Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
I was referring more to the other things I described in my post, copying and moving and starting programs etc. All of these things suddenly require pointless double-confirmation, or specific permissions - "Are you sure you want to run GIMP, even though you just right clicked on it and picked 'run as administrator (so you can save actions)'?" "Windows is about to move the folder you just tried to move. Allow?" This is not "ten times faster". The start menu/taskbar stuff is not what I'm complaining about.
Yea, I still think all those are ten times faster in Win8 once gotten used to but again, its just preference. You should never need pointless permissions prompts, that points to bad application programming or installation because the rules now being enforced have existed since Windows XP (they just gave developers a good 10 years to get used to it before they started enforcing it). I certainly don't see them and I have likely 150 apps installed and my OS is stock.

IOW, I'm flabbergasted if app such as GIMP needs admin permissions this far into the game.

Typically if you are seeing those more than rarely, something isn't generally right.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
Swamp Ape

Again, it's not just gimp, and not just applications. I can't copy or move files in C:/ without the prompts, even. I can't write Reapeaks to C:/ - I had to switch the path to E:/ just to see waveforms. Adobe stuff is the worst regarding permissions, GIMP was just an example.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Again, it's not just gimp, and not just applications. I can't copy or move files in C:/ without the prompts, even. I can't write Reapeaks to C:/ - I had to switch the path to E:/ just to see waveforms. Adobe stuff is the worst regarding permissions, GIMP was just an example.
That's because the root of the system drive is a rightfully protected location. Make a subfolder any subfolder and you'll never see that issue again. You may disagree that the root of the "system drive" shouldn't be protected but most anyone on the planet other than an end user who doesn't know why would agree it should be, that's why it is. Make a folder called ReaPeaks and call it a day.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #44
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's because the root of the system drive is a rightfully protected location. Make a subfolder any subfolder and you'll never see that issue again. You may disagree that the root of the "system drive" shouldn't be protected but most anyone on the planet other than an end user who doesn't know why would agree it should be, that's why it is.
I mean anywhere on the C drive, not just the root folder. I tried the desktop, the Reaper Program Data, the Reaper Program x86, the Reaper App Data, etc. Nothing.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
I mean anywhere on the C drive, not just the root folder. I tried the desktop, the Reaper Program Data, the Reaper Program x86, the Reaper App Data, etc. Nothing.
Then your system/permissions or something is quite hosed. That is absolutely not the default config; no wonder you are irritated.

Let me add that Program Files and Program Files (x86) and a few others are also protected but an arbitrary folder in the C: drive or your desktop and user folders aren't. If you have taken steps in the past to run a script or something to "take ownership" of the entire drive or something like that, you could see strange stuff like this. I don't think that would do it specifically but its a bad thing to do and similar in nature.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #46
Swamp Ape

Yeah, no kidding.

*thread derailment over
Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
Hmmm yes, that has been in the back of my mind.

I wonder if any/how many people have stuck with XP and 4gb RAM and are running SD2.0 with no problems....?

If you don't mind me asking, how much RAM do you have and which OS?

XP32 on a Q6600 with 4GB

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and the machine I built back in 2007(?) has ben one of the most solid and reliable performers I've ever used. SD2 is the only thing that originally made me wish for more RAM. Hit the bleeds hard with a large kit or try running more than one instance and you're sailing close to the wind.

I'd like to use Kontakt as well, but this is another thing that needs substantial amounts of RAM for the samples, and v5 doesn't support XP, only Win7 onwards. Two more of my favourite plugins have decided not to support XP in their new versions also, so I will need to move on.

I hate messing with a working system, so I'll need to build a new machine that I can put Win7 on. I'll just mothball or reassign the Q6600 once I'm happy. It took me ages to spec the Q6600 and choose the motherboard, the case and quiet PSU and CPU fan. There are firewire or Thunderbolt interfaces to think about (I need two), graphics card, working and storage drives. There are also so many drivers and hardware managers to consider, utility programs, etc, that even when I'm happy with the hardware build I'm sure it'll take me at least a couple of weeks -not something to look forward to.

I've been using Win7-64 on a laptop and I quite like it. I've only found one interface niggle, the lack of an "up" button in the folder explorer really annoys me when I'm zipping down and up folder structures checking or moving files. If that's the sum total of my gripes then it's just spending money and setting up a new machine I have to procrastinate about

I always thought that having to move OS was forever in the future. Getting a bit of ground-rush on that never-never day now...

>
Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #48
karbomusic

Quote:
I'll just mothball or reassign the Q6600 once I'm happy.
My previous machine is a Q6600, great box. It ran Windows 7 like a champ but did have some issues with 64 bit since it was released comparatively early where 64 bit is concerned. I just left it at 32 and it is still running in the other room.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #49
planetnine

Quote:
My previous machine is a Q6600, great box. It ran Windows 7 like a champ but did have some issues with 64 bit since it was released comparatively early where 64 bit is concerned. I just left it at 32 and it is still running in the other room.

I have a Win98 email/accounts/print-server machine I might retire

It always takes me a month or two to get familiar with the latest chipsets and CPUs, so even specc-ing the gear will take me forever Those i7 machines don't half shift though, so I know it will be worth the pain...

>
Old 12-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
Muzikman2008

Windowz 7 is the future :-)
Muzikman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #51
sfiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I was thinking perhaps we can build a list of things to see what works on Win7?
Here is what I wonder runs on Win7:

Yellow Tools Independance Free
East West Free - This won't install natively but maybe Virtual XP mode will work for the installer?
Harrison Mixbus
Creative Professional Proteux VX Free
Creative Professional Proteux VX Free runs without problems on Win7.
sfiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #52
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
And have you looked into enabling the 3gb switch?
I've tried using the 3GB switch and nothing happens. And when I add /PAE my system still shows only 2GB but underneath it says "Physical Address Extension"
Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #53
chucky5p

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I'd like to use Kontakt as well, but this is another thing that needs substantial amounts of RAM for the samples, and v5 doesn't support XP, only Win7 onwards.
You can install any Kontakt v5.x package on XP if you use Microsoft's Application verifier tool. I've done it and it works fine. See (from 3rd post):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...597201#5597201

And if you really need/want to use more than 3/4GB on 32bit XP, again you can with a RamDisk utility. It's a bit tedious to setup but "should" work. It creates system PageFile(s) with the extra memory and your Libraries Samples "should" end up on this RamDisk PageFile(s), which is very fast (I haven't tried it yet) See:

"Good way to use >4GB RAM with 32-bit OS":
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...with-32-bit-OS

"Making Use Of Non-Addressable Wasted RAM On 32 Bit Systems":
http://www.megaleecher.net/RAMDisk#ixzz2oGxKPUTh

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #54
joelsampson

I have one XP PC left. It's in the ham shack portion of my office and I use it to program radios and such. I'm going to keep it as is. It has a real RS-232 serial port older radios use.

I have a couple desktops and old laptops that WERE running XP. I installed Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on all of them, which works great. It's very easy to maintain and update all software with one click. Linux is great for web and business applications. I don't find Linux useful for music. I like the Studio version of Ubuntu because of the desktop. Regular Ubuntu sucks - it's too much like Windows 8.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on desktops and laptops I use for REAPER and other applications.

Last edited by joelsampson; 12-23-2013 at 12:57 AM.
joelsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #55
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Windows 7 64-bit works great with audio and everything runs smoothly on it but to be perfectly honest, it annoys me. It has a few odd quirks. Those wanting to upgrade need to be aware of these.

Windows 7 64-bit does not like to remember folder settings. My project folders contain stereo mixdown renders of everything I’ve done and I like to sort them in reverse-date modified order, so that I can see my most recent songs first.
Every single day, or minute or week or sometimes never, Windows will randomly reset the folder to 'List View', alphabetical order. Not only that, it also does this with my pictures folder, my documents and any other folder. I’ve reset the folder settings only seconds before only to reopen the folder and have it revert back to list view, a-z. It also doesn’t like to cache thumbnails. I’ve seen it regenerate a whole folder of thousands of pictures each time I open it. But sometimes it doesn't. Go figure.

I have tried every solution, nothing works. Really, every Google-able solution does not work. Even on Microsoft support, they say it works as designed and its not a bug. Can you believe that?

Link:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1318444520329

So, for this one dumb reason it irritates me.

