Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
WinstonN
Human being with feelings

Default Setup with Zed R16

I'm a new Reaper user and I am VERY excited to have found this software; the concept/philosophy is brillient.

My experience level with DAWs is pretty low - I have a net 6 months experience with Protools LE + 003 and after reading about Reaper, I want to switch before I commit more time to PT.

I have a brand spanking new A&H Zed R16 and I'm a few frustrating hours into getting it setup with Reaper (thanks to operator inexperience!!). So, I'm on 2 learning curves at the same time. I've yet to record a track on Reaper.

My first setup question is (there probably will be more):

The Zed R16 is connected to laptop via firewire (the optional 2in/2out ADAT ports on the ZED are unused). In Reaper Options > Preferences I am set to Audio system = ASIO; ASIO Driver = ASIO ZED R"; Enabled inputs options options for first and last are "ZED R16 ADAT 1" through "ZED R16 ADAT 16". Same for output range.

When I use PT, my input options include BOTH Analog (which I use) and ADAT (which I don't).

Should I be seeing Analog options in the input section (not just ADAT). Conversely, if I'm connected via Firewire, can I still use the ADAT in and out options in Reaper?

Thanks for the help!
WinstonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
WinstonN

I'm beginning to think this is a driver issue, but now that I've reloaded the driver...again, still no luck.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

Welcome to the forum, WinstonN.

Wow, I just googled Zed R16, that's surely a cool piece of gear . Sad to hear you get those problems. You definitely should see all I/O options.

I don't think many users here have access to that board. If there is no newer driver available, I'd post it in the bug reports forum here at Cockos and also file it to A&H support, so the devs can contact. Maybe there is a forum over at A&H as well where you have a better chance to get the problem confirmed?

Hope you get it sorted out soon, it would be such a pity.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Could it be something simple like this?

(From the R16 manual)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
WinstonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
Could it be something simple like this?

(From the R16 manual)
YES!!! I'm recording now.

How in the world did I miss the configuration switch info??? Embarrassing.

Thanks very much...best present this morning.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

Yay, Steindork to the rescue
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
byrdsworth

Default Update on zed r16

Hi Winston

I am thinking of getting an r16 too ..

I was just wondering how it is going with Reaper

an update on your progress so far would be much appreciated

Cheers
Byrds
byrdsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
JoeMicallef

Running a brand new R16 on 10.6 with excellent results so far. Only done a few tracks simultaneously, low latency, took some finesse to get the faders in reaper to track with the fader gain on the board.
JoeMicallef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
toyhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMicallef View Post
Running a brand new R16 on 10.6 with excellent results so far. Only done a few tracks simultaneously, low latency, took some finesse to get the faders in reaper to track with the fader gain on the board.
It's a coincidence but I was just going to post a new thread asking for opinions about the r16 but did a search first and saw this.

Any thoughts in general regarding the above. Not just reaper integration but overall.
Sorry if this drifts off-topic a bit. Just didn't want to launch a repeat thread.

Since we're moving, I'll be redoing my setup no doubt.
The r16 looks like good bang for the buck plus it simplifies things I'm thinking.
Any opinions here so far on r16 vs another interface, (8 channels I guess),.
Much appreciated.
I was thinking of holding out for the r24 but not sure I'd really need it.
EDIT; they won't be offering a meter bridge for the 16. Said it's too complicated? There may be one for the 24 however.

Jim P.

Last edited by toyhouse; 02-18-2010 at 09:34 AM.
toyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
JoeMicallef

I'll continue to post my benchmarks here. I have a Mac Pro, a MacBook Pro, and an iMac running 10.5; all intel and just a couple years old, as well the new Mac Pro running 10.6 and a PC running XP(vista free zone). In the next few weeks I'll be trying to crash it in as many configurations as I can think of. Especially interested in which machines will stand up to 16 channels in and out with plugins running in real time while recording.

So far the only kink I've noticed is if reaper is running offline for too long it loses the midi over firewire connection and reaper needs to be restarted. Also would be nice if you could re-map the MMC to the action list as the default transport functions could use a little tweaking.
JoeMicallef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
grok

Default ZedR16

Hi all, this is my first post. I've been dabbling with DAWs for the last year or so and had a 3 way shoot out between Reaper, Cubase LE and Sonar LE. Reaper won on account of its fuller feature set and the fact that I had several problems installing the other DAWs and getting them to run correctly.

The original post about using a ZedR16 is very interesting. I've also been thinking of getting one as I really miss the hands on approach to mixing, find it difficult to drag down several faders using a mouse, and coming from an analogue/live mixing background, such features as parametric EQ are second nature. I've used an A&H 16ch Mix Wizard r a couple of years now and love it.

Am I right in thinking that I would also need to get a Firewire card for my laptop in order to plug the Zed in? How prevalent are these? I have one of the newer PCI slots.

Just to confirm, when the Zed is running with Reaper and you're mixing, when you move a physical fader, the virtual fader in Reaper also moves, right? Likewise, tweaking physical EQ will change the channel sound in Reaper?
grok is offline   Reply With Quote