COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
jonmar
Human being with feelings

Default How do you play songs with NINJAM?

Hi guys...

I'm wondering how do people play anything other than some improvized jamming in a certain key with NINJAM? I'd like to be able to play proper songs with key changes etc with a friend of mine but it's pretty much impossible due to the 4 bar delay.

Did a simple test. I put on a drumbeat in REAPER then we were going to play 4 bars of A C and E... my friend would start it out by playing 4 beats of muted strings then we'd start the chords simultaneously. Well on my end it sounded fine, but on his end I was 4 bars late. So when he got to C, he started hearing me play A.

When you guys jam do you just do some 12 bar blues in a certain key or what?

Thanks for any help! It's appreciated.

Jon
jonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
pljones

Playing songs isn't really what it's about, admittedly.

The delay isn't fixed at four bars, though. The "16bpi" you see means "16 beats per interval" and you can change it fairly freely. 12bar is 48, obviously.

So, you first need to analyse the structure of what you're playing. Very little music actually has a form that repeats every four bars, so 16 bpi is pretty limiting.

Blues and jazz is often 12bar and you need that to get the chords working, so go for 48bpi. Rock can be 8bar or 16bar (32 or 64bpi) but at larger intervals, it's hard to feel in touch. If you want to get fancy, you can go for 5/8 (20bpi if your phrase is four bars), etc...

On the NINBOT servers, you use "!vote bpi NN" to change the bpi (and "!vote bpm NN" to change the beats per minute). IIRC the Ninjamer ones are the same.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
jonmar

so it's basically impossible to play let's say Welcome To The Jungle with both of us in sync at the same part of the song? So that when the solo comes up and I start playing the rhythm guitar under it, I'll hear his lead guitar at the proper time?

curse you, internet latency!
jonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
pljones

There are other systems, such as llcon, that attempt to ignore the internet latency and simply let you play in real time. If you're within several hundred miles and on a good network, it's just about usable. If you don't like over 50ms latency, beyond that is unpleasant. Even at 50-80ms it feels a little... drunk? At least with NINJAM, the time is tight .
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
DaMNeD

Nice one Llcon didn't knew it.
Gonna test it thx for the info Peter

Last edited by DaMNeD; 11-02-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Licon -> Llcon
DaMNeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
imispgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
There are other systems, such as llcon, that attempt to ignore the internet latency and simply let you play in real time. If you're within several hundred miles and on a good network, it's just about usable. If you don't like over 50ms latency, beyond that is unpleasant. Even at 50-80ms it feels a little... drunk? At least with NINJAM, the time is tight .

There are also eJamming and Online Jamming. Both Real Time
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Krillo

...and soundjack
Krillo is offline   Reply With Quote