Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Hartley Mays
Human being with feelings

Default TuxGuitar Notation Editor alpha uploaded

Hello!

This post follows from the "Integrate Score Editor as an Extension" thread, but I thought a new one should be started specific to TuxGuitar. I've uploaded a .rar file to the stash with a preliminary version of a modified TuxGuitar that (hopefully) can be used as a midi notation editor for Reaper.

TuxGuitar is an open source project hosted on Sourceforge. It is an active project with a large, international community, and has other features besides the notation editor that may be of interest to Reapers, specifically guitar tablature stuff. Here's a link to the home page:

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

Here are some notes on this initial release:

1. You need to have a Java 1.6 JRE installed on your PC to use it.
2. It has been tested on Windows XP, but not in any other environments.
3. The JSmooth open source project, also hosted on SourceForge, was used to create the .exe which loads TuxGuitar.
4. There are some minor differences between this version, and the native 1.2 version of TuxGuitar, due to problems I had trying to build under Netbeans. These should be reconciled in the next release.
5. The midi file you select in Reaper to open with TuxGuitar should be opened automatically when TuxGuitar initializes. You can make changes to the score using its notation editor. To save them back into the same file so that Reaper will have them, just select the File menu item, then "Export Midi".
6. For the alpha testing, I've used an option in JSmooth to create the .exe which opens a console window for TuxGuitar. If you have problems, please copy the output from this window to help in the problem determination.
7. TuxGuitar has a real good help file with extensive instructions about how to use its notation (score) editor.
8. The score can be printed.
9. The clef to be used can be selected within TG, but multiple clefs (i.e. regular piano notation with bass and treble clefs) are not supported (currently).

As discussed in the other thread, we hope to add socket communication between Reaper and TG, which will greatly extend the functionality. Before proceding with that, we need to know if the TuxGuitar score/notation editor will work well enough to go forward.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
MaximKorobov

Could you pls make a simple instruction about how to install it? My main q. about it is what extension I should type in External Editors Preferences to open midi pieces of project in TuxGuitar (TG).

Also, if I just open tuxedo.exe, it have strange behavior (picture 1) - no images, no good captions/labels. Seems like exe didn't found path to skins and language files.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (26.6 KB, 854 views)
MaximKorobov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
carbon

Excellent news, testing...

I get the same blank toolbar icon display.

Also I didn't get the MIDI item in REAPER to update.
Does REAPER need to be set handling MIDI items as linked external files for the update to happen?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Hartley Mays

I'll work now on a complete set of instructions and get it uploaded.

I used an option in JSmooth that should set up the java path to be set at execution time based on where the folder is, so I'm not sure what the problem with the icons is. Please check Tools -> Settings -> Skins (from the left hand column), and see what skin it defaulted to. "Lavendar" is the one I have working on my system. Also, be sure that you set up the "tuxedo.exe" as the external editor for .mid files in Reaper, not the jar file.

Reaper will use .mid for the extension on midi items that can be opened externally. My modified TuxGuitar should open whatever file is passed to it as an argument from Reaper without checking the extension. The file name is echoed in the command window.

In order to export the changed file back to Reaper, you have to use the Export option on the File tab; it should then copy it back into Reaper. This only works on copies of the original midi items, since Reaper keeps the original midi file embedded in the project, not in a separate file.

Thanks for the initial testing, hopefully we'll get things rolling soon,
Hartley
Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Hartley Mays

Default Another thing to try

Regarding the icons/skin problem, if the skin setting is correct per my previous post, try moving the Share folder down one level so that it's at the same level as the Tuxedo.jar file rather than the Tuxedo.exe. It seems to works either way on my system, but it's worth trying.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
MaximKorobov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Mays View Post
I used an option in JSmooth that should set up the java path to be set at execution time based on where the folder is, so I'm not sure what the problem with the icons is. Please check Tools -> Settings -> Skins (from the left hand column), and see what skin it defaulted to. "Lavendar" is the one I have working on my system. Also, be sure that you set up the "tuxedo.exe" as the external editor for .mid files in Reaper, not the jar file.
I doesn't see skins available for some time (2.PNG).
After your advice (moving content of share folder one level up), skins and toolbar buttons pictures were back (3.PNG). As you can see captions/labels stay same (without using lang files).

But, even now Reaper doesn't open TuxGuitar as MIDI editor. Please see 4.PNG and tell what I should do anymore?
Note that TuxGuitar path doesn't consist spaces (known java issue).
Attached Images
File Type: png 2.PNG (21.3 KB, 742 views)
File Type: png 3.PNG (49.8 KB, 559 views)
File Type: png 4.PNG (38.8 KB, 711 views)
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Hartley Mays

Maxim,

It looks like we're making progress now, that's good.

It looks like you have the External Editor configured correctly in the Preferences. What options do you see when you right click on a copy of a midi item? There should be an option to "Open Items in Midi Editor" and selecting that option should show a subwindow with a list of options including "open items with tuxedo.exe". Are you getting that far? Remember that you have to work with copies of the midi items, as I mentioned above.

Hartley
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
MaximKorobov

Nothing is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (59.5 KB, 602 views)
Old 02-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Hartley Mays

In the External Editor preferences, make the extension just "mid" rather than ".mid" and see if it works. Didn't notice that in the screenshot you sent until now.

Good Luck,
Hartley
Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
MaximKorobov

It is ok now, THANKS
Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Hartley Mays

Default Great News

Great news, Maxim.

I'll upload a replacement install .rar to the stash later today with the Share folder moved and a readme with installation and usage notes.

Later,
Hartley
Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
MikeLacey

Nice ....

Old 02-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Hartley Mays

Default Replacement .rar on the stash now

OK, I've replaced the initial .rar file in the stash with an updated version. There are three relatively minor changes in this version. It's not critical to replace what you have if you moved the Share folder and got the initial release working.

The three changes are:
1. Moved the Share folder down one level so it's at the same level as the TuxGuitar jar.
2. Added a ReaperReadme txt file which has more detailed installation and usage notes, and a changelog.
3. The only code change was to add some messages to the startup so that some diagnostic information gets outputted showing which code version is running, your java home, current class path, what version of the JRE, etc.

Later,
Hartley
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
carbon

Got the icons finally working when I moved the skins folder from dist\lib to the root.

The export MIDI still has no effect on the item in REAPER.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
KevinW

Hmm, I think this shows promise. After I moved the skins folder as suggested, it seems to work well. At first I was concerned that it would keep making copies of the items, but then I realized I could just double click the copied item, edit away in TG, and export midi back to Reaper, and all is well.

TG seems a little fiddly, though. I guess I'm used to working with SmartScore, where I can add/delete/select notes as one might expect. TG seems to require a different method. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. The inability to drag notes around does seem a bit limiting, though. And for some reason, I can only delete notes if I select them on the guitar tab. It won't let me delete notes from the staff. I have to wonder if that's by design, or if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks for your work on this. If there's anything specific you'd like me to try out for you (as another system to test things on), let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Is it in your vision (and/or is it possible) to have the CC's go back and forth? Right now, if I edit an item in TG then export it back, the only thing returned to Reaper are the notes. This makes it not terribly useful for an editing tool (at least for piano type instrument tracks). Could still be a way to print scores though.

Last edited by KevinW; 02-14-2010 at 02:04 PM.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
Hartley Mays

Default export, cc's

Carbon,

On your export problem, are you getting any error messages in the console window when you do the export? Are you checking the copy of the midi item that Reaper exports to TG as opposed to the initial item embedded in the project? Could you check the directory of the project file with Windows Explorer by refereshing the view after you do the export to see if it shows an updated timestamp? Also, remember that when you click on the Export Midi when using TG from Reaper, it doesn't open a save dialogue, it just writes the changed file back to the same file that was imported.

Kevin,

I'll look into the cc export. I agree we need to fix it for TG to be usable. It may sort of open a larger can of worms though in that when you make changes in the notes using the notation editor, it will be desirable to move, delete, and add cc's correspondingly.

Thanks to both of you for the testing and comments,
Hartley
Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
carbon

Quote:
On your export problem, are you getting any error messages in the console window when you do the export? Are you checking the copy of the midi item that Reaper exports to TG as opposed to the initial item embedded in the project? Could you check the directory of the project file with Windows Explorer by refereshing the view after you do the export to see if it shows an updated timestamp? Also, remember that when you click on the Export Midi when using TG from Reaper, it doesn't open a save dialogue, it just writes the changed file back to the same file that was imported.
Yes, I was checking the copy...
The console doesn't display errors, after export it reads:

MidiExportAction execute: calling midiSongExporter
MidiExportAction execute: return from midiSongExporter

The timestamp as well as the contents of the *.mid file doesn't change.
Checked that also by manually importing to reaper.

It's cool to see the notes/tabs though - efforts highly appreciated.

EDIT: When exporting the second time, it opens a save as dialog, but even if overwriting the original *.mid file, the changes made in Tux are ignored and the timestamp remains the same.

@KevinW

As TuxGuitar is mainly guitar tab orientated, I think it'll never have the flexibility, features of a standard note editor. The editing takes mainly place at the tab, the score is more of a added bonus
Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
jayendra

not using this with reaper but thanks for pointing it out as a free notation option - kids at school installed it on a usb stick no problems and can run it on their non installable laptops
Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Hartley Mays

Default Please upload console log and midi file?

Carbon,

Could you please upload the console log and the midi file you're not able to export back into Reaper?

I looked further into the export code last night and didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks,
Hartley
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
carbon

How do I get the console log?

Here are the midi, tg and rpp.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TuxTest.zip (3.4 KB, 241 views)
Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #21
Hartley Mays

Default command/consolw window

You should be able to do a copy and paste from the command window that echoes all the java messages.

I just got home from the day job. I'll work on this later this evening.

Thanks,
Hartley
Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
carbon

Quote:
You should be able to do a copy and paste from the command window that echoes all the java messages.
Can't select anything from that window, ctrl+c closes the window instead of copying.

EDIT: Removed screenshot, as problem was solved by following hint.

Last edited by carbon; 02-16-2010 at 12:06 AM.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Hartley Mays

Default Select/Copy and Reaper owning the item

Carbon,

To select and copy the text from the command window, you right or left click on the little window icon at the top left of the window. This will open a context menu of options which includes "Edit ->". When you select this edit option, you'll get a second list which includes a "Select All" option. Do that first, then repeat the process and select the "copy" option. That gets the text onto the clipboard from which you can paste it whereever you want to.

From the java exception in the log you provided above, it appears Reaper is not releasing the item, and that prevents the subsequent update. I'm not sure why this would happen; when TuxGuitar becomes the active window, I get "offline" messages in the midi items in my project that are separate files. Do you see this on your Reaper? Are you initially using the option to edit copies of the item(s) rather than the original item? If not, try it and see if it changes the behavior. Meanwhile, I'll check the Reaper Guide and experiment myself to try to see what's going on. The question is why Reaper still thinks it owns the item.

Later,
Hartley
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
Hartley Mays

Default From the 3.3 User Guide p. 125

"If the external editor works destructively on your files then the safer option is to open a copy. This copy will then be inserted into your track when you save it, close the editor and return to REAPER."

So hopefully, it will work properly when you open a copy and replace it?

Good Luck,
Hartley
Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #25
carbon

Quote:
From the java exception in the log you provided above, it appears Reaper is not releasing the item, and that prevents the subsequent update. I'm not sure why this would happen; when TuxGuitar becomes the active window, I get "offline" messages in the midi items in my project that are

Thanks, this one gave it away

I checked the "Set Media Items Offline..." in the preferences and it now works.

Problem solved!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #26
Hartley Mays

Default Update Readme, work on cc's

Great news to start the day!

I'll update the readme with this additional information in the next release. Tonight, I'll start work on the cc exports, don't know yet what it will take to deal with that.

Later,
Hartley
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #27
KevinW

Hartley,
Another thing I'd be curious to know is how TG handles quantizing. I can envision a situation where I export an un-quantized (or maybe "humanized" quantized) track to TG, edit a few pitches, then send it back to Reaper. Will the timing be preserved? Or will TG put the edited notes precisely on the beat?

Just one more thing to consider, I guess.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #28
Hartley Mays

Default quantizing

I'm not aware of any Quantisizing options at all in TuxGuitar. I'll check further tonight to be sure. It does use the typical notation editor option where you select the duration of the note you want to enter, so specific edits will essentially be doing some quantisizing. We do need to explicitly document that behavior.

Hartley
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
swordfish

Default missing icons

I have tried the suggestions to get the missing icons to appear but have had no luck. Any suggestions would be welcome
swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #30
Hartley Mays

Default missing icons?

Could you attach or copy the console log from your test to the forum so I could review it?

Thanks,
Hartley
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #31
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
I have tried the suggestions to get the missing icons to appear but have had no luck. Any suggestions would be welcome
Did you try this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon
Got the icons finally working when I moved the skins folder from dist\lib to the root.

This is what helped me (contrary to other suggestions, strangely).
Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #32
swordfish

I have attached copy of log below,I hope I can get this working because this project looks really worthwhile, thanks:

ArugmentParser constructor: Entry
ArugmentParser checkReaper: Entry
usage: REAPER
File =C:\Users\User1\Documents\REAPER Media\untitled MIDI item copy
007.mid
Reaper Use set
File = C:\Users\User1\Documents\REAPER Media\untitled MIDI item copy
007.mid
Exports Directory = C:\Users\User1\Documents\REAPER Media\
Imports Directory = C:\Users\User1\Documents\REAPER Media\
ArgumentParser makeURL: Entry
1.png: not found
2.png: not found
4.png: not found
8.png: not found
16.png: not found
32.png: not found
64.png: not found
tempo.png: not found
grace.png: not found
layout_page.png: not found
layout_linear.png: not found
layout_multitrack.png: not found
layout_score.png: not found
layout_compact.png: not found
new.png: not found
open.png: not found
save.png: not found
save-as.png: not found
print.png: not found
print-preview.png: not found
edit_undo.png: not found
edit_redo.png: not found
edit_voice_1.png: not found
edit_voice_2.png: not found
edit_mode_selection.png: not found
edit_mode_edition.png: not found
edit_mode_edition_no_natural.png: not found
icon.png: not found
splash.png: not found
about_description.png: not found
about_license.png: not found
about_authors.png: not found
option_view.png: not found
option_style.png: not found
option_sound.png: not found
option_skin.png: not found
option_language.png: not found
option_toolbars.png: not found
timesignature.png: not found
tempoicon.png: not found
openrepeat.png: not found
closerepeat.png: not found
repeat_alternative.png: not found
song_properties.png: not found
track_add.png: not found
track_remove.png: not found
dotted.png: not found
doubledotted.png: not found
division-type.png: not found
fretboard.png: not found
firstfret.png: not found
fret.png: not found
chord.png: not found
tiednote.png: not found
transport.png: not found
transport_first_1.png: not found
transport_first_2.png: not found
transport_last_1.png: not found
transport_last_2.png: not found
transport_previous_1.png: not found
transport_previous_2.png: not found
transport_next_1.png: not found
transport_next_2.png: not found
transport_stop_1.png: not found
transport_stop_2.png: not found
transport_play_1.png: not found
transport_play_2.png: not found
transport_pause.png: not found
transport_icon_first_1.png: not found
transport_icon_first_2.png: not found
transport_icon_last_1.png: not found
transport_icon_last_2.png: not found
transport_icon_previous_1.png: not found
transport_icon_previous_2.png: not found
transport_icon_next_1.png: not found
transport_icon_next_2.png: not found
transport_icon_stop_1.png: not found
transport_icon_stop_2.png: not found
transport_icon_play_1.png: not found
transport_icon_play_2.png: not found
transport_icon_pause.png: not found
transport_metronome.png: not found
transport_mode.png: not found
marker_list.png: not found
marker_add.png: not found
marker_remove.png: not found
marker_first.png: not found
marker_last.png: not found
marker_previous.png: not found
marker_next.png: not found
mixer.png: not found
dynamic_ppp.png: not found
dynamic_pp.png: not found
dynamic_p.png: not found
dynamic_mp.png: not found
dynamic_mf.png: not found
dynamic_f.png: not found
dynamic_ff.png: not found
dynamic_fff.png: not found
effect_dead.png: not found
effect_ghost.png: not found
effect_accentuated.png: not found
effect_heavy_accentuated.png: not found
effect_harmonic.png: not found
effect_grace.png: not found
effect_bend.png: not found
effect_tremolo_bar.png: not found
effect_slide.png: not found
effect_hammer.png: not found
effect_vibrato.png: not found
effect_trill.png: not found
effect_tremolo_picking.png: not found
effect_palm_mute.png: not found
effect_staccato.png: not found
effect_tapping.png: not found
effect_slapping.png: not found
effect_popping.png: not found
effect_fade_in.png: not found
browser_new.png: not found
browser_file.png: not found
browser_folder.png: not found
browser_root.png: not found
browser_back.png: not found
browser_refresh.png: not found
settings.png: not found
ArgumentParser getURL - URL = file:/C:/Users/User1%20/Documents/REAPE
R%20Media/untitled%20MIDI%20item%20copy%20007.mid
System Info:
-> TuxGuitar 1.2 Modified for Reaper Use, Release 1.0.0.0.1, Feburary 13, 2010
-> OS-Name: Windows Vista
-> OS-Arch: x86
-> OS-Version: 6.0
-> JVM-Name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
-> JVM-Version: 11.3-b02
-> JVM-Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
-> Java-Version: 1.6.0_13
-> Java-Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
-> Java-Home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
-> Java-Class-Path: C:\TuxGuitarMod2021310\dist\TuxGuitarNBuild.jar;C: \TuxGuit
arMod2021310\dist\lib;
-> Java-Library-Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;.;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C
:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32; C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32
\Wbem;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\
tuxguitar reaperuse logic: Entry
MidiSongImporter Constructor
MidiSongImporter getFileFormat
MidiSongImporter init
MidiSongImporter setDefaults
tuxguitar reaperuse logic: calling midiSongImporter
MidiSongImporter importSong
MidiSongImporter initFields
tuxguitar reaperuse logic: Exception thrown in importSong
org.herac.tuxguitar.io.base.TGFileFormatException: java.lang.Exception: Empty So
ng
at org.herac.tuxguitar.io.midi.MidiSongImporter.impor tSong(MidiSongImpor
ter.java:103)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar$2.run(TuxGuitar. java:323)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Empty Song
at org.herac.tuxguitar.io.midi.MidiSongImporter.check All(MidiSongImporte
r.java:434)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.io.midi.MidiSongImporter.impor tSong(MidiSongImpor
ter.java:89)
... 2 more
Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #33
Hartley Mays

Default Move skins folder to root

Swordfish,

I tried the install this morning on a different PC at home rather than my music pc that I had been using. I had the same behavior that Carbon noted above, and resolved it identically by moving the skins folder up to the high level install folder. Please try this and see if it resolves it. Also, from the exception you got, it appears that you exported an empty midi file from Reaper; it must have some notes in it.

Good luck,
Hartley
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #34
swordfish

Can you help me out by showing what the folder sstructure should look like

thanx
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #35
Hartley Mays

Default skins folder

Swordfish,

I think the structure that Carbon shows a couple of posts back in this thread will work. In your case, based on your console output, copy the skins folder to C:\TuxGuitarMod2021310.

Later,
Hartley
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #36
Paradiddle

Default Vista Nightmare

I also had the missing icons problem.

I thought it was the usual Vista nightmare.

Will try again, now that the weekend is here.

This was after searching high and low for the "stash".
https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Misc

I know, this is the developer's forum, isn't it.

Last edited by Paradiddle; 03-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Paradiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #37
Paradiddle

Default Déjà vu All Over Again

It might be a Vista thing, at least for me.

I got everything working by moving the Skins folder up to the Tuxmod folder level. All the buttons were then labeled.

I had already configed the midi editor info correctly, but after showing Tux in the Open Items with Editor list once, it disappeared. Did a random dance of Add, Edit, Remove in the External Editors window (including both primary and secondary editors). Tux then showed up the Open Items with Editor list again, worked fine, but has now disappeared again.

It sure looks like a Vista problem.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #38
Paradiddle

Default Greetings from Vista Hell

Greetings from Vista Hell.

Did the Regedit thing to enable run Tuxmod as administrator.

Works better now, with some issues, but no sound at all.

Running the off-the-shelf TuxGuitar works and sounds fine.

I may wait for the second coming of Jeebus instead of continuing with this.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #39
swordfish

Thanks guys, moved the share folder like ysuggested and it seems to work fine. This lookes like it could be really useful, keep up the good work.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #40
Hartley Mays

Default 3.5 shows initial native score editor!

Great News - the Pre-Release forum 3.5rc1 thread lists a preliminary score editor as one of the features in 3.5 Reaper.

Later,
Hartley