Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Newbie88
Human being with feelings

Default Latency Issue, probably a quick fix

I am as green as it comes with setting up recording in general, Although I have a feeling this will be a relatively easy solution if I provide you the right info. Here is my dilemma, I am looking to record vocals, I can hear myself in the monitor and when I arm Reaper its getting vocals but the delay is .5-1 full second, I mean crazy delay. And if I try to record the cursor or meter doesn't move along, it will start, and then stop for seconds, then start and stop again. I am thinking I either have a setting off, or is possible my US-144 is no working properly, or maybe the soundcard on the computer is interfering some how? I'm trying to isolate the issue and greatly appreciate the feedback.

I have an HP Elite 64 Bit Windows 8, 2.5 Processor, 12 GB RAm
Using Tascam US-144

Audio settings are ASIO enable inputs are checked, Request sample rate is 44100 request block size 128, I have played with highest and lowest latency no noticeable difference, sample clock source automatic, Digital output format I have 2 options AES/EBU and s/PDIF, not sure what the difference is but I tried them both, in recording settings I have the box checked for Use audio driver reported Latency.
Newbie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
ambiguation

If you can hear a delay when recording, or when armed to record, then you're most likely monitoring through the computer.

The US-144 has zero-latency monitoring; what do you have the Mon Mix knob set to?

The stopping and starting doesn't sound right, either. What device do you have set in the Preferences? You're right in that the onboard sound card might be causing problems.
ambiguation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Newbie88

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.. In reading my last post I don't think I was completely clear.. there is no delay in the vocals thru the monitor.. My voice is realtime thru the monitor/Speaker.. its only thru Reaper there is the serious delay in it picking up the vocals.. once armed its a good .5-1 full second delay to see the eq move recognizing sound comig in.. and if I say more then "Mic check 1", it is never even close to real time.. then upon hitting record the needle that moves to the right showing time is elapsing, is sluggish at best.. I timed it from 1.1 - 2.1 took 49 seconds .. something is severely delaying the input of vocals into Reaper.

The Device I have selected is ASIO.. ASIO driver US-122/US-144 which is the only available. I have Mic Going in the Left Mic input.. and line out I have two RCAs going to my speakers. I hope I am giving you enough to work with. But something is interfering with the signal from the mic to Reaper the signal is getting there but its like its going into a huge room and bouncing around all the walls before it enters the window of reaper.. and then once I try to record there is some serious kinks in the engine the drives that movement of the needle. Sorry as I mentioned before I super new at all this and I am just trying to describe and give you the best view from this vantage point that I can. Your thoughts and feedback are super appreciated!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Newbie88

And I forgot to add.. is there any instruction you can give to see if the soundcard on the laptop is giving interference of some kind? Its preloaded with Beats Audio.. which may have been a mistake in purchasing this laptop.. I am hoping that's not the case
Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
ambiguation

If it comes to it, you can disable the onboard interface in the BIOS (press something like Del or F2 or F10 when the computer is first booting) but to be honest it shouldn't come to that; if you've told REAPER to use the Tascam then you should be good.

Maybe some of your settings tweaks have upset it; you normally don't need to tweak any of that stuff anyway; just tell it which interface and inputs & outputs to user and you should be all set.

Might be time to uninstall and reinstall REAPER.... takes about three minutes :-)
ambiguation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
g8torcliff

If you have active FX on the track you have armed to record in Reaper, the signal is going to be delayed while it is processed.... Personally, I would disable FX while recording and add them later.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote