Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
timlloyd
Human being with feelings

Default New DDP Export

Quote:
v4.0alpha66 - April 20 2011

+ DDP export plug-in (thanks to Sergej Marsnjak!)
///

I'm merging previous comments into this thread for clarity.

Let's discuss the new DDP plug-in and potential consequent features

///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergenious View Post
Well this Sergej is me
Unfortunately there seams to be no free DDP import tool. However, I used 30-day trial version of Sonoris DDP Creator to test the files.
Quote:
Yes, DDP2.0.
Currently there is no import, maybe it will be somewhere in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
The DDP export is a brilliant new feature. However, it's unnecessarily complex for the user imo.

Is it possible to have a "DDP edit/setup" window that allows the user to actually set up the DDP markers etc... that works like the Sonoris DDP creator?

I don't know how complex it would be to create it, but if DDP output is already available, it doesn't seem to me that it would be very difficult to package up the guts of it into a better interface than creating lots of markers with specific names that are easy to screw up ...

A list-view like the Sonoris, that when edited would shift the audio on a given track around and create the necessary markers for us would be very very useful
Quote:
It is a little harder to make edit screen without interference with the default marker usage. For some, creating markers is easier and more intuitive, as this is in the time domain, others prefer the list.
However, a feature could be at least to display the (readonly) list of tracks with INDEX positions and meta data. But if the list is editable, it can make the conflict with the markers, if the markers are moved after the track list is edited.

Yes, to fully use the markers, it can be a little complex. But if you don't need INDEX0, ISRC, EAN, you can just use # markers, as for CUE/BIN export. Other metadata is optional.
Quote:
Would it really be difficult to have an editable list that was itself updated by the manual moving of markers? They would both update each other - maybe I'm not understanding the issue with this?

Also very useful (arguably essential) would be RedBook compliance checking of the DDP set that would result from the current marker set.

... and burning straight to CD from the DDP render window as well ...

I'm asking a lot, I know, but such a feature begs for additional functionality in order to be reliable and useful for the majority of users.

Maybe a dedicated DDP discussion thread is a good idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
What about sws including it in their marker window (that's unless the new region window in reaper gets some love)
Quote:
Redbook compliance is ensured by automatically correcting the tracks to conform the specification.
To make the both-way editable list <--> markers, it would need a little more integration into the REAPER, and more programming time
Quote:
Would both of those things be possible?
Quote:
Possible, yes, but now only theoretically.
It is not recommended, that some export plugin is changing the markers. The export plugin should only change the output file, but leave the session intact.

What I see as an option, is editable list, which is always filled automatically by reading the markers. But, if this list is edited manually, then the markers will not affect the list anymore, unless some "reset list" button is pressed.

But, there is not enough time to make this feature soon . Maybe in the near future....

P.S.: you can open a dedicated thread.
Quote:
This begins to sounds like it doesn't belong as a plug-in, but rather as an actual part of the REAPER application :-/

That's what I was going to suggest initially.

Is your plug-in going to be distributed with R4 by default? It seems so, in which case I really don't understand why it's not just completely integrated.

///

Re. the automatic RedBook enforcement - what if someone wanted to generate a DDP set that would duplicate and work correctly, while actually violating RedBook, such as having a hidden pre-index 1 track? It seems like the type of thing that might be better as an separate optional "check compatibility" and subsequent "force conform" functions if that makes sense.
Quote:
No no, this is not violating the Redbook. The hidden track is completely standard. You just create INDEX0 marker at the 0:00, and INDEX1 (track start) anywhere after 2 seconds. The audio between 0:00 and the first INDEX1 is the hidden track.
///

Disregard my bit about auto RedBook enforcing, as it seems to be a great idea

///

comments?

Last edited by timlloyd; 04-21-2011 at 06:15 AM.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
timlloyd

continued ...

Quote:
This begins to sounds like it doesn't belong as a plug-in, but rather as an actual part of the REAPER application :-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is just semantic. REAPER is structured so that a lot of core functionality is technically a "plug-in" (dynamically loaded library). This causes no performance or functionality limitation. Most complex applications are structured the same way, in fact some applications have practically all of their core functionality in plug-ins.

If the DDP export code wanted to change the project markers, it could. I don't want to speak for Sergei, but I believe his point is just that the act of exporting should not alter the project.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
timlloyd

That makes perfect sense Schwa.

How about:

A new DDP set-up window accessible via an Action that isn't directly linked to the Render window and as such has nothing to do with exporting.

This would simply act as a way of formatting DDP-specific markers, indices, metadata, CD-text, start/pause time, offsets etc ... without needing to resort to the current syntax, which is a bit more complex than it needs to be for most users (imho).

There could be a "Render/Export" button in this window that simply opened the existing Render window with DDP chosen as the output format.

This way, the export plug-in isn't altering the project file, but it's still much easier to format the markers correctly.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Sergenious

Quote:
A new DDP set-up window accessible via an Action that isn't directly linked to the Render window and as such has nothing to do with exporting.
This would make a lot of work for Cockos team, to integrate such setup window in the REAPER.
When more time, I'll make the setup screen with editable list in the export window, as we have said in the earlier posts.

My music (metal)
Sergenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
timlloyd

Quote:
This would make a lot of work for Cockos team, to integrate such setup window in the REAPER.
This is true ...

Quote:
When more time, I'll make the setup screen with editable list in the export window, as we have said in the earlier posts.
You have been very helpful, thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
WyattRice

This is good news. I also noticed that in the bring-down box that when inserting media from the main menu, it has DDP.Dat

I assume this will be supported?

Thanks for your work on this Sergenious.

Wyatt
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
d. gauss

what is DDP?
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Sergenious

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
what is DDP?
http://www.dcainc.com/products/ddplicense/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_Description_Protocol

My music (metal)
Sergenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
d. gauss

thanks.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
Kawabatnam

Hi Sergenious, many thanks for this DDP export function, it is truly great!* However could you provide some more detailed "how to"? I have read the explanations in the render window but still couldn't figure how to use those wildcards and even how to add simple things as ISRC codes.

(* when you consider how much it costs to enjoy the DDP format in Sadie/Sequoia/WAvelab for instance...).

Also, do you know this: http://ddp.andreasruge.de/ ? It steps up the Cue/Bin format to DDP. It is outside of Reaper though.
Kawabatnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
alicerr1

Ce EST la première fois que je fais cela, et je ne suis pas shure, que je comprends tout ça.

---------------------
alicerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
rparmar

Default brilliant work

I'd like to thank everyone for their brilliant work on this DDP feature. I registered just to say that. Andreas, love your utilities!

This might be the final straw that pushes me into the Reaper camp, though it's hard to give up a decade or more of commitment to another product.
rparmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparmar View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for their brilliant work on this DDP feature. I registered just to say that. Andreas, love your utilities!

This might be the final straw that pushes me into the Reaper camp, though it's hard to give up a decade or more of commitment to another product.
Welcome aboard.

If I can do anything to help you regarding DDP, let us know.
Thanks,
Wyatt
Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
phonofranz

Default multiple INDEX sub codes

Hello,

is there any way to specify multiple INDEX subcodes for a single track within Reaper DDP export utility?

According to Help button in render dialog only INDEX0 and INDEX1 are supported:

"
- markers starting with "!" character represent INDEX0 position for the following "#" track
- markers starting with "#" character represent track metadata and INDEX1 position
"

If not: is there any way to add them with some other tool?
Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
WyattRice

Hello fellow DDP people.

I've been working on Sergej's marker list utility code that he kindly shared with me not to long ago, and I have a working windows version. It doesn't effect Reapers current DDP render plugin at all, it's just a gui and it makes the process of putting in song titles, cd text, album info, etc. a whole lot easier. Here's a demo of what it does.

Would any of you extension guys be willing to help me so I might be able to get a version to work for Mac?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wyatt
Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 AM   #16
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Hello fellow DDP people.

I've been working on Sergej's marker list utility code that he kindly shared with me not to long ago, and I have a working windows version. It doesn't effect Reapers current DDP render plugin at all, it's just a gui and it makes the process of putting in song titles, cd text, album info, etc. a whole lot easier. Here's a demo of what it does.

Would any of you extension guys be willing to help me so I might be able to get a version to work for Mac?

Thanks,
Wyatt
Hi Wyatt,
I'm going to use for the first time DDp exporting in Reaper in the next month, and I'm on a mac.
Your GUI is very interesting and it should make really simpler to write the cdtext instead of the marker's code, so if there something I can do to help you with the mac version I can be a beta tester
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #17
Kawabatnam

Quote:
Hello fellow DDP people.

Thanks,
Wyatt
Hi Wyatt,
First, thanks for all the interest and effort you show for the DDP mastering format. About this "ddp_marker_list" utility (windows version), is it already fully functional and/or shareable?
Thanks in anticipation.
Kawabatnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #18
akademie

Hi Wyatt,
any progress (with Windows version), please?
Thanks
akademie

Quote:
Hello fellow DDP people.

Thanks,
Wyatt
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote