Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Yngfwuhr
Human being with feelings

Default Nektar panorama p4 vs impact LX49+

Hi folks,

I'm about to purchase a midi controller keyboard, and Nektar stuff seems like the way to go for me. I'd be happy to get input from people having compared the Panorama P4 and the Impact LX49+. How much added value does the screen give (e.g., when modifying parameters on VSTi:s or similar)? Anything missing from the (older) P4 compared to the Impact+? How does the overall quality and feel compare? (I've heard some complaints on the Nektar keybed...). I'm quite ok to pay the extra price for the Panorama if it turns out to be much more useful. ...but also desk space is an issue for me. Sigh... not too easy.

Unfortunately I'm not able to test them before buying since no music store nearby has them.

Thanks,

Yngfwuhr
Yngfwuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
John57b

If you going to use Reaper as your main DAW the Nektar panorama series is a better choice. I am using the P1 with my SL88 keyboard. Macros is one difference between. Search under my user name for more info.
John57b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Jbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John57b View Post
If you going to use Reaper as your main DAW the Nektar panorama series is a better choice. I am using the P1 with my SL88 keyboard. Macros is one difference between. Search under my user name for more info.
Hi John, Thanks for your input. I just purchased the P6, (on delivery) and I have a 45 day return policy, so if the keyboard turns out to be an issue I'll return the P6 for the LX. ( and a bunch of plugins)

I've been combing the web for comparisons and reviews, but I still cant find a definitive list between functionalities.

What I have found so far is:
1. P6 has the much better screen
2. P6 has macros, but the LX has shortcuts. Is there a big difference?
3. pads are better in the LX
4. Pads can be setup the same for both P6 and LX for other functions (I think)
5. Same Reaper/VST deep editing with both P6 and LX, right? this is a biggie as Im buying Nectar for the fast workflow and integration with tons of stuff.
6. General build quality is better in the P6
7. P6 has midi out, LX has usb out for midi. ( I own a good amount of analog midi gear, currently a pair of Ensoniq SD-1s and a yamaha KX88 are my controllers. Kurzweil K2000S rack, Prophet 600, JX-8P, Kurzweil ME-1, Alesis HR-16). I could get some type of usb to midi converter if totally needed....

I have other comparison stuff I'll be adding as I find it, but this is enough to get the conversation rolling...
Thanks in advance for your input.(or anyone else for that matter
I mostly find the truth on this forum... this place rocks.

Best,
Jbyrd

PS Im reading both manuals to gain more knowledge, but you cant get experience from a manual. Yar.

Last edited by Jbyrd; 03-18-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Jbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
John57b

from Nektar web site:

So QWERTY macros...... big deal, right? That's right, it‘s a VERY big deal. Your software has a ton of features and functions that can be activated using QWERTY shortcut commands. Assigning a command to a button, so you don't have to be near your computer, makes life a lot easier. Assigning a string of up to 8 commands takes it to another level. With this powerful feature you could for example enter edit mode, zoom in and select a tool with just one button press.

Or create an instrument or effects track and locate a folder containing your presets, so you can select them from Panorama – all with one button press and without looking at your computer.

*QWERTY macro's are not available in OS X 10.11 or higher
Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Jbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John57b View Post
from Nektar web site:

So QWERTY macros...... big deal, right? That's right, it‘s a VERY big deal.
Yep, Thanks John, I was just reading your other posts, cool beans. I do see this as a major customizable plus. What about the other Qs. Pads? same integration? Has anyone "A/B"ed these side by side? I'll probably love it and never want to part with it, as long as the keyboard doesnt drive me mad. Getting the P1 if this doesnt work may be an option as well, as you did. Cripe, maybe a P1 AND an LX ! Hmmmm.....
Old 03-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
John57b

P6 has one motorized 100mm, longer than some, touch-sensitive ALPS fader. While I have not played with the P6, the black keys seems to be a bit higher. My StudioLogic SL88 studio is cheaper than the P6 and there is no Nektar 88 keyboard in the Panorama series.

Last edited by John57b; 03-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Skijumptoes

I have the Panorama P6 and the LX88+

Panorama by far has the better integration and control, the screen is a BIG bonus, you can use the keyboard without even looking at the screen, the LX, other than mixer and transport controls you really need too get to know the plugins and what's mapped where.

The LX, has far better pads and better/less noisy keys. The P6 pads really aren't quite good enough for reliable playing - but they're fine for triggering other messages. P6 Aftertouch is really good.

Motorised fader on the Panorama also works very well with Reaper, but be warned that if you're running newer version of MacOS you won't get the keyboard shortcuts.

I'd rather have the Panorama out of the two (Mainly due to the integration/controlling synths/sends/eqs etc), but luckily they're both besides me, the LX being a 'dumb' controller that i use for it's keys and wider octave range, the P6 is my main keyboard controller now and i have no complaints on it's keys as they suit a wide variety of uses, and are quite predictable and allow you to be quite expressive. It certainly beats the cheap Roland keys that i have on an FA-06 Synth.

The LX's are quite a bit slimmer too.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
Jbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post

I'd rather have the Panorama out of the two (Mainly due to the integration/controlling synths/sends/eqs etc), but luckily they're both besides me, the LX being a 'dumb' controller that i use for it's keys and wider octave range, the P6 is my main keyboard controller now and i have no complaints on it's keys as they suit a wide variety of uses, and are quite predictable and allow you to be quite expressive. It certainly beats the cheap Roland keys that i have on an FA-06 Synth.

The LX's are quite a bit slimmer too.
Yar. Great to hear responses. Thank you. So P6 delivered (gorgeous keyboard, working in Reaper) and Im spending time trying to "marry" the keyboard bed. I did notice the keys are a slight tad short, (white key) not much shorter that my Ensoniq Sd-1, 1/4 inch to be precise, and 1/2 inch shorter than my ol yamaha kx88. Almost nothing I guess but I still found my long fingers over the red bar playing Bb chords for example. I also did the same positions with my Sd-1, almost identical. only difference is the black keys are tapered towards the back of the key, where the p6 are flat all the way to the end. Dealbreaker? I dont think so. I truly WANT to love this keyboard bed but Im struggling. I spend an hour slowly pressing a single key and comparing with my SD-1. Response is almost "similar". I didnt feel any major glitches in the keybed. The P6 IS a semi-weighted keybed and the SD-1 is synth action. Am I being too picky? maybe/probably. Its not full apple to apples. I still need to play the S*it out of this baby for any comparison. All in all she's a beauty.

Please respond with your views on the 'keyboard' feel issues. The integration works fine.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
John57b

Like you I came from a synth action keyboard to semi-weighted keyboard like my StudioLogic SL88. My first impression was that the keys were heavy and a bit sluggish. With practice and a bit of a break-in it was better. The keyboard was delivered in Wintertime. I was concerned about my ability to do fast piano runs. That would been a deal breaker for me. I readjust the velocity curve on the SL88 and the keyboard became a keeper. You have to train you finger muscles to get used to the heavier keyboard. YouTube have videos that you can use for training exercises for your fingers on the piano that might be helpful.

Last edited by John57b; 04-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Jbyrd

Thanks John57b,

My very old Yamaha KX88 is a fully weighted controller (with killer action) so Im aware of the differences, the KX88 is just a beast to program, but I keep it for recording piano tracks. I'd still like to find a LX in a music store so I could compare the action to the P6. Seems they are not so easy to find these days without ordering online, and Im not returning the P6. Many reviews state the LX has a slightly better keyboard than the P series do.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Jbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Ya know, this is a good idea... except since I have the KX88 I just may buy the LX49+ so I can toss it onto my desktop, and use it on mobile jams on the boat and keep the P6 as the main integration board! Yar.