Old 05-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
-arranger-
Human being with feelings

Default AUTOMUTE AHHHH

hey guys, need some help without automute. i understand the +18db limit protect stuff etc. i believe i am gain staging correctly and have tried reducing the volume of the offending track and even all tracks until very low indeed but am still getting automute on one track.. all tracks have been recorded with plenty of headroom and there is no clipping... any tips? am i just missing something?

oh and i dont want to simply change the db safety limit to turn automute off...its there for a reason.

JUST AN UPDATE... when automute is active on the one track....the only two vst's (reverb and eq) the meter for each of these is reading 500DB!!!!!!

Last edited by -arranger-; 05-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.
-arranger- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -arranger- View Post
hey guys, need some help without automute. i understand the +18db limit protect stuff etc. i believe i am gain staging correctly and have tried reducing the volume of the offending track and even all tracks until very low indeed but am still getting automute on one track.. all tracks have been recorded with plenty of headroom and there is no clipping... any tips? am i just missing something?

oh and i dont want to simply change the db safety limit to turn automute off...its there for a reason.

JUST AN UPDATE... when automute is active on the one track....the only two vst's (reverb and eq) the meter for each of these is reading 500DB!!!!!!
That sounds to me like one of those VSTs is misbehaving / buggy (or perhaps even both). Try to disable them individually to isolate which one is causing the extreme volume, and perhaps also test the same plug-in in another host to confirm it's the plug-in rather than the host causing the issue. If it turns out to be the plug-in's fault, of course also report the issue to its developer.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
-arranger-

i have been using both the rev and eq plugins on vocals,guitars in every mix etc for 2 years and no issues.... so cant believe this is the case..any other guesses?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
i have been using both the rev and eq plugins on vocals,guitars in every mix etc for 2 years and no issues.... so cant believe this is the case..any other guesses?
Well, just test it: if you disable those plug-ins, do you still have the issue? If so, then they're probably not to blame. But if the issue disappears, that's a strong indication that the plug-in is the culprit. You may have simply been lucky not to have experienced the issue before. Fwiw, I have occasionally experienced similar issues with extreme volume spikes, and in every single case, the plug-in was to blame.

Sorry, no, I don't have any other guesses.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Mr. Data

Could you, by any chance, have accidentally installed a routing, leading to a feedback loop?

-Data
Old 05-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
What you describe would be quite typical for non-threadsafe plug-ins made with a save-as-VST application.

What plug-ins are that exactly?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
-arranger-

thanks guys ...turned out it was the eq....took it out and the issue was resolved. still strange tho i was using the same eq for several other tracks in the mix with no problems but hey ho!!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
musicbynumbers

Quote:
thanks guys ...turned out it was the eq....took it out and the issue was resolved. still strange tho i was using the same eq for several other tracks in the mix with no problems but hey ho!!
Could be something that caused the EQ to misbehave, which was it?

If there was a ton of infrasonic or ultrasonic frequencies it could possibly be that causing the EQ to "freq" out?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
What you describe would be quite typical for non-threadsafe plug-ins made with a save-as-VST application.

What plug-ins are that exactly?
This too!