Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-22-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default Bug relating to recording & scrolling (FIXED)

Tonight before the concert started I had a little time to try to crash Reaper and found out what the problem is I had encountered on the last gig. I'm starting a new thread to make it more specific than the last one.

Basically, when recording, if you hold the horizontal scrollbar on the right hand end of its travel when the recording cursor is about to go off the right hand side and redraw, down goes Reaper. I've now reproduced this quite easily twice on the laptop using a long project (more than one hour) and with more difficulty on the desktop using a new project. I think there's something about it more likely to happen with a longer one. The problem seems to be that Reaper wants to move the scrollbar and you're not letting it. Now you might think that's an unlikely bit of user behaviour, but I'm pretty sure I've done it accidentally several times now. I suspect that if you move the scrollbar to the right and don't realise you're at the end of its travel, just when the recording gets to the right hand side, then you only need to have held it for a moment "jammed on the right" and that's enough to cause the crash.

On the desktop I was using v1.0b6, and on the laptop both that version and the new RC1 version. In other words, the rather nice reworking of the peak display when recording (thanks for that!) does not fix the bug - that version too will crash under the circumstances described.

The "error signature" is described at follows:-

AppName reaper.exe AppVer 1.0.0.22 ModName: reaper.exe
ModVer 1.0.0.22 Offset 0004f72a

Hope that helps. Till this is fixed, especially anyone doing longish recordings, don't move the scrollbar all the way to the right (use the ' key instead) when recording.

Last edited by Justin; 08-22-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

See http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...ed=1#post20124 for further discussion on this, caused by me posting this thread in the wrong forum to begin with... sorry for muddle... someone else has now confirmed this bug so maybe no further discussion is actually necessary.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Any additional insight of how to get it to happen would help (what zoom level, in particular, if it matters at all). I'm trying to duplicate it now... if I can't I'll start disassembling b6 and see if I can't narrow it down... Happy that you could reproduce this, though, hoping to fix asap

-J
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Oh wait, I think I got it! Ouch! My bad! Divide by zero! Easy fix, though...

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

These things happen in the best regulated families.... glad you've seen it now and are optimistic for an easy fix.

You know, the number of repeatable crash reports in Reaper just related to normal operations (as opposed to stuff caused by particular 3rd party FX or whatever) have been remarkably small, no? I'm struggling to think of another one apart from this since way back.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

RC2 is up and a fix for this is listed - testing later.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Art Evans
Mortal

Can't break it now - as far as I am concerned this is fixed - thanks!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
kenn
Human being with feelings

Hi Art,

At work (I'm a webapp programmer), we use bug reporting systems to report and track bugs. One of its features is that when a bug is fixed, the person who logged the bug will test again, and if it's fixed, they "close" the bug.

In a similar fashion, maybe the person who first reports a bug in this forum (...or a moderator) should retest after the fix, and if the problem is gone, the thread title could be amended (eg add "FIXED!" or "BUG CLOSED" to the thread title. It would make it easier to ignore old bugs in the thread titles.

cheers.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #9
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

this doesn't work here yet. although you can change the title of the thread, it doesn't get shown in the folders. you'll only see it in the post itself. see http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2171 for example
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote