Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default visibility of track record mode - not much!

Has anyone found a sneaky way to make it more obvious what record mode a track is in? Specifically I would like to be obvious at a glance whether a track is in Record: input or Record: overdub mode.

I'm thinking it would be cool to combine an action that changes record mode with an action that changes the appearance of the track too. But I already use icons and colours to signify other things. any ideas?
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
bozmillar

no, but this would be handy. It can be hard to see when I'm sitting at the piano across the room.
bozmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
FnA

Couple ideas...

1.) Custom action-
Layout: apply custom layout #01 (02,03,etc)
Track: Set track record mode to MIDI overdub
(edit) Your preferred record mode as well?

Set the layout in the screensets/layouts window (CTRL+E)
I'm using Black "Default Analog" and my track colors are on the name part only, so any default color track really sticks out.

2.) Flip the phase

Last edited by FnA; 01-10-2013 at 07:39 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Mudchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Couple ideas...

1.) Custom action-
Layout: apply custom layout #01 (02,03,etc)
Track: Set track record mode to MIDI overdub
(edit) Your preferred record mode as well?

Set the layout in the screensets/layouts window (CTRL+E)
I'm using Black "Default Analog" and my track colors are on the name part only, so any default color track really sticks out.

2.) Flip the phase
track colours on name part... hmm interesting, will try this one!
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
planetnine

NIFOR at the mo, but I put Icons up on the top-left toolbar, and they reflect what mode it's in. Tying to remember if there are some already or if I used Inkie (or whatever it's called) to draw some new ones.

Too late to go switching stuff on, I'll check in the morning...

>
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
gkurtenbach

I got no solution to the request but it would also be good if the record buttons were a bit more visible when enabled. Maybe they could be a brighter red.

Also, every once in a while I accidentally record over a track when I don't notice that I have a track that is scrolled out of view record enabled. It would be good if reaper warned me about that.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
FnA

gkurtenbach, here's some tidbits which may or may not be helpful...

1.) Alt clicking a track's (or one of several selected) record arm button will cause the other tracks in the project to be disarmed.

2.) There's a setting in preferences to "always show full track panel on armed tracks." This is overridden by folder compaction, and you can accidentally click the record arm button on such a track, so it might pay to use a macro that includes actions to lock track controls or set layout to "big meter" instead of the folder button. I guess it doesn't help if they are scrolled out of view.

3.) The action SWS: Toolbar arm toggle has a specific function, but one of it's side effects is it is always lit up whenever any track is armed for recording.

It seems like I remember people talking about some kind of prerecording warning on the forum here, but maybe that was an older thing? Or just a request. Or maybe it's in there and I don't know about it There is a prompt screen available where you can save or delete files when you are done recording.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote