Old 11-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
aknuds1
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper ignores MIDI input

I am experiencing with the latest Reaper (4.75) on Windows 7 SP1 x64 that Reaper stops detecting input from my MIDI controller (Kawai VPC1), seemingly after the controller has turned itself off and I have turned it back on. I have to restart Reaper or change its MIDI device configuration (e.g. enabling another MIDI input helps) before it starts processing input again.
aknuds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
ivansc

Define what you mean by "turned itself off"

If this is the Kawai actually crashing, you will pretty much always need to reset everything in order to get it going again.

I used to have a "problem" keyboard controller that reset itself randomly on occasion back when I was using Cakewalk Sonar & had exactly the same experience as you are having with Reaper.

On the other hand if the Kawai merely sends itself to sleep after a while of no use, it might be a case of having to re-scan your MIDI devices in Reaper before continuing.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
aknuds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Define what you mean by "turned itself off"

If this is the Kawai actually crashing, you will pretty much always need to reset everything in order to get it going again.

I used to have a "problem" keyboard controller that reset itself randomly on occasion back when I was using Cakewalk Sonar & had exactly the same experience as you are having with Reaper.

On the other hand if the Kawai merely sends itself to sleep after a while of no use, it might be a case of having to re-scan your MIDI devices in Reaper before continuing.
It turns itself off automatically after a period of inactivity, perfectly normal. It seems that Reaper has to re-scan MIDI devices yes, but this shouldn't be necessary should it? I've mostly used Ableton for some time now, and it has no such problems. I can't recall having problems with Reaper in the past either.

Last edited by aknuds1; 11-12-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
donchilcott

Default Kawai controller

Is the Kawai usb? sounds like the usb hub could be "falling asleep" if your PC check device manager - usb hub and right click to access power mngt. There is a place to select if you want usb hub to shut off/save pwr...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
aknuds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
Is the Kawai usb? sounds like the usb hub could be "falling asleep" if your PC check device manager - usb hub and right click to access power mngt. There is a place to select if you want usb hub to shut off/save pwr...
It's USB yes. I don't think that's causing problems though; the Kawai shuts itself down to conserve power. After turning it back on, Reaper has to be made to re-scan. Ableton doesn't seem to suffer from this problem.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
serstickman

Running into the same issue here. 7.31 everything was perfect. upgrade to 7.5 and I have all kinds of midi troubles; Reaper unable to connect to midi port on my UR44--7.31 never had an issue.

When Reaper does connect to the port, I get no sound from any of my VST's. Again, using 7.31 I had zero issues. Hope this is fixed as my eval is up in another month and I've really enjoyed working in Reaper. But I gotta have midi or I can't use it & won't purchase a license till its running right again. Hate to have to go back to Logix or Cubase
Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
TimOBrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknuds1 View Post
the Kawai shuts itself down to conserve power. After turning it back on, Reaper has to be made to re-scan.
The owners manual suggests some computers USB power is insufficient and you'll have to use a AC power supply.

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/di...ers_Manual.pdf
Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Mink99

This is a well known behaviour of windows and not a reaper bug. If a usb device is disconnected and reconnected, windows will treat this device as a new one, which is not identical to the first, although it is the same hardware. Therefore, as reaper connects only at startup, the device is lost.

I think studio one has a reconnect feature , that will identify the new one as being identical to the old one and reconnect internally, but reaper does not.

So Aknuds, you should turn the power off feature off and everything will be fine.

@Serstickman, you problem seems to be something, that has nothing to do with the usb problem...
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
whiteaxxxe
Banned

there was at times a thing within midi, that was a kind of keep-alive/dont-fall-asleep-signal, "midi running mode" or similar? I think yes, but I am not sure. in Cubase Atari for some hooked up keyboards you had to switch that on I remember.

nowadays such a behaviour of devices falling asleep is most of the times a power management thing - or a thing with the USB-hub, when there are too much devices drawing too much current. (current on one USB-hub is limited and provided amongst the devices, it helps in that case maybe to give the keyboard its own real power supply.)

so it can come to the point, that the keyboard dies USB-wise, because another device is drawing too much current momentarily, and then Reaper looses the connection to the keyboard, because for Reaper it looks as if the keyboard were gone.

or all or some of all that cases together ...

I solved similar problems in buying an additional USB-card and switches the devices between the now 8 USB-ports until all devices were fine.

and hey, there is another catch: Windows doesnt get it, if you do that too often, it always remembers, which device you put into what port and starts the drivers for that. in worst case, if you have switched enough around, you end up with 8 drivers for each of the 8 ports active. and then Windows is confused at some point and messes everything up ... argh ....

but there is a solution. its called USBdeview, it gets rid of all not used drivers. (and if you arent careful, it gets rid of drivers that are used ... )

so, USB is a weird thing with many culprits ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
aknuds1

Anyway, Ableton doesn't exhibit this problem, so Reaper is being a pain in comparison. I can't recall Reaper behaving like this in the past either, but maybe I just didn't let the Kawai idle long enough to turn itself off at the time? Could be I switched to Ableton not too long after aquiring the VPC.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
nofish

There's a button in Preferences -> (Audio) -> MIDI Devices -> Reset all MIDI devices. This is also available as an action.

Not sure if it works in your case, but if it does that would at least be a bit quicker than restarting Reaper (you could map this action to a shortcut).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote