing what you all said but still can't do anything. I'm relegated to working with garageband right now

The time stamp keeps flashing red whenever I try recording or playing anything back also.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
I'm unable to record or play anything. I tried doing what you all said but still can't do anything. I'm relegated to working with garageband right now

The time stamp keeps flashing red whenever I try recording or playing anything back also.
Please post screen shots of:

- Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page (after you made the suggested changes)
- Reaper Project settings page (under the File menu) with the Project Settings tab clicked to show the project sample rate.
- Audio MIDI Setup (with your audio interface connected and then selected in the left pane to show settings)

Question:
Are you trying to do live sound or live performance or are you just mixing already recorded tracks? This is important!

Aside:
Modern computers can do a lot. You can often make wrong settings and be none the wiser with smaller audio projects. (Obviously not in this particular case!) Point being that you COULD have Reaper set to sample rate convert everything on the fly and be unaware of what sample rate you are running at and still have success with smaller projects.

This should not be taken as justification for ignoring these settings however!

Reaper's default for audio interface control is in fact to have its controls turned off. There are lots of budget interfaces out there (like all the USB stuff) that don't play nice with the established system and need special treatment (like only being able to use their proprietary control panel apps). So Reaper made "off" the default. A bad call IMHO as controlling your connected hardware from the DAW app is the first choice normally.

Garageband is very much the 'point and click' camera. Sample rate is fixed at 44.1k only and any connected interface is controlled by Garageband. All other options/configurations are locked out. (It's pretty much the demo for Logic.)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
jpanderson80

Quote:

I've had this happen.
Try re-installing your interface drivers (check to make sure they are current) and restart.

Checking the sample rate options are a good idea too.

Then try Reaper again.

Once I re-installed and restarted, I've not had any issues.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
_Grunge_

Still having issues so I thought I would make a video. Hope this helps a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO1hVz7L4cA

Any help is still appreciated. I'm also done building my studio so I need to get this fixed asap.

PS. Drivers are reinstalled and up to date.

EDIT: I also, by chance, disabled my Tascam US1800 I sent everything to my computer speakers and everything worked. I'm not sure what this means. Is my interface garbage?

Last edited by _Grunge_; 01-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
serr

I offered to help but you'll have to answer the questions I asked above.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
_Grunge_

Sorry about that. I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off and thought I already did that. Here you go
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #17
vanhaze

Hey i am sorry for you that you are having problems in Reaper.
However, be sure we get this fixed for you eventually :0)

Try this for starters:

1) Goto Reaper Preferences > Device
2) Tick "Request sample rate" and fill in : 44000
3) Tick "Request block size"
4) Click the Apply button, on the bottom right.
5) Close Reaper.
6) Open Reaper
7) Record something and then playback.

Please lemme know if this helps.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
serr

Can I assume that your intended sample rate is in fact 48k?

Please take a screen shot of the Reaper Project Settings screen (under the main screen File menu) and with the 1st tab (also called Project Settings) selected. Looking to see your project sample rate. (Expecting to see it set to 48k and the box checked next to it.)

Then a screen shot of Audio MIDI Setup open (and with your external interface connected).

You currently have Reaper set to default to either the sample rate set in Project Settings (if that box is checked) for the connected audio interface or some other app (if that box is unchecked). Unchecking the boxes in the Preferences Audio/Device control panel tells Reaper to default to the project sample rate (if set and the box checked) or to take commands from a different audio app or control panel.

The pic of Audio MIDI Setup will show if the devices have been set to different parameters by something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
2) Tick "Request sample rate" and fill in : 44000
I recommend altering the control panel choice first. Unless there's something oddly restrictive about that interface, 48k isn't going to be pushing anything and reducing to 44.1k (I assume you meant 44.1) should have zero effect.

But I do agree that the first choice should be to try controlling the audio interface from Reaper instead of externally!

Follow Vanhaze's advice to set up to control from Reaper, but keep using 48k for now if that is your intentional sample rate choice.

Further, check the box for block size and enter 1024 (the units are in samples).

Then post those additional screen shots so we can see if we're on the same page.
To recap, I'm interested in:
-Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page (just the Device page)
-Reaper Project Settings page (under the main page File menu)
-Audio MIDI Setup screen (the OSX audio control panel utility)

I'm certain that you simply got lucky with some default settings on your old system and there are one or two settings here that you are just blissfully unaware of.

And the question:
Are you trying to do live sound or live performance or are you just mixing already recorded tracks? This is important!

Last edited by serr; 01-05-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #19
_Grunge_

UPDATE: I tried everything you guys said and nothing changed but I thought I would hook up my old Line 6 Toneport UX2 and see if I could record with that and I can. I didn't hook up my monitors but I did record with it and listen through the headphone out and it worked perfectly. Should I just say "F it" and and a focusrite?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #20
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Please make sure you checked Options->Preferences->Audio->Device->"Ignore running change notifications (may be required for some devices)" - this is unchecked on your screenshot and needs to be checked for some interfaces (including your Tascam) on Mountain Lion and higher.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote