Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-27-2015, 02:36 AM   #1
jsuttonmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Min\Max, Scaling Flexibility for MIDI Learn (Control Message\Absolute Mode Fix)

Hey guys,

Request:
More Flexible Control in the Midi Learn Window when operating in Control Message Mode.

Benefit:
Would allow an external controller to map portions of commands parameters, allowing finer control of parameters with wide ranges when using a less conventional midi controller like a BCR2000 with the "enable input for control messages" option checked exclusively.

Reason:

I stumbled upon a bit of an issue today while trying to map my BCR2000 to controls within REAPER using the Control Message mode. All the parameters on the BCR, when mapped this way, require mapping parameters in Absolute mode, which will map to the min/max of the parameter automatically.

Specifically, I was trying to map the release knob to a knob on the controller, and noticed that there was no way to change the scaling of the input to allow finer input of the lower range of the release. (the release parameter ranges from 0-5000ms, and really I think it'd be better if the point at the midi maximum was 100ms)

Implementation Ideas:

Other DAWs like FL Studio allow you to modulate the curve of the input by entering an actual equation to the variable.

I think it might be possible to really improve this workflow if you guys implemented one of the following:

*lower level access in that window so you could morph the way the parameter is interpreted by the controller.

*separate parameters to change things like scale and offset like you can in the Parameter Modulation "Link from MIDI of FX parameter" window for the midi learn window.

*The ability to set mins/maxes for the midi learn.

Last edited by jsuttonmusic; 12-27-2015 at 04:02 AM.
jsuttonmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
jsuttonmusic
Human being with feelings

This actually isn't as important as it had seemed, as a wonderful person on the RUG Facebook Group informed me that the BCR2000 has software that allows you to workaround this issue by switching the knobs into Relative mode, which seems to work way better with REAPER's current functionality.

Having more control over rates and ranges might still be useful though for unorthodox controllers.

Last edited by jsuttonmusic; 12-27-2015 at 03:59 AM.
jsuttonmusic is offline   Reply With Quote