Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-26-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
geoffroy
Human being with feelings

Default Easy automation of VST/VSTi parameters

Hello

The thing I would like the most in Reaper is easy automation of plugins parameters.

1. add a vst plugin to a track, open the GUI
2. press record - no track needs to be armed, so basically there's no more "can't record - no tracks armed for recording" anymore
3. move parameters in the plugin GUI
4. press stop
5. the "enveloppe" icon next to the track status changed (turn red for instance ?) : it shows that one FX parameter changed during recording
6. you can press this enveloppe button
7. the vst parameter which was modified during recording is highlighted, and its state is "visible"

The parameters changes would be recorded as relative, so if you change a plugin parameter while *not* recording, the whole enveloppe would go down or high depending on the new value

What would you think ?

best regards

geoffroy
geoffroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
airon

No need to reinvent the wheel.

I suggest you take a look at the manual of Protools HD 7.2 available at the Digidesign website. Look up automation and see what people are using a LOT. No Nuendo does not do this, but Reaper may. It can address a Mackie Control Universal, so it might as well take advantage of its faders for fx parameters, AUX sends and Pans as well.

Automation modes like that'll push the value of Reaper by leaps and bounds.

VCA groups would be nice too. Much better than bussing your signals.

Before some of you answer, do take 10 minutes to read the relevant manual entry. Protools is the only critter on the block with this stuff.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
geoffroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
No need to reinvent the wheel.
I am not reinventing the wheel, it's just how Ableton Live behaves (and I love this automation part of that program)

I will definitely look at Pro Tools automation
geoffroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
EnzymeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy
I am not reinventing the wheel, it's just how Ableton Live behaves (and I love this automation part of that program)

I will definitely look at Pro Tools automation
Live is not perfect. If you want to actually record your mod wheel tweaking filter cutoff into a session clip, you have to use two midi tracks and a loopback driver to fool Ableton into recording the data. Further, if you use the linear view of ableton to record the data and then want to move the track to a session clip for arrangement, the remapped automation envelope does not go with it.

I am confident that Justin and crew will implement VST automation/remote control in a way that will really work, both for real time recording and for flexible envelope control.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote