Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Consolous
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper no playback or recording

So basically my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 first gen) and Reaper have worked well for a long time. 2 days ago out of nowhere my cursor would not move when I played a track or tried to record something.

When I change to DirectSound or WaveOut sound does come out.

I tried uninstalling my Scarlett MixControl 1.8 and then I installed it but it asked a firmware update and it would always fail when I tried.

So I found on a video that a guy said to get the beta Scarlett MixControl 1.9, so I did. After a couple of tries it finally opened.

When I play my guitar I can hear it from the headphones connected to the interface coming out from the MixControl, so that proves that the interface works too.

Luckily, now when I playback a track inside Reaper, the cursor does move and it shows sound coming out, but the actual sound doesn't come on my headphones (even though it does in the MixControl). It must be some configurations on either the Reaper or the MixControl.

Some information to give you a better idea:

- Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (1st Gen)
- Scarlett MixControl 1.9
- Driver version 3.2.2.
- Windows 7
- Reaper v5.40 x64

Edit: I uninstalled my Avast antivirus and now I have sound but with a lot of clipping noises, what do I change?

Last edited by Consolous; 05-01-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Consolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
ivansc

Did you read all the earlier threads about this problem? And my post warning focusrite users about this?

It could well be that this is related to the same issues others are having with their anti virus.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Consolous

Oh believe me, I have searched and searched and none helped. That is why as a last resort I had to make my own thread.

Edit: I actually did check a thread that said he uninstalled the Avast and it worked. I just did and now I have sound but there are also a lot of clipping noises
Consolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
ivansc

So you hadn't REALLY read all the previous threads?

I suspect you are going to find your clipping noises are connected to either your shiny new focusrite audio device drivers misbehaving or the way you have reapers ASIO buffer set.

Quick and dirty method as always would be to run Resplendence.com's latency monitor and see what it throws up, but it sound s like you got caught by recent changes by both MS (AVAST, AVG,etc) and Focusrite "improving" their drivers at the same time.

I never could get a gen 1 saffire6, Scarlett2i2 or 2i4 to run with decent latency and no rice crispies once I upgraded from a dual core processor to an i5 some years ago. Hopefully the new drivers will settl down and gen 1 owners will finally get reliable performance again.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
ududidj

Default Thank you for posting this fix for 6i6 and Avast users

First off and point blank; I had this exact same issue up until finding this, just starting last night. Reaper would not play via ASIO, though fine in other non-ASIO protocol. I uninstalled/re-installed Reaper and the 6i6 drivers several times. IOBit un-installer seemed to clean out a bunch of leftover detritus. Upon re-install, same issue.

Interestingly, Reason would still play fine via ASIO.

I did a virgin fresh install of Reaper and 6i6 on another computer (also running Avast) and had the same result. I started pointing to something flaking in the 6i6 until I found this thread.

The original post absolutely described what I was dealing with, right down to the Avast AV. After I un-installed Avast, Reaper runs fine again via ASIO. I had been running Reaper and Avast perfectly fine for several months. So, some recent update with Avast has hosed 6i6 use with Reaper.

On that note, suggestions on what should I replace Avast with? Even disabling it until reboot did not help the issue.

Like the thread originator, I also looked around for ideas and came up empty. This one seems to have stung a group of us just in the past couple of days. I notified Avast on why I un-installed their product. Perhaps, they will get it back dialed in.

--bp--
ududidj is offline   Reply With Quote