However, Windows 7 might be a far better choice than Windows 8. For why, see this:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...h-results.html

Last edited by Retro Audio Enthusiast; 12-23-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #56
flightzone

I to will stick with xp until I'm forced to change, my rig is solid with little to no issues. my investment in my system is just to great to change at the drop of a hat with no real gain! Long live XP!!
flightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #57
Sigilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
PS:
Dux, if you read this, pretty please make a Dux Win 7 or 8.
FYI, for probably 99% of users, there's no need to cull anything from Win 7 or 8. Machines that tend to run them are strong enough hardware wise that it isn't even an issue at all. You could turn off Aero themes, but that's about it really.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #58
bigwoody

I am another if it ain't broke don't fix it guy. Running an Acer that is going on 8 years old with XP and a Delta 1010 sound card using a mixer. It has been rock solid with Reaper. I can't even remember my last crash of any kind. BUT, from what I can see there are not many new computers with PCI slots anymore so I figure once the machine goes I will start fresh on the whole deal. New Comp, latest OS and then move to a Focusrite USB or FW interface. I have been saving my gig money, and backing up my stuff, so when it happens I'm ready.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #59
karbomusic

Quote:
Delta 1010 sound card
It's truly amazing how great the Delta 66/1010 series was/is. I bought my first 66 around 2000. It's almost 2014 now and people still use these reliably. The only thing I miss is the Pre-Avid days when M-Audio updated drivers with the same frequency Cockos updates Reaper. I kind of felt the drivers went to poo comparitively after Avid bought them out.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #60
martifingers

I am on XP cos my Digidesign interface needs it, it works great and I see no reason to upgrade at all. But maybe when REAPER stops working but maybe even then I will stick to the last version that did!

I am not a professional or power user but simply need to track 8 channels at once (pretty much all acoustic with the odd MIDI track) and be able to mix with responsiveness and flexibilty. I have more than enough technology to match my creativity...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #61
xpander

I am, or maybe I should say I was a XP user for well over a decade. When the old mobo started to go this fall, I kept fixing it to keep the old system running, but have now reached a point where it doesn't make any sense anymore...some might say it never did.

With all new hardware coming in, I see no point in hanging into old OS either. I only wish that I could upgrade from XP to 8.1 with some reasonable upgrade price. Both Win7 and 8 cost about 1/3 more than XP here and the upgrade discounts seem to have disappeared, it's full price now. Well, at least I can get the OEM version which is only about 160€ ($220), whoopee...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #62
cyrano

Quote:
How? XP is by far easier for them pirate than Win8.
It seems XP is still gaining market share in China. Because of a lot of recycled old PC's that have been resold. And in Korea, almost 90% of internet users are still on XP/IE6 because the mandatory encryption every shop, bank etc. has to run is an ActiveX component. It's not always piracy ;-)
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #63
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Its not always piracy ;-)

I didn't say it was, scroll up to see I was commenting on another claim. ��
Old 12-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #64
cyrano

Quote:
I didn't say it was, scroll up to see I was commenting on another claim. ��
Hence the smiley ;-)
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Hence the smiley ;-)
That was a winky Mr. ������
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #66
satissounds

Still using an 7 year old PC running on 32 bit Windows XP. Want to keep it running for as long as I can BUT lately it's been crashing on start up (often giving me a quick blue screen) and rebooting itself. Don't know why. Looks like I will be forced to get a new PC sooner than later. Don't really relish the idea of having to install all my plugins and interfaces again.

What do you guys suggest me getting next, Windows 7 or 8. Leaning at the moment towards 7.

Cheers Keith.
satissounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #67
WOK!

I am with my music PC.
And I want to stay with it as long as possible (never change a running system).
Updating will not work correctly (as usual), and reinstalling all plugins etc....

My notebook with Intel i5 with W7 runs slower sometimes thans this music PC.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #68
Boray

Here is an interesting graph:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200812-201312
Old 01-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #69
msundh

If you thinking long term, then maybe Win 8 is the best. That is the one Microsoft is focused on.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 AM   #70
satissounds

[QUOTE=msundh;1296155]If you thinking long term, then maybe Win 8 is the best. That is the one Microsoft is focused on.[/QUOTE

Cheers.

When that time eventually arrives I will have a word with the tech guy I use to get my PC from to get his advice.

Thanks again, Keith.
satissounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #71
bob

According to leaked internal documents from the German Federal Office for Security in Information Technology (BSI) that Die Zeit obtained, IT experts figured out that Windows 8, the touch-screen enabled, super-duper, but sales-challenged Microsoft operating system is outright dangerous for data security. It allows Microsoft to control the computer remotely through a built-in backdoor. Keys to that backdoor are likely accessible to the NSA – and in an unintended ironic twist, perhaps even to the Chinese.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #72
unsound

Just moved from Dux's nlited XP to Win 7 and everything is so far so good, used Dux's version of XP from the first day he released and it has been super fast ever since, but my mobo died and I needed more memory so it was time to move on.....

I've been using Win 8, 8.1 now, for a year at home on my gaming "console" and have not had one negative issue with it.....I cannot speak on the audio side of it, but it seems to be stable as hell!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #73
woogish

Default xp for me

Years ago I bought enuf parts to assemble 3 or 4 XP 32 machines from total scratch, including video cards, soundcards (including SW1000XG), RAM, MOBO's, HD's, CPU's, power supplies --- EVERYTHING.

I've got a complete backup machine assembled that has seen only test usage.

2 more assembled without being tested yet.

I can run as many VSTi's as I might need (usually 2-4). I have two Powercore Firewires.

I do backing tracks for Las Vegas shows, my own duo, my own CD's, commercials, radio shows and voiceovers, etc.

XP runs absolutely flawlessly. I finally figured out how to get Reaper's MIDI I/O working consistently, and my CPU usage on even the most complex mix I do is 25 to 35 percent.
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #74
RoboPlankton

I'm old, cruddy, cynical and smelly....XP is my best friend .
Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #75
FKAB

I was that XP guy until two weeks ago my machine started showing signs of extreme fatigue. I picked up a new 6coreAMD, 16gb ram, 1TB HD, Win 7, 64 bit.
Seriously guys go 64 bit, it's awesome sound-wise. With as much RAM as you can afford. I know a lot of you are tied to your favourite plugs and the 32 bit bridging in Reaper is a bit fugly, you dont have to scrap your XP just yet, but I think you will notice the immediate difference.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #76
korakios

The memory limit was the main reason I switched to win8 64bit.I installed the classic shell to have a normal desktop environment and I never looked back.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #77
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I just went from xp to 8 two weeks ago. So far, so good, but I have drivers for my interface (maudio c600).
I went from XP/32 to Win8.1/64 over the course of a few weeks late last year. My 12+ yo Delta66 is working fine with the 7 drivers.

It was time. I have zero regrets. Get the grade school Metro stuff under control and Win8.1 screams.

I highly recommend http://www.classicshell.net/

There are some DX/i that I can't use in Reaper/x64 that are left over from years on the Cakewalk ranch. They work if I launch Reaper/x32 ... but I'm learning to move on

RIP XP
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #78
FKAB

Another thing...

64bit adds a "compression" that I've never heard before, I'm currently going through all my D&B CD's that I hadn't played for years. There's a tightness and clarity that's very noticable. Maybe it makes the speakers more efficient or something, one of you techy guys might do a better job of explaining and terminology. I'm thinking about the possibility of reducing or completely eliminating compression from recordings. The stereo field is also incredible hearing stuff I never noticed before.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #79
Gerry

I did not want to move from the security/comfort zone of XP unfortunately at the end of the day the lack of software and driver support forced me into it. Not only XP had to go but also my Yamaha 01X as I couldn't face the hassle of trying to get it to work on Windows 7. (Yamaha stopped drivers after Vista)

Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (Just love the pre's on this). Installed Reaper 64 Bit, reinstalled VST's that had 64 Bit available plus all the latest updates from NI Komplete all installed and work perfectly. Everything appears just that much quicker. End of story I just wish I had made the move earlier
Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #80
rickeb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
MY main reason is I have a Delta-66 sound card and M-audio drivers in the past have been troublesome.
I'm using XP on a dedicated machine, and will probably stay for much the same reason: I have an M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card, and don't want to deal with potentially troublesome drivers. Plus, as a hobbyist, it's difficult to justify buying a new system (which I would have to do as the machine is old and wouldn't support Win7/8) just for recording when my curent system is running along just fine for what I use it for.
rickeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote