Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
shoyoninja
Human being with feelings

Default Problems - GUI causing audio drops/glitches when moving screen items

Hi,

Im currently using Reaper on Windows 7, and Im having some weird behavior when I move anything on my screen during playback/recording. Peak meters and the cursor are OK to move, but should any scrolling take place, or even if I resize a track, glitches happen immediately. I even turned media peaks off.

It happens even with just 1 track, my audio disk is not fragmented, DPC Latency is low and All processor power saving options are off ( I even checked it with CPU-Z to make sure that the clock was full all the time), C1E core parking is off too. Other daws show no problem at all (I have Cubase AI and Studio One on the same machine, and I can run them with very low latency)

First I suspected that it could be the GPU, so I changed it. No deal, the exact same problem is still happening. The problem only starts to fade after I set the ASIO buffer to 2M, which I think is not really a solution.

Does anyone have a clue of what is happening? It seems like the GUI thread is eating up ALL processor power, actually, Reaper seems to freeze and wait for the scrolling or resize to end. Following that idea I tried to change the audio thread priority to the max. Still no result. Aero and all effects are turned off.

Right now I have to set zoom to full out to record, so that no scrolls take place and glitches the audio. When editing it is a real pain.

I tried to run both the x64 and 32 bit versions of Reaper using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 and 64 bits. Same problem happened.

Thanks for the help.
shoyoninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
shoyoninja
Human being with feelings

Turns out the problems seems to be related to the Nvidia drivers.

By some weird design implementation, the power management algorithm of the drivers decide that when you scroll the screen, or even resize a track, you need another power profile to kick in on the GPU. And, changing the clock profile causes a DPC spike. On older drivers huge spikes happened, now they are smaller, but they still happen and its slow enough to cause audio problems.

So if you just let DPC latency run without moving the screen, everything is great. You will only spot the problem if you open a window and scroll around it.

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the power profiles (which Nvidia calls Powermizer) on Nvidia control panel... I found a solution that I'm yet to test:

http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.ph...e/nvpmmanager/

Why is this only an issue on Reaper I dont know, maybe the other apps use another approach to show the GUI and the drivers do not detect a need to change the profile?
shoyoninja is offline   Reply With Quote