Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
Nip
Human being with feelings

Default Can you get Waves VST2 in a project changed to VST3 version in a flash?

I have both VST2 and VST3 scanned.

If I removed VST2 waveshell and scanned just VST3 - would Reaper find the same plugins then as VST3?

Or other ways with SWS extensions to make such an operation?

I have a couple of old Reaper projects I would like to continue working on, and felt I wanted to switch all to VST3.

Sonar has such an automatic procedure when opening projects to insert VST3 versions. Just a checkbox in preferences.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
DarkStar

I don't think that there is an 'in a flash' way of converting VST2 to VST3 for any plug-ins let alone Waves.

At your own risk, you could try this:
(a) scan only the Waves VST3 plug-ins,
(b) copy your project file and change the references to the Waves VST2 plug-ins to the VST3 equivalents, save the changes,
(c) open that copied project file.

This assumes that the VST2/VST3 data chunks are the same, or at least compatible.

Q: What will the VST3 editions in Reaper give you?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Nip

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I don't think that there is an 'in a flash' way of converting VST2 to VST3 for any plug-ins let alone Waves.

At your own risk, you could try this:
(a) scan only the Waves VST3 plug-ins,
(b) copy your project file and change the references to the Waves VST2 plug-ins to the VST3 equivalents, save the changes,
(c) open that copied project file.

This assumes that the VST2/VST3 data chunks are the same, or at least compatible.

I assume that data is compatible since Sonar is capable to load VST3 into project using what is stored as VST2 settings(or they convert something, don't know).

I think I will try your suggestions - and see how it goes.

Quote:
Q: What will the VST3 editions in Reaper give you?
Waves strongly suggest you don't mix VST2 and VST3 of their stuff - so figure easier to keep track. Thinking when done, I would remove VST2 shell.

When Sonar X3 came, their were some reports about gui problems when mixing VST2/3.

I think StudioOne also had some automatic match to VST3 stuff if it exist.

Cubase simply don't list Waves VST2 versions even if scanned.

Some sidechain stuff may be there. And I might get plugins later that use VST3 features heavily, like multiple input ports on VSTs. I think synths are allowed audio inputs as well.

VST3 stuff are category listed as well, even if Reaper does not use it as I recall.