Old 08-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
jpanderson80
Human being with feelings

Default Slate VBC users

If you use/used the Virtual Buss Compressors (VBC) plugin, I'd love to hear some feedback from the Reaper users. (I've read plenty of other forums about this product. And my intention is NOT to get into a discussion about buss compression in general.)

1. What are the genres that you use the VBC on? ...which compressor(s)?
2. Have you discovered any other [creative] uses for VBC?
3. How has VBC affected your workflow?

Thanks, trusty Reaperites.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
HOFX

1. Rock, punk rock, acoustic guitar / folk music.

2. Sometimes simply running audio through the plugin to get the sound of the transformers (Red / Grey) or the tubes (Mu) can alter a track in the direction you need with no compression / gain reduction.

3. Cannot overstate it.
- FG-Grey on the drum buss makes the drums punch and come alive.
- FG-Red on the Master Buss brings everything together and gives depth.
- FG-Mu on acoustic guitars really makes them come alive and present, gives a real professional and controlled sound to the tracks.

There are people on forums that are against iLok2. For me it's been seamless and transparent, very easy licence management.

Before VBC, my drums were uncontrolled and impotent, now they are focussed, and I can control their dominance in a mix simply by how hard I push them into the VBC compressors.

I think they're on sale now for $99, which is an absolute no brainer.

I have had limited success with them with bass guitar (eg FG-Grey for glue on bass-drum buss), vocals (FG-Mu for high sheen) and guitar buss (FG-Red on guitars for drive, parallel compression for thickening) in that I don't use VBC in those ways, but I don't really think they're designed for that.

It is true that there are other options on the market that people swear by (eg The Glue, Waves SSL Buss Comp), but for what it's worth, I've very quickly been able to get to the 'sound in my head' with VBC, and saves a lot of tweak time.

Let me know how you go, happy to help with further questions.
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
kindafishy

I'm also kind of interested in these based on what seems (to me) to be the popular opinion, which is that while they are nowhere near being in the same league as hardware, they are amongst the best software compressors available (and closest to hardware in a relative sense - but still not there).

That being said, the Nebula guys seem close to releasing compressors using the Acqua format, along with what they are saying is a significant advance in how they process compression, and that could be a complete game changer. If the promise holds true, they could release the first fully featured plugins that sound as good as hardware.

There is a good chance that I will be picking up a hardware 2 bus compressor within the next two years (likely either API or Daking), unless the Nebula promise comes to fruition.

We'll see...

In the meantime, yeah, I'd love to hear more opinions about the Slate compressors as well.
kindafishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
I have had limited success with them with bass guitar (eg FG-Grey for glue on bass-drum buss), vocals (FG-Mu for high sheen) and guitar buss (FG-Red on guitars for drive, parallel compression for thickening) in that I don't use VBC in those ways, but I don't really think they're designed for that.
Hofx,
Are you inserting VBC's on individual track inserts or on folders/busses? How does Reaper and your system handle the workload? Any issues there?

I appreciate your insights.

Fishy,
I've been watching the Nebula VST's as well. I'm certainly interested.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
richie43

Ha ha... I saw "VBC" and thought that this was a already about Nebula..... VBC-Vintage Blue Console

kindafishy is correct, there are some really astounding improvements for Nebula users on the horizon. I personally love using Nebula and it's "ugly" (basic) GUI, I have no driving need to see the technology used in Acqua plugins. Acqua stuff is indeed gorgeous, and has all of the juicy good sound that Nebula already has. SO I see that it is an important move for Acustica Audio, it will make this amazing technology more tempting for the more faint hearted that avoid Nebula...lol.
I have demoed thew Slate stuff (consoles, tapes, compressors), and I have to say that they are very good. But in my opinion (based on my ears only), the Slate stuff still does not touch Nebula. It is easier to use (work-flow) and is slightly nicer to the CPU. But I made the decision to put SOUND as my first priority at the expense of the things that algo addresses (CPU, work-flow, etc).
Besides, since I work closely with most of the Nebula devs as a tester (and often content writer/editor for the instructional manuals...English seems to be required these days no matter where you are based...), I know first-hand the kind of time and energy that goes into this technology, and all to be offered at a paltry sum when considering what you get from it.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Jae.Thomas

best compressor ever. that is all.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Subjective info, of course. I tend to disagree, but go figure, right?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Subjective info, of course. I tend to disagree, but go figure, right?
wow, that was a subjective opinion? I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out that being said, when things start slowing down in september, I will have to give nebula a third chance.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
richie43

Quote:
wow, that was a subjective opinion? I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out
No problem... I'm just here to help and offer completely unbiased opinions......
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
jpanderson80

Quote:
Jason,
Will you describe this opinion in more detail?

(We all know that Richie got excited because he thought we were talking about Nebula! LOL I didn't know that VBC was a Nebula abbreviation. That's funny. I'm still interested in hearing some Nebula compressors.)
Old 08-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Jason,
Will you describe this opinion in more detail?

(We all know that Richie got excited because he thought we were talking about Nebula! LOL I didn't know that VBC was a Nebula abbreviation. That's funny. I'm still interested in hearing some Nebula compressors.)
I haven't been able to hear one nebula compressor yet. lol.

so, VBC just makes things sound good. with little work. Even on extreme settings there are usable sounds, whereas with other plugins things get distorted and crappy pretty easily.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
richie43

Quote:
I haven't been able to hear one nebula compressor yet. lol.
You haven't heard the more recent (in the past 6 months to a year) Nebula compressors then. Also, CDSM released a very nice "algo" tube emulation based compressor recently (VTMC-M2). It's algo, but it's CDSM algo, like his VTM-M2 Tape emulation.....
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Jae.Thomas

im sorry, what is this thread about again?

which ones do you suggest I demo?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
HOFX

Quote:
Hofx,
Are you inserting VBC's on individual track inserts or on folders/busses? How does Reaper and your system handle the workload? Any issues there?

I appreciate your insights.
My computer is a Intel Q6600 (about 5-6 years old). Amp sims are the biggest CPU hogs, so when I have them printed, I have enough CPU to put VTM/VCC where I need them. VBC doesn't seem to be an issue and I run at most 6 instances in a session, along with 2-3 instances of Valhalla. If that gives you some idea.

VBC works fine on mono sources. People are pushing for Slate to release mono VBC versions, because running a stereo instance on a drum buss, if the floor tom panned to the right triggers the compressor, it also compresses the left channel, and people claim that this can influence the stereo image, so having two independent mono instances would alleviate that. However, I'm sure Reaper can be easily configured to achieve that already.

If you want, post a stereo drum stem and I'll run it through VBC on a few different settings and post it back to give you an idea.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
jpanderson80

Quote:
My computer is a Intel Q6600 (about 5-6 years old). Amp sims are the biggest CPU hogs, so when I have them printed, I have enough CPU to put VTM/VCC where I need them. VBC doesn't seem to be an issue and I run at most 6 instances in a session, along with 2-3 instances of Valhalla. If that gives you some idea.

VBC works fine on mono sources. People are pushing for Slate to release mono VBC versions, because running a stereo instance on a drum buss, if the floor tom panned to the right triggers the compressor, it also compresses the left channel, and people claim that this can influence the stereo image, so having two independent mono instances would alleviate that. However, I'm sure Reaper can be easily configured to achieve that already.

If you want, post a stereo drum stem and I'll run it through VBC on a few different settings and post it back to give you an idea.

Thanks for the kind offer, Hofx. I'm without studio internet for a short time, so I'll have to pass for now. Thank you for the details on the CPU useage.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #16
jpanderson80

Quote:
im sorry, what is this thread about again?

which ones do you suggest I demo?
Yes, I'm interested too, Richie. This VTMC-M2 that you mentioned... any others?

...I just noticed that the VTMC-M2 looks to be for PC only. I'm on a Mac.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
richie43

Quote:
Yes, I'm interested too, Richie. This VTMC-M2 that you mentioned... any others?

...I just noticed that the VTMC-M2 looks to be for PC only. I'm on a Mac.
I thought the VTMC-M2 had a Mac version... sorry. But look into any of the Cupwise and Tim Petherick compressor libraries, especially the more recent. Also, Alex B has released a modern Neve "suite", the Modern Flagship. Console, compressor, and console EQ...all very very good. I do need to say that I rarely need extremely fast and crushing compression, which is what nebula has always been less good at, so I have liked Nebula compression long before the newer updates anyway.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #18
jpanderson80

Quote:
2. Sometimes simply running audio through the plugin to get the sound of the transformers (Red / Grey) or the tubes (Mu) can alter a track in the direction you need with no compression / gain reduction.

3. Cannot overstate it.
- FG-Grey on the drum buss makes the drums punch and come alive.
- FG-Red on the Master Buss brings everything together and gives depth.
- FG-Mu on acoustic guitars really makes them come alive and present, gives a real professional and controlled sound to the tracks.
I bought VBC. I was shocked at the amount of vibe by simply passing audio. HOFX, I think that you're right. The "umph" is maybe too much at times.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
kindafishy

Quote:
I bought VBC. I was shocked at the amount of vibe by simply passing audio. HOFX, I think that you're right. The "umph" is maybe too much at times.
What are your general thoughts?

I'm glad I held off. Acustica is only a couple weeks away from releasing the first Acqua compressor, based off an 1176, and from what I have heard so far, it is absolutely stunning. Stunning. Day one purchase for me.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post

I'm glad I held off. Acustica is only a couple weeks away from releasing the first Acqua compressor, based off an 1176, and from what I have heard so far, it is absolutely stunning. Stunning. Day one purchase for me.
I have NOT had time during a sit down mixing session to properly evaluate the VBC in their intended fashion. (I'm currently editing an album and will be mixing in the next week or two, so I'll report back afterwards.) I have however played with them for about an hour and noticed immediately how powerful they were in moving the busses into a more "finished" state.

Without getting into the classic analog vs. plugin debate, I can say that they are extremely strong contenders ITB for stereo track compression. Possibly the strongest ITB compressors that I have heard. That fact plus recall abilties make these a go to tool for my workflow. The "sound of transformers" may not be 100% exactly what some are expecting, but those debates are outside of my perspective too. They sound nice, thick, powerful, smooth, and yes, I agree that the depth is also there. With THAT all being said, I look forward to reporting back and describing how the mixing sessions transpired and how my decision making was affected by the VBC.

The fact that they were $33 each is pretty good too.

Interesting to hear about the Acqua compressor. Is the 1176 geared for more mono applicatins? That'll compliment VBC well. I'll be watching. I've had a hard time using some of the suggested plugs that Richie made mention of, but I'm VERY interested in anything that adds color/texture/harmonics. I've basically only had success with AcquaVox. Any other suggestions for Mac?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
kindafishy

Quote:
I have NOT had time during a sit down mixing session to properly evaluate the VBC in their intended fashion. (I'm currently editing an album and will be mixing in the next week or two, so I'll report back afterwards.) I have however played with them for about an hour and noticed immediately how powerful they were in moving the busses into a more "finished" state.

Without getting into the classic analog vs. plugin debate, I can say that they are extremely strong contenders ITB for stereo track compression. Possibly the strongest ITB compressors that I have heard. That fact plus recall abilties make these a go to tool for my workflow. The "sound of transformers" may not be 100% exactly what some are expecting, but those debates are outside of my perspective too. They sound nice, thick, powerful, smooth, and yes, I agree that the depth is also there. With THAT all being said, I look forward to reporting back and describing how the mixing sessions transpired and how my decision making was affected by the VBC.

The fact that they were $33 each is pretty good too.

Interesting to hear about the Acqua compressor. Is the 1176 geared for more mono applicatins? That'll compliment VBC well. I'll be watching. I've had a hard time using some of the suggested plugs that Richie made mention of, but I'm VERY interested in anything that adds color/texture/harmonics. I've basically only had success with AcquaVox. Any other suggestions for Mac?
Sounds very positive so far. Really, I have heard nothing but positive opinions of the VBC compressors, and this is certainly not the first time I have seen mention of them being amongst the best (if not the best) ITB compressors available.

The Black Comp (Acqua 1176 compressor) doesn't have features like stereo linking, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is geared toward mono processing. It would be right at home on any bus. Killer on drums. I suppose one could always bus to two hard panned 1176's if one really wanted unlinked bus compression using it.

I don't get along well with the 'full' Nebula processing workflow myself. I can't do it. I have been very impressed with what I have heard, but before Acqua, it was basically a non-starter for me.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
HOFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post

My first nebula plug was SilkEQ a month or so ago and I was very impressed.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against Slate's upcoming VMR and 1176 take.

Yes, VBC is a must have...in my opinion, glad you're all getting good results for it - it's pretty satisfying when a plugin just works.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #23
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy
I don't get along well with the 'full' Nebula processing workflow myself. I can't do it. I have been very impressed with what I have heard, but before Acqua, it was basically a non-starter for me.
I'm similar. I would appreciate someone showing me more, but that just takes time and effort. My studio is busy now, so it'll have to wait until later.

I have nothing against 1176 in parallel on a drum buss. I would probably love that grit.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
jpanderson80

Quote:
I've had some time to test out the VBC. Here are some initial thoughts:

The high pass filter knobs are great to have. I'm very glad that all three models have them. This is a great and fast feature.

The compressors worked well on busses. I will not compare the Waves SSL Buss Comp to the Grey, or anything like that. Other users are welcome to add their opinions.

GREY - Other than a normal buss duties, I tried this across a snare buss (top and bottom summed ITB). It worked GREAT. I'm an API guy. I can't get away from the API sound... the hard hitting depth in the lower end that is punchy and clean up top... I just prefer it. On a snare buss, I would probably reach for the Waves API 2500 first, but I thought "let's try the VBC Grey". It was spot on. I think that I said it in an eariler post - that I don't mind the modeled transformers being added to the SSL buss compressor. It may not be "authentic" to the original hardware, but it worked very well. I'm also a drummer, so I find that I get particular when working with drums that I recorded. First, that they are appropriately recorded well. Then that the balance is great. I think that the VBC Grey helped me achieve the snare to cut through the mix faster than any mix that I've done in the past. I'm very pleased.

RED - No one that I know owns this hardware, so again... I'm not interested in comparisons. I do know that I love the DRIVE knob at 100%. I used the VBC Red on Electric guitars and on the 2Buss (when working with full band songs). I enjoyed the thickening that it promoted. The songs are heavier with Red and thinner without Red. I have not spent time digging into this compressor with higher gain reduction levels than 1-1.5 on the 2Buss and maybe 2-3 on the Electric Guitars. I might try it on a Drum Room mic or Buss... just an idea though. I like it.

VARI-MU - I have the Waves Fairchilds, and the VBC MU does add the familiar mid presence to the signal. This is very useful for some purposes. I liked the MU on stereo Organ... I don't know the organ model, but it was a large church organ. It worked well. I did use this across a Choir buss and appreciated the mid boost. I also used it across a Parallel Vocal Buss with moderate compression (6dB) and found it worked very well. I've read about some complaining that the noise introduced with the plugin is a bit much. I did notice the noise, but I did not find it to be such a negative issue. I would prefer to eliminate that altogether (much like how I turn the Waves noise modeling OFF on their emulation plugs).

Overall, I find the compressors very good. A little bit goes a long way, actually. The plugin mix knobs can be utilized to assist in this. That feature, along with the HPF knob, are very helpful for ITB work.

(I type this next sentence with hesitation, for being grilled on some parts of the interwebs for it...) I love "color" - no matter what word you use to describe it. For me, the mix process is fun and creative, so these colorful tools fit in very well. Right now, I can easily put the VBC plugins into regular rotation of my favorite compressor plugins. I look forward to learning them well.