Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
LJames23
Human being with feelings

Default DTS 5.1 Surround DVD Audio Authoring/Burning - How?

Hi,

The problem which I am currently try to solve is how to make a DVD audio disc of music in 5.1 DTS surround format that will play through a DVD player and Amplifier both which can decode the DTS surround format and others such as DOLBY etc.... I have done a 5.1 surround project in Reaper which sounds fine and can be rendered off as a 6 channel .wav or as 6 individual mono .wav's which I then put through Minnetonka Surcode to encode the files into the DTS surround format. DTS filetype options output from Surcode are .cpt .dts or .wav (DTS WAV). When burned to a DVD as a data DVD none would work in a DVD player which is normally fine playing DTS DVD audio for example Alan Parsons On Air. From researching online I think I might need some kind of DVD audio authoring software, however, I can find nothing which seems straightforward to do this so am a bit confused atm. So if anyone knows about this stuff then any advice on how to make a DTS DVD audio disc which works would be appreciated? Surely this can't be that difficult?

Cheers,
Lloyd
LJames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
LJames23

Sorted this out in the end for anyone who ever wants to know. Basically DVD-lab Pro 2 was the authoring software which was the solution for me here. Tried a few programs not all were friendly with the DTS encoded 5.1 files. Seems more common to find DVD authoring software which like DOLBY stuff. But anyway this one enabled me to easily author a nice DVD with a 5.1 DTS mix.

Sweet.
LJames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
serr

Yeah... the lossy dolby and dts encoding firstly sounds pretty awful (dolby is worse) and secondly they make you pay a decent amount for it! (You can get free apps these days to make lossless DVDA and bluray but you have to pay for the lossy tools! What the hell is that?!)

Still not sure how I feel about this one...

You want everyone to have access to the recording even with old DVD players but calling what comes out of the speakers with the lossy encodes even a reasonable compromise is really a stretch!

Sure, they both have 'master HD' versions of the formats that are lossless. But at this point, if you can decode that you could have just played a lossless PCM version.

Movie sound with center dialog and just fx in the surrounds comes across pretty well in the lossy formats but music mixes get blurry pretty fast.

Anyway...
Deliver your final 5.1 master as a flac file for computer media players (or .mkv file if it includes video). Then there are the lossless disc formats DVDA and bluray for those with hardware disc players. Then hold your nose and include the lossy dts or dolby encode just so everyone with old machines can at least attempt to hear it.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote