Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI love - transparent items (DONE)

CAVEAT: As usual, pardon a rea-tard if I simply can't find a preference that's already there somewhere.

Stacked midi clips should maybe allow seeing all the notes on all clips. In Reaper it doesn't seem to (...see the above caveat, I searched for "transparent" in prefs and looked at the media prefs, I didn't see it...).
Nuendo: You can see all the notes on both clips in the one lane (the kinda stupid "cross-hatch" overlap thing there aside). Of course, it too has track lanes line Reaper for stacking them vertically but when collapsed, you see all the notes.

Same with S1 ... notes visible through all stacked clips...

Reaper: Duplicate tracks with another clip on top of one, you can't see the notes behind it...

That becomes a tiny bit less flexible, for things like using CC automation clips separate from the midi musical clips....

Nuendo doesn't do much better as the CC data can obscure the note data...

S1 uses lines for CC data so it just shows up without really blocking out the note data, unless a flat line happens to be where a note is, then yeah, some blockage there also. So if the Reaper clip above was transparent, you'd just see the CC marks and the notes on the clip underneath it.

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
FnA

Something like this? Not sure what to tell you. Except item mix behavior makes a bit of difference here.

Last edited by FnA; 01-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

In REAPER, the smaller item will mask the longer one by default, so what you see is what you get. If you go to item properties, you can change the item mix behavior to "always mix" (you can also set this per-track or per-project, or change the default project setting), and then the smaller item will be transparent, both visually and audibly. Although if the smaller item is selected it will be hard to see the events behind it, in the default theme.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
FnA

The first shots were in "always mix." This one's in "enclosed items replace enclosing items." Using "Default Analog" theme. Don't remember what the default backgrounds/waveform coloring scheme was.

Last edited by FnA; 01-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Lawrence

And so goes the reason for the "caveat". "Item Mix" is not a phrase that would have ever come to my mind when searching for transparency. I will check that out.

Something told me I should have asked in "How To".

You can move this to HowTo to avoid the clutter. I've avoided Reaper's midi for so long 8 have a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks both.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-13-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
FnA

There's some things in the theme editor which are affecting my items there. I dont think that stuff will show up in the search box in preferences. It's probably not good that the stuff is showing through so clearly in Enclosed items replace...tricky getting that coloring stuff just right.