Old 03-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
MikeVB
Human being with feelings

Default No Solo or Fader Control w/MIDI (Hardware)

I recorded three MIDI tracks through the inputs of my Focusrite 18i8 interface into a Roland SC-88 tone generator - that is, three separate instruments (for sake of argument, piano, guitar and trumpet). I routed them on arbitrary channels, 3, 6 and 14 and they all recorded and played back properly (w/my output to a monitor-only/record-disabled stereo out from the SC-88).

However, when I select the "S"olo button on any of the three instruments/tracks, I do not hear that particular part exclusive of the others as I'd think I should. Also, the individual faders do not affect the respective track I chose to fade. Only the master lowers or raises the volume of all three parts at once.

Curiously however, on separate projects when I record virtual instruments, the solo and faders, etc. DO all work separately and autonomously (and digital audio is similarly fine).

Is there something I'm not understanding or doing that would allow me to exercise separate control of the output of each of the three tracks independently in my external hardware/MIDI setup?
MikeVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
MikeVB
Human being with feelings

I am almost certain I found the answer in the OM (I'm at work and researching -- shhhhh... so not at home to experiment). Per Chapter 13 it appears I should invoke "MIDI Track Controls" [-Link track volume/pan to MIDI Channel] which appears to allow one to separately control volume and panning in MIDI.

That's it (I hope)!!! Thanks all for at least viewing the thread. I realize probably nobody else works with external MIDI synths enough to have known about this.
MikeVB is offline   Reply With Quote