Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
politcat
Human being with feelings

Default M-Audio Axiom and Reaper

(NOTE: i've changed my use of the Axiom with Reaper even more. see post #99 on page 3)

i've been meaning to post this for Axiom 25 users. maybe some will benefit from this thread. If any interest develops i'll go into more detail

contrary to what some others have said on this forum, the Axiom is very useful and adaptable, if you know how to program it with Reaper.

I recently changed the way i've been using my Axiom 25 with reaper. the main change for me is simply using more than one midi channel for controlling tracks and plugins.

I have 2 presets on the Axiom dedicated to Reaper:

preset 1 - knobs control track vol and pads control solo on/off. midi ch.1 is for control of tracks 1-8, ch.2 for control of tracks 9-16 etc.. I don't program pan because I don't like reaper's pan functionality (i use Flux STTool for true stereo panning, i.e., my preset 2)

preset 2 - knobs control fx parameters. Midi ch.1 controls the 1st 8 parameters, ch.2 controls parameters 9-16 etc.

I also use it for envelopes.

i'm just trying to avoid using the mouse

so, all I have to do is change preset and/or midi channel on the Axiom (both quick and easy) to access whatever I want to control inside reaper

setup depends entirely on user preference and work flow. I don't use Enigma for any of the programming. I find it's easier to do it directly from the Axiom

I really like the Axiom

Last edited by politcat; 09-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
drybij

great tips - i'll try them on my axiom 49!! thanks!
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
thouston

Thanks for the tips, I also have a Axiom 25. I finally figured out how to map the transport keys, and have started creating presets.
thouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
politcat

don't forget to map the transport buttons to work on every midi channel. Just change channels and add in Actions
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
thouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
don't forget to map the transport buttons to work on every midi channel. Just change channels and add in Actions
Wow, I didn't think of that either. I'm a guitarist, but knew what MIDI was, the A-25 is really my first MIDI based instrument.

I did manage to record a track for a friend's student video project 'Sly's Roof' http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8457433
thouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
Elevenchains

Quote:
i've been meaning to post this for Axiom 25 users. maybe some will benefit from this thread. If any interest develops i'll go into more detail

contrary to what some others have said on this forum, the Axiom is very useful and adaptable, if you know how to program it with Reaper.

I recently changed the way i've been using my Axiom 25 with reaper. the main change for me is simply using more than one midi channel for controlling tracks and plugins.

I have 2 presets on the Axiom dedicated to Reaper:

preset 1 - knobs control track vol and pads control solo on/off. midi ch.1 is for control of tracks 1-8, ch.2 for control of tracks 9-16 etc.. I don't program pan because I don't like reaper's pan functionality (i use Flux STTool for true stereo panning, i.e., my preset 2)

preset 2 - knobs control fx parameters. Midi ch.1 controls the 1st 8 parameters, ch.2 controls parameters 9-16 etc.

I also use it for envelopes.

i'm just trying to avoid using the mouse

so, all I have to do is change preset and/or midi channel on the Axiom (both quick and easy) to access whatever I want to control inside reaper

setup depends entirely on user preference and work flow. I don't use Enigma for any of the programming. I find it's easier to do it directly from the Axiom

I really like the Axiom
Could you please explain what you did to configure your presets that way. I'm sure that would be of great help for many newbies!
Elevenchains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
politcat

Reaper and Axiom
(NOTE: i've changed my use of the Axiom with Reaper. see post #99 on page 3 for more ideas)

Use 2 presets in Axiom. Preset 1 for controlling tracks and preset 2 for controlling FX parameters

In Reaper
--Options > Preferences > Midi Devices
--In the top part, MIDI Inputs, you should see your MIDI device
--Right click and select both Enable Input and Enable Input for control messages
--BOTH must be checked if you want to use your keyboard's sliders and knobs, as well as use it as a keyboard

Note: To keep the faders/parameters from jumping in reaper choose Relative 1 when assigning a knob to an action

Volume control of tracks (preset 1)
In Axiom:
--for each knob program Ctrl Assign to CC 147
--program Data 2 to CC 46-53 (knobs 1-8 respectively)
--program Chan Assign to 00
--store Axiom preset...DON'T FORGET THIS STEP!

