Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Cybolic
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper installer for Linux

Heya folks!

I thought I'd contribute to the Reaper Linux crowd by making our favourite software a little easier to install, so I would like to present to you, LinReaper.

LinReaper will do the following for you:
  • Automatically downloads and installs the newest Reaper version available from the website, or installs from a previously downloaded Reaper installation exe.
  • Installs Reaper in a bottled Wine directory (does not mess with the rest of your system)
  • Sets up a local installation of WineAsio (again does not mess with the rest of your system)
  • Registers file types of .rpp, rpp.bak and .reapeak files (with custom icons), so you can simply double click Reaper files
  • Sets up a wrapper script around Reaper enabling it to accept normal UNIX command-line options and paths
  • Sets up a wrapper script around Reaper to transform Reaper's configuration files to follow Unix/Freedesktop guidelines and allow automatic multi-user configurations
  • Minimally configures the Reaper preferences for better Linux operation
  • Optionally creates menu shortcuts
  • Includes a tool (LinReaper Options) for installing and managing your Windows VSTs, JS effects, using Reapers more esoteric options and for advanced configuration of Wine
  • Intelligently links the Wine folders "Desktop", "My Documents", "My Music", "My Pictures" and "My Videos" to their Linux counterparts

In many regards, LinReaper is like Google's Picassa Linux port.

LinReaper requires Wine, Python, PyGTK (most distributions have these) and likes to also have the full 7Zip.

If you are using Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, Mint or Debian, the following should install everything you need:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-glade2 p7zip-full
sudo apt-get install wine
If the Cockos team is up for it, it would be very easy for me to change this into an actual Linux installer for Reaper, but I believe I have to get a green light first to not get into legal trouble.

Latest version is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/278272/Linux/LinReaper0.87.run

To use, double click the downloaded file and select "Run" if asked - you might also need to make the file executable by right clicking it and selecting Properties then the Permissions tab and checking "Allow executing file as a program".

Changes in the latest version:
  • Works with latest Wine again (no more problems with the path to "Program Files")
  • Downloading the latest version of Reaper automatically works again

Last edited by Cybolic; 05-29-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: New version
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Tallisman

he now that is really cool.
I am gonna download it and try it now.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Alex Stone

Cybolic, nice work!

You've done this in python, yes?

Alex.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
space

Nice work!
Can we have this on Reaper download page?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
StudioDave

Cybolic, I will definitely check this out. I agree that it would be wonderful if potential Reaper-on-Linux folk could have a 1-click installer, I'm sure it would be a great assist for newbies (and maybe some of us not-so-newbies).
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
DanKegel

Default What needs gdiplus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybolic View Post
LinReaper is a small tool that will download Reaper, create a "bottled" wine directory for the installation, setup WineAsio and gdiplus.dll and put a shortcut to Reaper in your programs menu
Sounds cool, you might want to incorporate this into PlayOnLinux.

But why do you need gdiplus.dll? With recent Wine, there's a
pretty good gdiplus. If some vst's don't work with Wine's builtin
gdiplus, we'd like to know about it.
Ideally you'd add a comment to the Wine AppDB page about Reaper,
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=12008
but emailing them to dank at kegel.com would do, too.
DanKegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Cybolic

Hey thanks for all the quick and friendly responses, be sure to let me know it did what it should, or if you ran into any problems.

Alex, yes I did it in python and bash scripts. Python for the GUI and bash scripts for the actual work.

DanKegel, I'm not sure about PlayOnLinux, it seems like a bit of a mess to me, plus there's also Wine-Doors, which frankly looks a bit better, so I'm not sure which to support.
In fact I'd rather have this standalone, preferably downloadable from these pages somewhere, so Linux newcomers won't have to go and find out if they like PlayOnLinux, Wine-Doors or if they should purchase CrossOver Wine, but instead they can just get the one from the Reaper forums that's build for the purpose. A better goal would of course be something akin to Google's Picassa, but this will do for now.

Also, you're absolutely right, I should file a bug report, but now that tried reproducing the error (Reaper crashing on scanning VSTs from Bootsy) it worked - without gdiplus.dll (newer Wine though), so I guess I can remove that option from the next version of LinReaper
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Cybolic

Default Version 0.2

Here we go, version 0.2 is out, with the following changes:
  • Removed gdiplus.dll from options as Wine's internal version seems to be doing just fine these days
  • Cleaned up code a bit and improved directory structure of the Reaper installation
  • The installer now adds a symbolic link to Reapers configuration directory at INSTALLDIR/config
  • Added notice to remember to disable native event synchronisation in Reaper
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/242662/...%200.2.tar.bz2

Cockos, if you're reading this, in my opinion, all that is needed to produce a proper Reaper for Linux beta would be for Reaper to autodetect that it's running in Wine and disable the native event synchronisation and also save it's configuration files in ~/.config/reaper instead of "Application Data/REAPER".
If you let me, I'd be more than happy to produce an installation package, either something like LinReaper, or an AutoPackage, deb or rpm.

--edit--

To Cockos: Checking to see if Reaper is running in Wine, should be as simple as checking if the "Software\\Wine" registry key exists.

Last edited by Cybolic; 09-29-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Cybolic

Default Version 0.3

This is going pretty fast, someone stop me :P

Version 0.3 is up, the changes are:
  • Better widgets for selecting where to install Reaper
  • Removed the option to install WineAsio, it is now installed by default
  • Packed the whole shebang into a self-extracting script (like Loki's installers and the likes)

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/242941/LinReaper0.3.run
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Alex Stone

Cybolic, you evil chap, you got me interested in this to the point that i did some research.

There's a distro called puppy linux that i had a look at yesterday. It can be installed on a usb stick, and has instructions to do so by default. It's very light, and fast, as my brief test with qemu proved. (In linux on a ppc g4 no less.)

So i'll have a go at installing the pup on a usb stick, and see if i can get it to boot for any machine. (I'll find a win machine to try it out on.)

Interesting that puppy linux worked out of the box so to speak, with sound and network, even within a qemu machine.

Alex.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
tweed

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
mrufino1

Default THANK YOU!!!!

I have been trying to get linux to work for me for music for the past few weeks, trying to dump the last reason I have windows, but after trying ardour and ext2, I realized there is too much good stuff I miss in reaper. I was resigned to sticking with xp for reaper only (I could not get wineasio installed with the guide in this forum, though I have done it in the past)- if this interfaces correctly with my firepod, I am dumping win forever. If I could get my phonic helix board working with linux, I'd be in even better shape...Have any linux wizards out there gotten it to work? Don't mean to hijack, PM me if you have any info on that and I will post elsewhere about that issue. Thanks so much for this linux installer!!!!!!!

Last edited by mrufino1; 11-17-2008 at 11:40 AM.
mrufino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybolic View Post
Heya folks!

I thought I'd contribute to the Reaper Linux crowd by making our favourite software a little easier to install, so I would like to present to you, LinReaper.
WOW!! Thanks for this contribution to the Reaper/Linux community!

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
tweed

SUCCESS!

I mighta guess. removed my desktop environment that was really making me groan at it's fluff ... then replaced with a simple tiling windows manager, removed all the extra sound stuff, now just old kernel embeded oss thing, WITH latest alsa and jack....

ran the linreaper installer defaults though used 3.0 alpha 1 and specified wine c:\reaper as install folder....

still got some of the messages though as expected it went ahead and completed...

So... a bit confused and need a tip or two I think...

nothing show ups when I select ASIO in reaper and look for what I expect should be in pull down menu ] I guess I'll try a reboot... thought don't think that will solve.

1) I have my .local folder nicely populated with all the right stuff and the shortcuts etc.

2) I bring up qjackctl.. so jack running...

3) I bring up reaper... though not sure it's the right install of it so tried both the locations I found it... YET... will look into it, though thinking there's really just the one install actual location unless I forgot something I did 2 weeks ago..

4) anyways nothing in asio pull down in reaper..

maybe I'll figure some more out right after I post this..

just raring to go hence this post!!! a bit pre-mature perhaps...though tips appreciated of course!

thanks! how cool!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
tweed

SUCCESS TWO - the sequel!!

So... don't know what the fix was though I:

1) deleted the REAPER folder entirely in .local
2) allowed reaper to install to default location programs folder

done!

works great with version 3 alpha 2

now I'll try a win VST

this is getting VERY VERY interesting...

I've gone SO linux...

it's for me SO much more than windows ever could be...
Everything get's tweaked with text files, you can learn everything you thought you couldn't...and it feels so good...

um, that's not very technical I know though I've had an incredible 6 months going from a linux dabbler to an intermediate in many areas...

very worth studying linux I'd have to say.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Jklitz

Default Reaper 4.22 breaks wineasio

I've spent hours trying yo get reaper 4.22 to see wineasio it will
not work. it worked fine in previous versions guess I will have to go back
to older version. hope this can be resolved soon. I am a registured user.
I know its not wineasio or linux otherwise guitar rig 5 wouldent work eat
but it finds wineasio no problem.
Using AVLinux 5.0.3
I would like a response from Reaper developer staff please with a fix.
Jklitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
corazon

Are you using wine 1.4x? That version now needs a registry edit,
to select alsa for wine.

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/W...figuring_Sound

Using pclinuxos, and the edit, 4.22 is fine. I may revert to
wine 1.3, based on other non-Reaper issues.

Good luck!

Last edited by corazon; 06-23-2012 at 09:47 PM.
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
Publicradio

Cybolic, thanks for your work on this. I ran the script and it looked like everything installed correctly, but I have a few questions/issues:

-The installer said to just accept all the defaults, but I unchecked some features. These were either plugins I don't use (I only need one time stretcher, not four), and most of the plugins related to things I don't use, like rewire, processing things over the network, et cetera. Is this a problem? Should I have really accepted all defaults?

-Related to the question above: I normally use portable Reaper. I wanted to install this one as portable Reaper so I could run it from Windows as well (I'm running Mint on a USB drive). Is it OK to select the portable option? Do you think I would be able to then execute it from Windows?

-Most importantly, Reaper freezes when I go to audio devices and try to select wineasio. Any idea why this might be?

-It turns out Reaper is the only Windows program I need to run. Is it OK to uninstall wine, since linreaper has its own version of wine?

-Finally, I didn't see any instructions about having to install Jack, or any dependencies besides python, wine, pygtk and 7zip. However, does it help to install a low-latency kernel?

Thanks again.
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
bennisixx

^
I don't believe you need to install the plugins you don't use, but they take up such negligible amounts of space, I'd just leave it at default settings anyway.

What I would do is set up a partition on your pc for reaper project files, samples, vsts etc, and format it to ntfs so both operating systems can see it, and point reaper there for saving and plugin folders etc

You must have jackd running--- just install qjackctl and configure. Note; you must deselect the release audio device checkbox in settings to patch reaper with your system

You must have wine installed system wide. The newer the better.

Don't go by qjackctl reported latency, go by reapers reported latency, I find that to be correct. I run reaper with a generic kernel just fine

Good luck, once you figure it out, it is so worth it and easy.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
Publicradio

Cool, I can't wait. I didn't see anything in the original instructions about needing to have jack, but I'm installing it now. Do I need to play around with jack or just leave it alone and let linreaper handle it? I have had problems getting jack to work properly in the past.

For what it's worth, I will only ever use Reaper and VSTs within Reaper to produce. I might play an mp3 in VLC while using Reaper, but this is the only thing that would ever play audio while Reaper is open. So Reaper shouldn't be competing with Reason, or Soundgarden or anything else.

Is it OK that I'm running Pulseaudio, or do I need to replace this with ALSA?
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
TuxBe

Default Problem on installing LinReaper on a CentOS 6.4

/tmp/selfgz3030529690/scripts/setup_wineasio.sh: line 34: gksu: command not found

GKsu is not used in RHEL, this authentication is done via consolehelper...
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/m...nsen/nautilus/

How could that be possible to tweak the LinReaper script to make it compatible with RHEL and CentOS (Fedora too !) ?

Thanks for your help...
TuxBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #22
Link0126

Is there an uninstaller included if I want to remove this later? or what would be the best way to do that? Thanks.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
Geoff-h3o

Default Problem installing:

Hi
I've saved page as all files end up with Reaper0.87.run,I run as admin,
opens with gedit which says "contains invalid characters" can't get any further. Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Oh yes, I'm on Mint Maya x64
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
Snap

Did you made it executable?
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
Geoff-h3o

Default Yes.....

Yes....it insists on opening file in gedit which then comes up with:

There was a problem opening the file /media/Data/Documents/Do…/Unison/LinReaper0.87.run.

....invalid characters.....

If I try "open with" I just get more text apps eg
abiword ;if I search for more it says none available.

I'm not very knowledgeable about linux but maybe this someting wrong with my system rather than the installer?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
Geoff-h3o

Default Solved!

I downloaded it to my windows data partition; now that I've copied it to home/downloads I can run it!