Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Default CUA Generic

This is (the re-birth of) an add-on app I'm developing for Studio One but this is the "generic" version that works with any DAW. Win only, .Net 4 and all that implies.

CUA = "Client Utility Application"

Download: http://theaudiocave.com/cuabeta/CUA_Generic.zip

Note: There is no "generic" manual yet and the included PDF manual is already outdated (and focused on the S1 version, some things won't apply) but generally speaking, the manual will still lead you toward most of the functionality.

For setup, just go to "Options" and point it to your Reaper song directory and it will - as you add new clients - create folders for them and - if you save (or move) your client songs there - it will manage the songs, allow launching from the UI, allow pulling songs into the session tracking, etc, etc.

In the S1 version the "set path" is a higher level directory one nesting above that assumes the application created "Songs" folder which that application always creates. In this generic version the path that's set is the literal songs directory.

Here's a YT link of what it was a few days ago to kinda see it in realtime, although it's changed a good bit in the few ways since then. There's a good bit more there than the little UI might imply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxdDvaWeX8

It will (should?) work much the same way in Reaper for the parts that apply, but the generic version doesn't embed the icon. Printing and exporting functions have been disabled in these version.

It's a "Beta 1" so... expect bugs... and as usual, backup before testing. Enjoy, and let me know about any issues.

This version will be free on release with small donations unlocking printing and text exporting and unlimited client capability.

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
jico27

Default W 7 compatible?

Hi,

I have MicrosoftNet Framework 4 installed.
But it seems i can't install CUA within Windows 7.

Any incompatibility?

Great idea anyway.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Lawrence

What happens when you try to install? Error messages?

I use Win 7 here also.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
jico27

When i click setup.exe, a small window appears and desappears very quickly and nothing else happens. I can't read what the window says.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
jico27

ok, the window says: "setup initializing components" and disappears
Old 12-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
What happens when you try to install? Error messages?

I use Win 7 here also.
If the only dependency is .NET 4 and it is already installed, there is no need for an installer. Just zip the contents of the debug or release folder; whichever one is the current build target. IIRC, with .NET 4 even if it isn't installed, it may tell you automatically still without an installer that .NET 4 is needed; need to confirm. Of course unless you have some need or desire to be building an installer which is likely the case. Its just an FYI that you can try with and without an installer to narrow down the issue.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If the only dependency is .NET 4 and it is already installed, there is no need for an installer. Just zip the contents of the debug or release folder; whichever one is the current build target. IIRC, with .NET 4 even if it isn't installed, it may tell you automatically still without an installer that .NET 4 is needed; need to confirm. Of course unless you have some need or desire to be building an installer which is likely the case. Its just an FYI that you can try with and without an installer to narrow down the issue.
Thanks for these precisions, but actually i'm not trying to build an installer, being a noob in programming.
I'm just trying to launch the application but i just don't know how.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
Thanks for these precisions, but actually i'm not trying to build an installer,
I know but Lawerence is and that is what I assume you are running. I was, in a roundabout way telling Lawrence he could for beta purposes send you the program zipped up and bypass the installer altogether or he could continue to troubleshoot the installer (the program itself and the installer are usually two different projects)

The reason I know it's an installer is because of: "Setup is initializing components". Looks like he is using the one-click deployment btw which doesn't concern you, just noticing. I'm not a big fan of one-click but it has its advantages. It worked here by the way.

@Lawrence

I launched it 5 times and the little top of screen icon gives no indication of the number of instances. I had to right click and Exit 5 times. Additionally, good form for lack of a better phrase would place that in the system tray and when right clicking show each instance... Or, set the properties of the app to only allow one instance depending on your intentions of course. I'm assue its there to make it appear as part of the app and convenient but might be a little kludgy in spirit unless you place some code that tells it to hide itself when said app is minimized. If it is system wide so to speak (available no matter what audio software you are running) then I'd still consider it being in the system tray. That's pretty simple to do, I think its called a NotifyIcon control FWIW.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-25-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Lawrence

Thanks Karbo.

I'll likely just set it to run single instance.

As to the installer, yeah, it's MS Click once.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
jico27

Well, whatever project will be usable, i'm looking forward to use it very soon...
Good luck!
Thanks a lot to both of you
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Lawrence

I'll post an update tomorrow when I get back to it. At any rate, I spent so much time studying how to code print routines in VB.net it kinda slowed everything else down. I actually tried to PM Karbo about it a couple of days back but his PM is turned off.

It's a - major - hassle until you understand how it all works, then it all becomes easy enough.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
I actually tried to PM Karbo about it a couple of days back but his PM is turned off.
It was full for a couple of hours but as far as I know it works. Will double check on it.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
At any rate, I spent so much time studying how to code print routines in VB.net it kinda slowed everything else down. I actually tried to PM Karbo about it a couple of days back but his PM is turned off.

How/what are you trying to print?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Lawrence

Quote:
How/what are you trying to print?
Things like sales invoices or any kind of custom formatted report really. You can get it done pretty easily with 'PrintForm' but (as I'm sure you know) the output resolution / print quality of that really sucks.

I'd pretty much just avoided "PrintDocument" in .Net from the start, ever since leaving VB6, not really ever having a need for it much anyway. It took me a couple of hours of studying source code samples before it finally kinda clicked, the methods.

My first inclination was to copy and paste source code from others to just get the reports printing and formatted correctly (the output) and then to stop and learn how to do it myself from studying the source code and writing it again myself. It took awhile.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Things like sales invoices or any kind of custom formatted report really. You can get it done pretty easily with 'PrintForm' but (as I'm sure you know) the output resolution / print quality of that really sucks.

I'd pretty much just avoided "PrintDocument" in .Net from the start, ever since leaving VB6, not really ever having a need for it much anyway. It took me a couple of hours of studying source code samples before it finally kinda clicked, the methods.

My first inclination was to copy and paste source code from others to just get the reports printing and formatted correctly (the output) and then to stop and learn how to do it myself from studying the source code and writing it again myself. It took awhile.
Ah, if you are saving the data in a database or other strongly typed structured format you could just use the report viewer control which has most of those extra built-in. You could possibly create the invoice template in XML and have the report viewer digest that, don't quote me, been awhile.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Lawrence

Quote:
Ah, if you are saving the data in a database or other strongly typed structured format you could just use the report viewer control which has most of those extra built-in. You could possibly create the invoice template in XML and have the report viewer digest that, don't quote me, been awhile.
Nah. I'm storing the relative data in text files and the printouts are coming from DataViewGrid and some other places, so I kinda have to just lay it all out step by step as needed, as the output comes from 2-3 different places, depending on the printout.

Suffice to say (again, as you well know) .Net's PrintDocument is (relatively speaking) a good bit more difficult than it was in VB6 with Printer.Print.

It was (imo) probably the #1 thing VB6 coders complained about when .Net first arrived.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Lawrence

Update: No generic version, just switching between 3 workstations.

http://wp.me/p2Z4rd-44

Gig:

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #18
jico27

Hi,

it's ok for launching the app now. But adding new clients and setting the directories in a reaper session don't let the songs to show up in the list.
btw, where is the data stored? i can't reload my clients. It seems that nothing is saved.

I also have an error message when i click sessions:
"Unhandled exception has occured in your app... Number of copies to create must be strictly positive. Parameter name: count"

Details:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Number of copies to create must be strictly positive.
Parameter name: count
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.Add (Int32 count)
at StudioOne_Client_Utility.Clients.Load_Session_Grid ()
at StudioOne_Client_Utility.Clients.lblSesInfo_Click( Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.544 (RTMLDR.030319-5400)
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Studio One Client Utility
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///E:/Users/JMR/Documents/Reaper/CUA_beta2/Studio%20One%20Client%20Utility.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.544 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.560 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.568 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///E:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Lawrence

Quote:
Hi,

it's ok for launching the app now. But adding new clients and setting the directories in a reaper session don't let the songs to show up in the list.
btw, where is the data stored? i can't reload my clients. It seems that nothing is saved.
The location of where the client data is stored is \MyDocuments. The page I linked to where the download is explained that...

Quote:
The basic client data files (client and session info) are global to all 3 workstations and are now stored by default in a “\My Documents\Client Utility Application” folder.
Make sure you enter client names as instructed, by hitting "Enter" after entering the last name, while still in the last name field.

The songs - if you should decide to have it list your songs - have to be placed in a directory that you tell the app to look for them...

Quote:
Example: A path set for Reaper of E:\Reaper would put the client song folders for Reaper songs in E:\Reaper\Songs.
So it always lists song from a "Songs" folder beneath whatever directory path you set.

I think the error you're getting is probably somehow related to not having valid client names. I'll try to recreate that here and trap it. Thanks for the bug report.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
Lawrence

I think I trapped that error, here's an updated exe file. Thanks for the report.

Updated Exe

Here's the code block that loads the data grid when you click that button, for Karbo and other VB'ers who might have ideas on what else is wrong there. The error 'trap' is the Try/Catch block for a row count of less than 1, which I think caused your error, that the grid cannot add a row with a negative value, it has to be at least 1.

Code:
Dim Path As String = My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.MyDocuments & "\Client Utility Application\"

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists(Path & ClientList.Text & "\session_data.aod") = True Then
            'SessionGrid.Rows.Add()

Dim Row As Integer, Col As Integer
            Dim SessionData as String

Row = 0
            Dim FReader = My.Computer.FileSystem.OpenTextFileReader(Path & "\" & ClientList.Text & "\session_data.aod")
            SessionData = FReader.ReadLine

Dim x As Integer
            x = Int(SessionData)  'Get the first line from the file to tell me how many rows to read.

'Trap the corner case exception of bad integer pointer to row count
            Try
                SessionGrid.Rows.Add(x)
            Catch
                x = 1
            End Try

If x > 0 Then
                Dim I As Integer
                For I = 0 To x - 1

For Col = 0 To 7
                        SessionData = FReader.ReadLine
                        SessionGrid.Item(Col, I).Value = SessionData
                    Next

Next I
            End If

FReader.Close()
            FReader.Dispose()
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Lawrence

Note: You were right about the client data not saving. I had commented out a code line during testing and never put it back.

Sorry about that.

The same new exe file linked above is now Beta 2c. Client data should get saved now (again).

Beta 2c <---Right Click and "Save Link As..."

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-28-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
karbomusic

I typically don't use try/catch unless absolutely necessary; you want to be able to predict and handle what might go wrong without throwing first chance exceptions whenever possible. I did use one below for opening the file because you have no control over what happens when you hand the request to the filesystem. But for the row number, just check it for validity and act accordingly and never let it actually throw an error using up extra cycles:
Code:
        Dim FReader
        Dim x As Integer = 0

' We want a try/catch here as the underlying filesystem could have issues that is out of our hands
        Try
            FReader = My.Computer.FileSystem.OpenTextFileReader("C:\temp\test.txt")
        Catch ex As Exception
            ' open failed, warn and return
            MessageBox.Show("Error opening client file: " & ex.Message)
            Return
        End Try

' Test that the value is an integer by trying to convert. If not a number, x=0
        Int32.TryParse(FReader.ReadLine, x)

If = 0 Then
            ' It wasn't a number warn and return
            MessageBox.Show("Could not determine row count. List may be empty or corrupt.")
            Return
        End If

' Loop goes here, we never make it here if something goes wrong above.
I could think of a few ways such as just reading the entire file into an array or list. That way you have one single access to the file. Its OK to sequentially loop the file especially if it is big but if I don't have a memory concern (AKA huge file), I'm just going to load the contents into something easy to work with and set the grids datasource to that list/array etc.

Come to think of it, that reader should be in a Using statement which will automatically dispose of everything. Notice I forgot to dispose, not needed with using. So the above will work but the reader still needs to be properly destroyed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=VS.90%29.aspx

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
jico27

Quote:
I think I trapped that error, here's an updated exe file. Thanks for the report.
Sorry, this doesn't seem to be a valid link. I get a 404 error.
Same thing for 'beta 2c' link.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
Lawrence

Quote:
Sorry, this doesn't seem to be a valid link. I get a 404 error.
Same thing for 'beta 2c' link.
It must be due to it being an exe file. Instead, try right clicking on it and doing a "Save Link As...", which works here for me.

But yeah, directly clicking it returns an error, probably because it's an executable file.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
Lawrence

Quote:
I could think of a few ways such as just reading the entire file into an array or list. That way you have one single access to the file. Its OK to sequentially loop the file especially if it is big but if I don't have a memory concern (AKA huge file), I'm just going to load the contents into something easy to work with and set the grids datasource to that list/array etc.
I'll check in to it. The data is setup in a text file with each field written to a single line in sequential order. Maybe not the best way to approach it.

What it does is open the file and read the data in one line at a time so it's only accessing (opening and closing) the file once, the loop is just "next line / next line". It's such a small app there won't be any memory concerns but there still might be a faster way to get the data in/out.

But I get what you're saying. I could just load the entire file in one read and then read the lines in from RAM.

Thanks, I'll check into the other method.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:

Thanks, I'll check into the other method.
There are a couple of things you'll run into but its worth the effort by far. Look at how many lines it saves ya to load the grid with the contents of the file with only two lines of code:

Code:
        Dim rows() As String = System.IO.File.ReadAllLines("C:\temp\test.txt")
        ClientDataGrid.DataSource = rows
In addition rows.Length and ClientDataGrid.RowCount will give you the number of rows if you need it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
Lawrence

Cool, I'll have a look, thanks Karbo.

As to the number of rows, I parse those on the way out (during the save) and print that number as the first line in the text file. What I was trying to do there was avoid using a "Do/Loop Until EOF" by taking in the first line as the number of rows on read, knowing exactly how many rows the file will need.

So when I save the file I print .RowCount-1 as the first line o the data file as a pointer for how many rows to add on the read operation, since I have to clear them all out before every load.

I'm sure people that do actual database type programming (not me ) would probably approach all that in a much better way. My methodology there must look like a bit of a hack.

Anyway, it's a really small app. I think there's less than 1500 lines of code in there.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
jico27

Hi,

Sorry, but i still have no luck with beta 2c downloading.
It returns a 'server problem' error message, with firefox or chrome.
But it's ok with the 'updated.exe' file.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
Shan

Quote:
This is (the re-birth of) an add-on app I'm developing for Studio One but this is the "generic" version that works with any DAW. Win only, .Net 4 and all that implies.

CUA = "Client Utility Application"[/img]
Nice DAW utility you have here Lawrence. Good stuff. I'll give it a run in the PT world.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Nice DAW utility you have here Lawrence. Good stuff. I'll give it a run in the PT world.

Shane
Thanks Shane. I'll be releasing the 1.0 this weekend or so with *.ptf / *.ptx support in the "Songs" section. I'm modiying a good bit of that so it can switch to multiple song formats for that part of it. Currently beta 3 has about 8 daw song formats listed for switching.

I'll more than likely unlock the printing and all that and just hope for donations instead of trying to sell it. I have to rewrite a good bit of the PDF before releasing it though.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
Lawrence

BETA 3

Added option menu to switch between various DAWs. You'll have to reset / resave your root path in options for Reaper or another host.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
Lawrence

Released ... Client Utility Application 1.0

Release version 1.0. Free. All features enabled. Please read the PDF for use instructions. Enjoy. Report any bugs here and not on the Reaper forum. If you find value, please donate.

Thanks.