In Reaper:
--open actions list and locate and click "Track: Set volume for track n (midi CC only)"
--click Add
--turn respective knob on Axiom
--for MIDI CC choose Relative 1
--click OK

Solo control of tracks (preset 1)
In Axiom:

--for each pad program Ctrl Assign to CC 147
--program Data 1 to Note 0-7 (pad 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset

In Reaper:
--open actions list and locate and click "Track: Toggle Solo for track n"
--click Add
--hit respective pad on Axiom
--click OK

For Pan control (preset 3) use CCs 102-109 and follow the same instructions for each knob

Note: in case it isn't obvious, if you have a track with a soft synth in record ready mode that's receiving midi input from all channels you'll trigger a pitch whenever you solo on/off a track. a very low pitch. To avoid this use channel 16 for the synth

to access more than 8 tracks change midi channels and repeat the "In Reaper" steps above for up to 99 tracks (reaper limit at the moment)

Controlling FX parameters (preset 2)
In Axiom:

--program Data 2 to CC 12-19 (knobs 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset

In Reaper:
--move or touch an FX parameter in the gui
--click Param > Learn (top of fx window)
--turn control knob on Axiom
--for CC mode choose Relative 1
--check Enable only when effect configuration is focused
--click OK

to use this configuration whenever you insert the fx plugin in a project go to Param > Default controller mappings > Save as default

as with tracks, to access more than 8 parameters change midi channels and repeat the steps above

Last edited by politcat; 09-19-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
plgrmsprgrs

politcat - I think I can actually follow that! Thanks very much.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
set.

Yep, that was of great help! Thanks!
If it's ok to ask related questions here:
First, I couldn't figure out how to map events like MediaKbdPlay - I set my keyboard up to send MMC messages, but I can't reassign any of them in the Actions panel. For example I want to change Transport: Play/pause from MediaKbdPlayPause to MediaKbdPlay because there is no PlayPause MMC message, only two seperate ones: PLAY (02) and PAUSE (09).
Unlike other Midi controllers, pressing the button doesn't cause it to show up in the Edit Shortcut panel, and neither copying nor typing works. It's not that important to me, but I wonder if anyone could give me a hint here.

Sorry for the not-so-perfect english and possible confusion!
set. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
vkvirra

I'm bit new with my Axiom 25 and have assigned trasport buttons so far. However I have problems correctly assigning pads to be able to play drums (I use EZDrummer electronic) with them. For channel which have EZDrummer VSTi I've set it to receive input from all Midi channels.

In Enigma I've assigned and send 'Axiom 25 defaults' to keyboard. In reaper looking at the midi editor pads play notes between C4-C5. In Enigma I have following values for e.g. Pad 2:

Name: Pad2
MIDI CC: 147
Parameter: Note On/Off
Channel: 10
On velocity: 127
Off velocity: 0
Note: 38

'Note' value is only which is different between each pad but changing 'Note' value don't have any effect what's played in reaper. Anyone successfully controlling EZDrummer with pads?
vkvirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
politcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvirra View Post
'Note' value don't have any effect what's played in reaper.
I don't understand this part. please explain in more detail.

But your setup on the axiom is correct.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
vkvirra

Quote:
I don't understand this part. please explain in more detail.

But your setup on the axiom is correct.
I did reset for Axiom and now I get correct notes out from Pads.
vkvirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
devez

I've done same type of setup with my axiom 49.

Preset 1 is for Reaper
Channel 1
- controls my drum track, bd,snare,etc volumes on faders and
pan control on knobs

Channel 2
- controls my bass vst, cutoff, reso, accent slide etc...

Channel 3
- controls organ vst

Channel 4
- for guitar recording

Channel 5
- controls saxophone vst

Channel 6,7,8
- reverb, delay, compressor controlling

Channel 9
- mixer tracks 1-8 volumes on faders and panning on knobs

I even did little paper under the faders where reads what is happening on each fader, should do same thing on knobs.

The options are endless.. would like to know other axiom setups, what do you control with your axiom 25/49/61?

argh, have to make my setup again.. axioms Null function works only if i change preset, not channel...

Been using Fl studio 3 years, found Reaper 2 weeks ago and never going back to Fl <3 Reaper

Last edited by devez; 04-23-2010 at 09:44 AM.
devez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #14
D.J.kutmasta curt

Default REAXIOM25

A TEMPLATE I MADE IS IN THE STASH CHECK IT OUT, SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU. 322......
D.J.kutmasta curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
DeyBwah

Hi Politcat,

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by ctrl assign to cc 147? I can't find that in my Axiom Pro... any help is greatly appreciated! I went into edit>control.. and I get lost in there.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
politcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Hi Politcat,

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by ctrl assign to cc 147? I can't find that in my Axiom Pro... any help is greatly appreciated! I went into edit>control.. and I get lost in there.
I don't have the pro version so it could be different

hit the ADVANCED button then CTRL ASSIGN (note 'C' on the keyboard of my Axiom)
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
shaun5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by drybij View Post
great tips - i'll try them on my axiom 49!! thanks!
+2....I have an Axiom 49 too.....looks like I have some homework ;-)
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
DeyBwah

Does anyone have a resource or guide to using MIDI controllers in general? My understanding is very basic. For example, I set up my rotary knobs 1-8 to control the panning of tracks 1-8. But how would I control panning for tracks 9-16? I feel like there should be a way to change 'pages' so to speak... so the rotary knobs send a different CC message? But I don't know how to... <busts open the manual> :P
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
politcat

Quote:
For example, I set up my rotary knobs 1-8 to control the panning of tracks 1-8. But how would I control panning for tracks 9-16?
I change MIDI channels

ch. 1 controls 1-8
ch. 2 controls 9-16
ch. 3 controls 17-24
etc...
Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
Gidcumb73

I have an Axiom 49 Pro that I have been playing around with as well. I have started programming some of the functions, but have not even come close to the full potential. Like DeyBwah, and some of the other members, I am struggling with MIDI. If anybody wants to work on this together let me know. I would like to maximize the full potential of this keyboard controller.
Gidcumb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
DeyBwah

Quote:
I change MIDI channels

ch. 1 controls 1-8
ch. 2 controls 9-16
ch. 3 controls 17-24
etc...
Wouldn't changing channels affect my key assignments though?

Hmm maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

I think I'll need to have a preset for DAW/mixing and a separate preset for performance/playing VSTi's.

Maybe that's a no-brainer for others, but I was really looking forward to having both on 1 preset. I guess having to switch between isn't THAT big of a hassle. Or at least, I should start that way, and maybe down the road as I get more comfortable, I could start to really organize how I'm routing my MIDI signals.

It seems like a lot of people are having trouble with MIDI in general. I just started reading this book, Basic MIDI (http://www.amazon.com/Basic-MIDI-Mus...2077652&sr=8-1) by Paul White. It's GREAT. Tiny little book that explains MIDI to musicians. There's just enough technical information in it to explain the practical information.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
DeyBwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidcumb73 View Post
I have an Axiom 49 Pro that I have been playing around with as well. I have started programming some of the functions, but have not even come close to the full potential. Like DeyBwah, and some of the other members, I am struggling with MIDI. If anybody wants to work on this together let me know. I would like to maximize the full potential of this keyboard controller.
Hey Gidcumb,

I would start by mapping the transport controls to REAPER.

Go into actions(shift+?) and look for play, stop, start of session, end of session, record, repeat on/off. I have those mapped to play, stop, rewind, fast-forward, record, repeat buttons on my Axiom Pro.

The reason I have fast-forward and rewind set to start/end session is I've never needed to use rewind or fast-forward. I just click my play back cursor where I want it for those functions. However, having a way to get to the beginning or end of your session is nice to have on the Axiom Pro.

Start with the transport.

After that, you might want to program the number pad on the far left. I followed the Axiom Pro video on programming and copied a lot of what HyperControl maps to ProTools. Example, 1 = save project, 2 = metronome toggle, 3 = mix window toggle, etc...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...10b4d09ee0ec4b

Go to the last programming video, #4 ASCII key commands.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to get my rotary encoders and slider controls to map to tracks. I can get the first 8 simple enough, but I'm trying to figure out a way to change 'pages' on the Axiom pro so that the encoders and sliders send signals through a different CC. I was able to accomplish this some what with the rotary encoders because the encoders along with the trigger pads by default come with 4 pages. You can switch between the pages using the soft buttons under the LCD. But for some reason, they didn't do the same system for the sliders... to my knowledge that 4 page system is not implemented on the sliders. Why?!

So I may just have to skip the rotary on the 4 pages and just leave it on 1 page, using the other 3 pages to control other things like VSTs.. and then set it up so switching channels is like switching pages.

I'm going to post this on the M-audio forums. It feels like the documentation is REALLY lacking. The manual does explain quite a bit, but a lot of it expects technical understanding of the MIDI world to get the most out of it, which is lame. I wish they would have broken down MIDI as an introduction to the manual, after all, if people don't know it, then how are they going to use the product? I know personally, I've avoided using the MIDI for almost a year because it was just too daunting.

