Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
xethicx
Human being with feelings

Default Two songs, one day session, punk rock and viking metal!!

I was super bored yesterday so I recorded two songs in two genres so I could play with superior drummer a bit and tinker with some of the preset packs I bought.

The mixes are meh, the performances are also a bit meh but everyone tell me what you think regardless

Thanks everyone for all your help.

https://soundcloud.com/stormsoundstu...g-we-all-unite

https://soundcloud.com/stormsoundstu...ights-my-fault
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
suleiman

The first was undoubtedly the most metal thing i have heard posted here in while. Great song !
The second was mix wise alright, but too sugar poppy: the vox n guitars need more grit, plus the kick is too death metal for punk.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
xethicx

Thanks a lot man, the viking metal is supposed to be kind of over the top and a bit cheese as well. The punk song isnt supposed to be like black flag era punk rock its supposed to be more in the vein of NOFX, Millencolin, Good Riddance perhaps. If you listen to a lot of the 90's era skate punk youll notice that the drums were pretty metal sounding in the sense of boldness and clarity etc, especially the 90s swedish skate punk in that most of it was produced by metal producers and metal studios.

Both mixes are fairly loose, Im going to streamline them more as I tinker with Superior drummer more.

But thats a heck of a compliment on the metal song.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
suleiman

Closest thing i've heard to skater punk was Bones brigade n they were killer, as well as having a certain grit to their sound. But i see where you are coming from. NOFX etc just aint my cup of tea.

In the metal song, is a second guitar chugging with the double bass, or it just the bass Gtr?

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
xethicx

I quad tracked the guitars with fairly low gain and two different tones so yah there's some chugging but the bass tone is meaty. Both of these songs were sort of experiments that I did so I could play with new vst amp tones and superior drummer tones as well. Im going to remix the vocals completely when I have some time though, they turned out really thin and weak. I hadnt sung melodically in like 8 months before just waking up and deciding to do these songs so the performances are a little lack luster. NOFX and such might not be your cup of tea but I am glad you see what I was shooting for man.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
zoso2

Love the first one! Just awesome! I cannot pass judgment on the mix though with my current playback system.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
xethicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
Love the first one! Just awesome! I cannot pass judgment on the mix though with my current playback system.
Thanks man!! that means a lot. For me, the vocals as a whole were a little bit high in the mix, the clean vocals needed to be re-equalized and leveled and the while the sound I was going for had more reverb on the vocals than I usually use, I needed to pick a different verb.

Fixed the mix if youd like to have another go.

Last edited by xethicx; 03-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.
xethicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
shemp

first song kicks ass!

I LOL'd to this though. I assume this is you also?
https://soundcloud.com/stormsoundstu...ut-your-hat-on
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
xethicx

lol yah the Ded Leppard stuff is my comedic death metal stuff, actually my first project with my full computer set up, lol glad you liked it, I enjoy making people laugh while they listen to some beefy riffs. With that stuff, I also do everything backwards, I make the drums then write riffs on the spot and then vocals on the spot but with a predetermined subject heh. I have an 18 song album ready to put online, Ill let you know when its up if you want to check it out.

Glad you liked the song though man, that means a lot, you seem to know your metal. The vocals are supposed to be a little over the top in the viking metal vein just in case youre wondering and the song could use a better solo, I am a good rhythm player and after buying a new custom 8 string I decided to start shredder training a month ago because no one should own an 8 if they cant shred
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
kindafishy

Pretty shocked that you were able to do both of these songs in a day, man. The performances sound pretty tight to me. I actually quite like them. The first song, for instance, is really heavy and has a good feel to it. I don't like stuff that is completely precision-perfect-quantized-to-every-16th like so much heavy stuff is these days. It needs a slight human element.

Most importantly, cool songs! There is really cool attitude coming through on both.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote