Old 09-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
woggle
Human being with feelings

Default only split single items

I never want to split multiple items at the same place with a single action. Is there a method for split item at edit cursor that will never allow multiple items to be selected and split.
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
noise_construct

Split will split everything you have selected at Edit cursor even if the items are locked.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
woggle

Thanks for replying.
If I have selected them it would be okay - unfortunately it splits all items if nothing is selected. This is terrible for doing a lot of editing for someone like me who makes occasional typing errors

(S = only split selected items) is what I am looking for I think whereas the behaviour seems to be (S = only split selected items unless nothing is selected in which case split everything)
Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 AM   #4
noise_construct

Keep in mind that REAPER is made by programmers for the love of programming computers, not by musicians. To really get the most out of REAPER, prepare to spend many times more time just setting up stuff and finally coding your own scripts to achieve a fluid workflow that is available in other DAWs out of the box.

There's an action available that splits the item currently under mouse cursor regardless of selection, "Item: Split item under mouse cursor", which could work for you better.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:15 AM   #5
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
Keep in mind that REAPER is made by programmers for the love of programming computers, not by musicians. To really get the most out of REAPER, prepare to spend many times more time just setting up stuff and finally coding your own scripts to achieve a fluid workflow that is available in other DAWs out of the box.

There's an action available that splits the item currently under mouse cursor regardless of selection, "Item: Split item under mouse cursor", which could work for you better.
totally agree re the Reaper design philosophy. I have been using Reaper for many years off and on and after a bit of a gap the last two projects (sound design for video) have been done in Reaper again. Been a real pain. Now testing Tracktion (which requires items to be selected to be split) but just waiting for an excuse/spare cash to shift to Mac and use Logic
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
RobertP

Is this to do with ripple editing?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #7
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Is this to do with ripple editing?

no - just simple splitting items
Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 AM   #8
heda

deactivate this setting:
REAPER preferences > Editing Behaviour > If no items are selected, some split/trim/delete actions affect all items at edit cursor
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:41 AM   #9
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
deactivate this setting:
REAPER preferences > Editing Behaviour > If no items are selected, some split/trim/delete actions affect all items at edit cursor
thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for - huge help and very much appreciated

also - any idea what the use case is for having some split/trim/delete actions affect all items at edit cursor when no items are selected? It seems a strange default setting to me, but that is obviously biased by my needs and most people may like the default for some reason I have not had myself

Last edited by woggle; 09-19-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
heda

I don't know why is on by default. Many options by default are not good to me either. so I deactivated the option. It's good that REAPER gives us many settings to change the defaults
heda is offline   Reply With Quote