I'll try to post my findings and hopefully we can remedy the lack of information on programming the Axiom Pro when you're not on a DAW that supports HyperControl.

A quick question,

I noticed that when I set my mode to Transport in the edit window(option 7 I think), it doesn't allow me to program the F keys. If anyone is in front of their Axiom, can you confirm this? But if you put it in HyperControl mode, you can program the F keys. This is confusing, I thought if you're not using a DAW that supports HyperControl, you're supposed to switch it to Transport only, but that is limiting my ability to program buttons. Can someone confirm this behavior and/or add their 2 cents on why it might be that way?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
Hitch

Quote:
Hey Gidcumb,

I would start by mapping the transport controls to REAPER.

Go into actions(shift+?) and look for play, stop, start of session, end of session, record, repeat on/off. I have those mapped to play, stop, rewind, fast-forward, record, repeat buttons on my Axiom Pro.

Start with the transport.
I've done this with my Oxygen 61 but got no further.

Quote:
I'm going to post this on the M-audio forums. It feels like the documentation is REALLY lacking. The manual does explain quite a bit, but a lot of it expects technical understanding of the MIDI world to get the most out of it, which is lame. I wish they would have broken down MIDI as an introduction to the manual, after all, if people don't know it, then how are they going to use the product? I know personally, I've avoided using the MIDI for almost a year because it was just too daunting.
The documentation, as per usual, is terrible. It doesn't help that M-Audio haven't yet produced automatic mapping for Reaper. Your idea of Reaper users getting together to produce an M-Audio "how-to-map" procedure is a good one; it seems that there are quite a few Reaper users who need help.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
DBMusic

You guys have the patience and persistence of saints. My Axiom 61 ends up getting only occasional use as a keyboard.

Regards,

DB
Old 08-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
DarkStar

... what do you use it for the rest of the time?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
DeyBwah

I started a thread that is getting some attention from an admin. He cleared up all confusion regarding programming channels and what have you. I highly recommend those who have questions to head over and implore the good admin.

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread...5210#post95210
Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #27
DBMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
... what do you use it for the rest of the time?
An elbow rest

Regards,

DB
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #28
Gidcumb73

Quote:
A quick question,

I noticed that when I set my mode to Transport in the edit window(option 7 I think), it doesn't allow me to program the F keys. If anyone is in front of their Axiom, can you confirm this? But if you put it in HyperControl mode, you can program the F keys. This is confusing, I thought if you're not using a DAW that supports HyperControl, you're supposed to switch it to Transport only, but that is limiting my ability to program buttons. Can someone confirm this behavior and/or add their 2 cents on why it might be that way?
DeyBwah:

I thought the exact same thing, and in fact I think the User Guide states something very similar, but I had the same results. Things I programmed would not work. When I switched back to HyperControl everything works fine. I read the explanation on the M-Audio site and it didn't make since.

I have already set-up the transport keys and the numeric pad as you suggested. My transport keys are programmed slightly different than your suggestion. I too used the default set-up for Pro Tools as a guide for the numeric pad, but modified a few slightly. I will provide more details tonight once I get in front of the computer. I was unable to figure out a way to program the encoders and sliders to control more than the first 8 tracks.

I did set a up a Reaper patch setting using Patch #21. This is where I programmed my transport and numeric key functions. I envision creating additional patches labled for specific VSTs I wish to control. I did not overwrite any of the preprogrammed patches at this time. I have read most of the forum threads related to the Axiom to get as far as I have. An earlier posts in this thread confused me. It discussed programming cc values and mentioned a 147 value. I thought cc values were 0 - 127. I wasn't sure if this was a typo or what.

I want to maximize the use of this controller and would like to share ideas of the best way to map the key functions. I am new to recording in general and am trying to get up to speed using Reaper as time allows. Between work commitments and two little girls under the age of 5, my time can be limted sometimes. I look forward to discussing this further with you and other forum members. If M-Audio won't provide the support I guess we will have to step up and do it.

Last edited by Gidcumb73; 08-19-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typos and updated information
Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #29
Hitch

Quote:
I look forward to discussing this further with you and other forum members. If M-Audio won't provide the support I guess we will have to step up and do it.
This could be fun. My M-Audio Oxygen 61 is my first keyboard - the poor thing is gathering dust.

