Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default Strange random-ish behaviour when clicking on plugins in MCP...

OK this has been bugging me for ages but I couldn't be bothered to look into it. Now I can take no more!

I'm having weirdnesses when I click on plugins on the MCP. Sometimes I click on one to open it, and instead of opening, it just swaps places with the one above it, as if I had dragged it, which I didn't. Then without moving the mouse at all, I can click and the plugin now under the cursor will open as normal, no problem. This happens about 1 in 20 times I guess?

Similar thing happens when I'm alt-shift-clicking a plugin to toggle it online/offline. about 1 in 20 times, instead of toggling, it will instead duplicate itself - as if I had alt-dragged it. Again, I can alt-click again immediately afterwards without moving the mouse and the plugin under the mouse will toggle as normal.

Any clues on this anyone??
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
xpander

Sounds like my old mouse when it was going south. Started innocently enough but after a while it was apparent that it was misbehaving, random clicks and moves all over the place where I didn't do any.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Mudchild

Just reviving this one as I never got it resolved. It's not my mouse, as it happens when I use a different mouse too!

tried swapping keyboards too...

any ideas folks?

to clarify, I don't get any other weird or glitchy mouse behaviour in any other situation or with any other program - all is normal...
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Medway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchild View Post
Just reviving this one as I never got it resolved. It's not my mouse, as it happens when I use a different mouse too!

tried swapping keyboards too...

any ideas folks?

to clarify, I don't get any other weird or glitchy mouse behaviour in any other situation or with any other program - all is normal...
Not sure if this got resolved but seeing it as well. If I click very quickly I can bypass the issue though.

At the same time as this bug coming up I am also unable to rename tracks by double clicking as usual, instead it just lets me drag and re-order them.
Medway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
Mudchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway View Post
Not sure if this got resolved but seeing it as well. If I click very quickly I can bypass the issue though.

At the same time as this bug coming up I am also unable to rename tracks by double clicking as usual, instead it just lets me drag and re-order them.
Well if it's the same thing, you're the only other person I've encountered with the same problem.

But I don't get any problem renaming tracks though...
Old 11-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
serr

I'll just throw this out there.

Reaper doesn't let you "type ahead". If Reaper is 'busy' it makes the GUI last priority. That means it can miss keyboard/mouse input during these 'busy' moments. You can achieve this behavior by typing/mousing commands too fast (like you might do being used to the normal OS controlled keyboard type ahead buffer).

For example, you intend to command-click on something - but you're moving too fast and Reaper misses the command key and just gives you left-click.

Aside:
Protools HD used to have great "type ahead" ability before v9. V9 is just like Reaper for this issue. You can't type ahead anymore.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
Mudchild

Interesting, but this does not really describe the behaviour in the OP...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Interesting, but this does not really describe the behaviour in the OP...
I bet it does though.

Quote:
Sometimes I click on one to open it, and instead of opening, it just swaps places with the one above it, as if I had dragged it, which I didn't.
You click down.
You release the mouse but Reaper misses this.
You move the mouse ever so slightly (not an intentional move but your hand simply not being perfectly static). Reaper see's this as a drag (since it thinks the clicker is still down.)

Quote:
when I'm alt-shift-clicking a plugin to toggle it online/offline. about 1 in 20 times, instead of toggling, it will instead duplicate itself - as if I had alt-dragged it.
Did you change shift-command-click to alt-shift-click for that? (Or did I change mine a while back?) Anyway...

Looks like Reaper missed the 'shift' key and the mouse release that time.

I see this behavior about 1 in 20 times in my travels as well. It's absolutely Reaper not having a keyboard/mouse input buffer.

My personal favorite:
Do command-'something'. Then do a vertical scroll.
Except...
Reaper missed the release of the command key (thinks it's still pushed down). And the mouse happens to be hovering over the track control section on the left (in the TCP). And there I go command-scrolling the track height for all the tracks again!

Reaper's way of telling me to ease back on the coffee perhaps? (It won't work.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
effitall

For the record, I experience this same issue as well.

Reaper is the only app I experience this weird mouse behavior.

I have two mice attached to my system...One is in my IBM trackpoint keyboard, the other a Microsoft wireless mouse 6000.
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Mudchild

Serr... Well maybe you're right then! But how come it's only apparently happening to a tiny minority? And what can we do about it?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Medway

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I'll just throw this out there.

Reaper doesn't let you "type ahead". If Reaper is 'busy' it makes the GUI last priority. That means it can miss keyboard/mouse input during these 'busy' moments. You can achieve this behavior by typing/mousing commands too fast (like you might do being used to the normal OS controlled keyboard type ahead buffer).

For example, you intend to command-click on something - but you're moving too fast and Reaper misses the command key and just gives you left-click.

Aside:
Protools HD used to have great "type ahead" ability before v9. V9 is just like Reaper for this issue. You can't type ahead anymore.
Interesting. It looks like it's forcing a drag in both of my situations so perhaps it's missing the mouse 'off' event but if I click very quickly it always seems to work so odd it would catch it that way.
Medway is offline   Reply With Quote