Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
halfbeing
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI notes sticking with Sampletank

I have been trying to get SampleTank Custom (the free version of Sampletank 3) to work in Reaper, but I have been having MIDI problems. When I play from the MIDI keyboard, and sometimes when I play from the track piano roll, notes don't get released. They sound indefinitely until I press the Sampletank panic button or click on the keys in the plugin window. After I press the panic button most notes get ignored altogether, but the few that do sound fail to get released, as before. I don't get this problem when I use Sampletank in standalone mode. I have also never had this problem with any other plugin. I have contacted IK Multimedia, but so far they haven't come up with any ideas. Can anyone here shed any light on this? Thanks in advance.
halfbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
DarkStar

Are there any particular circumstances in which it occurs?

Is it easy to recreate the problem?

If so, you could:
(a) record the MIDI and see if any notes stretch out (i.e. no Note Off received)
or
(b) add a MIDI Monitor (insertpizhere does one), or ReaControlMIDI with the log enabled, to the track and make sure that Note Offs are being received from the keyboard
(c) see if you can recreate it using Reaper's Virtual MIDI Keyboard
Old 02-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
halfbeing

Thanks very much for replying.

I can always reproduce one or other versions of the problem by playing from either of my external MIDI keyboards, the two versions being: 1. All key presses are played up to the maximum number of voices, but none are released; or 2. Only a few of all key presses are played, but none are released.

I was not able to reproduce the issue when I tried the Reaper virtual keyboard. However, given the unpredictable behaviour with the piano roll, I don't know whether the same thing would happen in another project.

In the piano roll viewer I can see on the left hand side that Reaper starts and releases notes correctly in accordance with what I am doing at the keyboard. This is not a big surprise because Reaper plays every other instrument I plug into it without messing up the MIDI.

As for MIDI sequences played from the piano roll, in two projects they played fine, but in another project I got the same sticky note problem that I get when I play from an external keyboard.

I've just tried your suggestion about recording what I play. The notes in the piano roll are the proper duration and don't get sustained indefinitely. However this time, when I tried to play them back, I heard nothing at all.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
DarkStar

AS you have seen the note ons/offs indicated correctly in the piano roll keyboard that certainly suggest that the problem lies within ST3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbeing View Post
but in another project I got the same sticky note problem that I get when I play from an external keyboard.
Quote:
The notes in the piano roll are the proper duration and don't get sustained indefinitely. However this time, when I tried to play them back, I heard nothing at all.
Can you Export those two MIDI clips from Reaper (in the MIDI Editor / File menu), ZIP them up and post them here as an attachment so we can have a look and see what's not happening.

Also, please say what what point the problem occurs and exactly which SampleTank instrument you've loaded.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
prezbass

Quote:
I have been trying to get SampleTank Custom (the free version of Sampletank 3) to work in Reaper, but I have been having MIDI problems. When I play from the MIDI keyboard, and sometimes when I play from the track piano roll, notes don't get released. They sound indefinitely until I press the Sampletank panic button or click on the keys in the plugin window. After I press the panic button most notes get ignored altogether, but the few that do sound fail to get released, as before. I don't get this problem when I use Sampletank in standalone mode. I have also never had this problem with any other plugin. I have contacted IK Multimedia, but so far they haven't come up with any ideas. Can anyone here shed any light on this? Thanks in advance.
I had - and still have - this same problem with Sampletank 3 if I use the VST3 version in Reaper. Studio One doesn't have the issue, so it's definitely Reaper related.

The workaround I found is super easy, and it always works: Use the VST2 version! That was it. I've even gone so far as to rename the Sampletank VST3 plugin so Reaper doesn't even see it so I can't even accidentally choose it.

Hope that helps.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
DarkStar

^^^
Please report your findings to IK Multimedia on a Support Ticket too.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
prezbass

Did.

IK said they will not fix it, since it is a Reaper only issue, and they "currently don't support Reaper" as a bonafide DAW.

Whatever. VST2 works fine and that's what I use.

Movin' on.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
DarkStar

Hmm, that's not a good response from IK.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Hmm, that's not a good response from IK.
Not disagreeing with you there. It is what it is. I don't use ST all that much, and when I do, the VST2 version does what I need.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
PitchSlap

I get this too. It started happening after the last changes to how note offs are sent. Happens with a few other VSTi's, mostly old.

There's probably a pref to fix it, but I can't be bothered since ST is only used in old projects.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #11
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post
Did.

IK said they will not fix it, since it is a Reaper only issue, and they "currently don't support Reaper" as a bonafide DAW.

Whatever. VST2 works fine and that's what I use.

Movin' on.
I guess then that they won't mind if the REAPER community doesn't support ST as a bonafide VST.

The only time that I have had major midi note hang-ups is with ST. I don't have time, patience or money for company like that.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #12
falconep

Default Sticking Notes or Loops?

Just a suggestion: Is the ST instrument a Looper? Even INSTRUMENTS not under the LOOP tab do have the LOOP symbol next to them. One keypress turns it on, and it stays on until the next time that same key is pressed.
See this> http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...59&postcount=2

I just recorded a track with a Drum Loop. The track has only two midi notes (On & Off). I then Rendered it to get the entire thing visible in a WAV track.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
halfbeing

Many thanks for all your contributions. Sorry for not responding quicker but I must have missed the notification that someone had replied. And a big shiny medal to prezbass for his workaround. I can confirm that the note-offs are correctly transmitted if you use the VST2 plugin rather than VST3.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #14
prezbass

Quote:
Many thanks for all your contributions. Sorry for not responding quicker but I must have missed the notification that someone had replied. And a big shiny medal to prezbass for his workaround. I can confirm that the note-offs are correctly transmitted if you use the VST2 plugin rather than VST3.
No medal required, my friend!! Happy to have been assistance.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #15
DK072257

Default Midi sticks

Quote:

I don't think the problem is with SampleTank. I am having a very similar problem with Dimension Pro. Made it through the first two verses of the song no problem. On the 3rd, it's stuck on the first piano chord, even when I put in the next several (cut and paste) only the first chord is sounding. I've deleted the 3rd verse out and redone it only to have it keep happening. Recently got the last two updates for Reaper and have noticed several weird things going on, plugins that were audible before now totally gone.
DK072257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #16
slum_x

I'm having the same problem with NI Kontakt as well as my Nord Lead 4.
slum_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #17
ulfkilberg

Default Still a problem?

Hi,

I just started playing around with Sampletank 3 Custom Shop. It seems pretty much random when ST3 picks up a midi note, and it always gets stuck, even though note off is logged by ReaControlMIDI (which I put before ST3 in the FX chain). I can't find a more up to date thread, so I post in this one. I use the latest Reaper release (5.941).

/Ulf
ulfkilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
ulfkilberg

Default Still a problem?

Sorry, actually found the "fix" now in another thread. VST-version (not VST3) seems to work.
ulfkilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #19
Drumer3914

Default Sampletank issue

I found that the vst2 worked as well but when I use my mouse (not my midi controller)and click on a loop I still get signal and sound but when I hit record o get no midi notes and no sound on playback
I am on reaper 5.791
Drumer3914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 AM   #20
mikefloutier

Yes, I came here looking for a solution to the same problem.

I found that a non-vst3 version of ST3 had been included in my download BUT the scanning specs in preferences simply didn't include the relevant folder - easy to fix that and all was well - phew!
mikefloutier is offline   Reply With Quote