An old post of mine:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...06&postcount=6

Last edited by Hitch; 08-19-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
DeyBwah

Quote:
DeyBwah:

I thought the exact same thing, and in fact I think the User Guide states something very similar, but I had the same results. Things I programmed would not work. When I switched back to HyperControl everything works fine. I read the explanation on the M-Audio site and it didn't make since.
This is what the admin said regarding that.

"Just leave HyperControl mode set to normal. Transport only mode is intended to be used when the Axiom IS configured with HyperControl in a supported DAW."

Clears things up nicely.

Quote:
I was unable to figure out a way to program the encoders and sliders to control more than the first 8 tracks.
You have to use the MIDI channels to program the sliders and encoders to control more than 8 tracks volume/pan.

Here's what I posted on the M-Audio forums and the admin's response. This should get you on your way.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Question 1:

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to get my rotary encoders and slider controls to map to tracks pan/voume. I can get the first 8 simple enough, but I'm trying to figure out a way to change 'pages' on the Axiom pro so that the encoders and sliders send signals through a different CC. I was able to accomplish this somewhat with the rotary encoders because the encoders along with the trigger pads by default come with 4 pages. You can switch between the pages using the soft buttons under the LCD. But for some reason, they didn't do the same system for the sliders... to my knowledge that 4 page system is not implemented on the sliders. Why?!

Question 2:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how MIDI works in general... well, I have a good general understanding, but here's what I don't understand. If I go into edit>Global, I can choose what channel my Axiom Pro is sending its signal on. Say I switch this to channel 1. Now say I go to edit>zones, I can choose the channel in there as well. So what happens if I have my zones set up so zone 1 sends to channel 1, zone 2 to channel 2, etc, etc... but my global channel is set to 1?

Does the global channel setting override my zone channel settings? Example, zone 1, 2, 3, 4 all send to channel 1 regardless of what I have them set on, because the global channel select is channel 1? Or will those zones send to the channels I selected, overriding the global setting?

If someone could explain the above scenario and any other information that may help me understand how MIDI/Axiom Pro organizes the data sent to my DAW?

Question 3:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Admin's reponse:

1. I don't specifically "why" there aren't pages of controls for the sliders like there are for the knobs. However, doesn't Reaper make control assignments based on MIDI CC and MIDI Channel? If you set the knobs/sliders/buttons to follow the global MIDI channel, you could then assign 2 of the F buttons to change the Axiom Pro's global MIDI channel, in effect, giving you the ability to bank through different groups of tracks (assuming you learned them in order; eg 1-8 on ch 1, 9-16 on ch 2, etc).

2. The Global Channel "can" control the MIDI channel of the keyboard globally, however, you must designate a control to follow the global channel for it to have any effect. So the global channel only affects controls that are assigned to the global channel. The Zone channel generally refers to the MIDI channel the keys in a particular zone transmit on (allowing you to setup splits and layers). You could setup a particular zone to follow the global channel, and you can also setup individual controls to follow the zone channel.

3. The HyperControl mode doesn't matter when not using HyperControl. I was still able to reprogram the function keys. Press Edit, 2, then use knob E2 to select the function key group, then use knob E3 to select which F button to edit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It discussed programming cc values and mentioned a 147 value. I thought cc values were 0 - 127. I wasn't sure if this was a typo or what.
You might want to poke in that thread and ask the admin, I would guess it's a type... unless CC numbers are not limited to 0-127 for some reason.

Quote:
I want to maximize the use of this controller and would like to share ideas of the best way to map the key functions. I am new to recording in general and am trying to get up to speed using Reaper as time allows. Between work commitments and two little girls under the age of 5, my time can be limted sometimes. I look forward to discussing this further with you and other forum members. If M-Audio won't provide the support I guess we will have to step up and do it.
I'll do my best to post what I know. I think I'm close to understanding how to use Axiom Pro and how MIDI works with it. I might try to compile a concise guide for REAPER users. But like you, I have 2 boys, 2 and 8 years old... between work and kids, it's rough man. But not impossible!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
DeyBwah

So far, things are running relatively great on my Axiom Pro. But I still am hoping for HyperControl support for REAPER as switching MIDI channels to access different track vol/pan controls is not the most ideal way. For example, say I'm editing drums and they're spread across 4 tracks. The track numbers are from 7-10. Well, that means I can't have my fingers on all the vol/pan controls for the drums simultaneously. I would only be able to control 7 and 8, then I would have to change my MIDI channel to 2, to access controls for tracks 9 and 10.

With HyperControl, Axiom knows which tracks are "selected" in the DAW. So the controls will map accordingly. For example, I would be able to select all the drum tracks and the sliders would control those accordingly.

Not to mention, all my plug-in parameters would be assigned automatically. There are a slew of other benefits to HyperControl including the ability to use a 'modifier' button to use in combination with other buttons, namely the S keys under the sliders, to trigger different actions. For example, you could control both mute and solo actions with the same S key using the 'modifier' key in parallel.

I wonder though if they are even developing HyperControl anymore. I've never really dealt with M-Audio enough to know what kind of development standards and practices they have. And frankly, I think we've all been spoiled by Cockos.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #32
Gidcumb73

Quote:
Reaper and Axiom

In Axiom:

Solo control of tracks (preset 1)
In Axiom:

--for each pad program Ctrl Assign to CC 147
--program Data 1 to Note 0-7 (pad 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset

Controlling FX parameters (preset 2)
In Axiom:

--program Data 2 to CC 12-19 (knobs 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset
It was actually in this thread. There was several posts by Politcat, which I am thankful for because it did help me get started with programming the Axiom. One of his posts listed several step by step instructions, some of which reference a cc value of 147. See the quotes above. I was/am still confused by these items, hence why I still don't have the encoders/sliders programmed like I would like.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #33
politcat

you can assign 152 CCs

Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #34
Gidcumb73

Thanks Politcat,

It is funny that no matter how many times you read through something (i.e. the Axiom manual) there is always something you miss. So, the encoders have CC ranges that run from 0 through 152. The normal MIDI CC values that are used by all MIDI programs are 0 through 127. The additional CC values (i.e. 128 through 152) are only available on the Axiom encoder knobs and can be used to program additional functionality as needed. Where does this value show up? When I spin an encoder and watch the Axiom display screen it only shows values from 0 through 127. Does this additional CC range only show when in Reaper in the Action List while assigning an encoder to an action?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #35
Hitch

DeyBwah, I remember you turning up in the forums and getting very happy as you discovered what Reaper can do. It's good to know you're still enjoying the software.

I may start my own "getting M-Audio Oxygen 61 to talk to Reaper" thread. Good luck with your Axioms!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #36
politcat

Quote:
The additional CC values (i.e. 128 through 152) are only available on the Axiom encoder knobs...
on the pads and sliders too

Quote:
Where does this value show up? When I spin an encoder and watch the Axiom display screen it only shows values from 0 through 127.
you are seeing the values being sent real-time, for instance, when going from loud to soft or panning (127 = loudest or all the way right)

read page 34 in your user guide about encoders "relative" and "absolute" modes

page 53 shows what CC is assigned to each encoder, but you can change each one to whatever CC you want for use in reaper.

Page 14 in your user guide:

I don't own the Pro 49. programming is a little different than my Axiom 25, but midi stuff is the same

Last edited by politcat; 08-24-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #37
Hamberger4

Quote:
Reaper and Axiom

In Axiom:

In Reaper:
--open actions list and locate and click "Track: Set volume for track n (midi CC only)"
--click Add
--turn respective knob on Axiom
--for MIDI CC choose Relative 1
--click OK

Just tried to program one of the A25 encoders for volume as described.
When I turn the encoder clockwise the volume increases (as expected)
However when I turn the encoder anti-clockwise the volume continues to rise
I’m obviously missing something.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #38
politcat

Hamberger4

make sure you select relative 1 for MIDI CC
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #39
Hamberger4

Thanks for that.
I did set that up in Reaper origionaly.
I have now gone through the proceedure again and all is well.
Thanks again
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #40
Hamberger4

Spoke too soon.
After successfully programming 4 encoders and storing the settings to P01 I decided to RECALL P02 then go back to P01 to check if the settings had been saved .
To my horror I discovered that the settings had not been saved.
I’ve now tried several times to store the setting without success.
Is there a command which prevents you from overwriting the memory locations?
Once again
Many thanks in advance.

O.K
Got it sussed.
In order to STORE P01 first ensure that P01 is not initialy selected for example RECALL P02 then STORE P01.
I suspect this is a bug with the firmware (or maybe I have'nt read the manual correctly).
Like an earlier post my a25 has been gathering dust for the last 18 months.

Last edited by Hamberger4; 08-30-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Hamberger4 is offline   Reply With Quote