Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
kaiman
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI through to all track FX

Simple question.
I have a vsti (reaktor) loaded in the first slot of a track and a filter plugin (fabfilter volcano) just below that. Now the filter plugin has the capability of receiving midi data, say from the mod wheel to control eg the filter cut off.
The trouble I have is that when I turn the mod wheel only the vsti (the first plugin in the line) responds to the midi data which isn't passed through to the filter in the second slot (the filter is set up correctly to receive incoming midi).

I know that I can achieve the same result using reaper's parameter modulation and midi learn (linking mod wheel to filter cut off from there) but its more time consuming for other parameters and I just want to do it natively inside the plugin (volcano).
In other words is there a way for incoming midi data to be sent to all plugins in the fx chain of one track simultaneously by default?
kaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiman View Post
In other words is there a way for incoming midi data to be sent to all plugins in the fx chain of one track simultaneously by default?
Hi kaiman, why do you have the reaktor before the filter? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I think the FX only work in series so if a FX doesn't pass the midi then obviously midi won't go beyond it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
kaiman

Reaktor is used as a vsti ie its the sound source thats why its before the filter. I'm asking if there is a way to configure reaper to send all incoming midi to all the track fx "in parallel" rather than "in series" manner.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

As per default the MIDI stream that comes out of a plugin will replace the original MIDI stream (which went into the plugin) in the chain. If your Reaktor patch eats its MIDI input, but you need the original stream further down, you can change that behavior in one of the best hidden settings Reaper has to offer:

- Open the GUI of your greedy plugin (Reaktor VSTi)
- At the top of the window find the box where the amount of in and outs is displayed (between "Param" and "UI") and right click it, which will spawn a dropdown menu
- in that menu navigate to "MIDI output" to open a submenu
- in that submenu enable "Merges with MIDI bus"

Now both, the original MIDI stream and any MIDI Reaktor creates, will be present after the Reaktor plugin. That's not the same as parallel, but should help you along nicely (if there's no disturbing MIDI messages Reaktor pumps into your stream).

There is a way to do parallel (with up to 16 "lanes") by using the MIDI-bus system, but it's a bit more involved. I never used that other than for a few experiments way back when, so I can't exactly help you with it.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
kaiman

That worked exactly as I wanted!
It may not be parallel midi but its kind of an everything-midi-through which -for what I was looking for- does the same job.
Many thanks gofer!
That menu though deserves a more prominent spot on the plugin box.It really should have its own button.