Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
TimTyler
Human being with feelings

Default Monitoring help, please?

I'm missing something very simple, I know it.

Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 interface...

The software controlling the interface is set to make all audio inputs direct out as well as recording into Reaper. I monitor all recording in real time with no latency.

The problem comes when it's time to punch in or overdub. In order to eliminate the latent audio signal coming from Reaper, I have to switch off the main output from my record channel in the Routing/Grouping Matrix. (Remember, I'm hearing the direct out in the phones from the audio interface.)

Switching off the channel output in the matrix is easy. The problem comes when the singer wants me to play back the latest take. In order for her to hear the take in the phones I have to switch on the main channel output. So now we have both the direct out and the latent out from Reaper in the phones. It's also a bit loud...

What am I missing?

For clarity...
Record vocal using direct out from audio interface to eliminate latency.
Turn off Reaper output of record channel using routing matrix so musician only hears direct out.
Playback time=now I must turn on the channel output so the musician can hear what he just played.

I won't be surprised if no one responds. This is probably so basic...

Thanks,

TT
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Coachz

I dont know a solution with direct monitoring. Thats why i monitor at 3ms latency.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
moveupmedia

Try muting your inputs on the I/O's software. Monitor through Reaper (which is nicer for singers b/c they get to hear any fx you have on their vocals rather than stark and dry). 3-10ms of latency won't cause any noticeable effect in timing with tracking the vocals.

Typically I'm muting all of my direct monitor sounds on my I/O again, because I can knock the latency down to undetectable levels.
moveupmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Win Conway

Not entirely sure I understand the issue here, if they are recording to a backing track then whatever is recorded will be in sync with said backing track, so when you play it back for punch/overdub it will be in sync with the backing track and not latent at all.
I am sure I am not understanding the issue though