Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #201
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
@ karbomusic

Well, I was skeptical. Did some more research. And you're right.

It doesn't really matter much, as you don't need to use a browser and as long as you can do it outside of the browser, it's moot. And you can still do it inside the browser too, if you're real stubborn, with javascript.
Thanks for checking, been a little busy. On a side note, did you see the reference Justin made about a Raspberry Reaper build?

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=286
Old 04-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #202
Softsynth

Previously I have discussed the relatively painless updates with Win10. Today was not so good. The latest Win10 update which I put on two PCs today was a pain.
Most of the other ones have been smooth and typically undetectable (only finding out they had happened upon restarting the PC).
This one stopped the internet connection from working on both machines (Intel & AMD) for a while, and because you do not get onscreen warnings about updates I was under the impression that the broadband network was playing up, but it was just issues with the update.

The one machine stuck on the updating screen for over an hour, and I had to tell it to close down to restart it, with the whirly wheel of updates still telling me it was still installing. It had almost certainly finished long ago, this was just update hiccups. I'm sure a lot of people will have been unhappy with this latest update.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #203
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Previously I have discussed the relatively painless updates with Win10. Today was not so good. The latest Win10 update which I put on two PCs today was a pain.
Most of the other ones have been smooth and typically undetectable (only finding out they had happened upon restarting the PC).
This one stopped the internet connection from working on both machines (Intel & AMD) for a while, and because you do not get onscreen warnings about updates I was under the impression that the broadband network was playing up, but it was just issues with the update.

The one machine stuck on the updating screen for over an hour, and I had to tell it to close down to restart it, with the whirly wheel of updates still telling me it was still installing. It had almost certainly finished long ago, this was just update hiccups. I'm sure a lot of people will have been unhappy with this latest update.
I think it is very dependent on system configuration. The latest update went without a hitch for me, but the last one was a pain.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 PM   #204
Endisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post

Oh snap yes I had the same thing. Internet cut out while it was updating.
Windows 10 has been great and I wouldnt downgrade - no problems with audio, and a smoother system and faster startup etc. But I dont like the updates as it does seem to run without being able to stop and even the downloading like todays, seems to affect the system. As it seems to install a part before saying "restart needed", and it is during this install that weird things have happened. Also I would say that im not totally convinced that wifi issues have been totally squashed.
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #205
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Thanks for checking, been a little busy. On a side note, did you see the reference Justin made about a Raspberry Reaper build?

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=286
Yes, sure. I saw that the minute it was posted, I think. It's fantastic.

I've been checking the status of my interfaces. Don't think they'll run on the Pi. One reason is the weak USB, the other is the firmware loader got dropped from debian a while ago (2008?). And I haven't been able to get it running myself. The interfaces run fine with an X86 debian, not with the Pi.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:46 AM   #206
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endisol View Post
Oh snap yes I had the same thing. Internet cut out while it was updating.
Windows 10 has been great and I wouldnt downgrade - no problems with audio, and a smoother system and faster startup etc. But I dont like the updates as it does seem to run without being able to stop and even the downloading like todays, seems to affect the system. As it seems to install a part before saying "restart needed", and it is during this install that weird things have happened. Also I would say that im not totally convinced that wifi issues have been totally squashed.
Hi Endisol,
I am using a wired connection for both of these totally different Win10 systems.
I've not had a message telling me to restart the pc yet on win 10. All updates have just happened when I chose to turn off. It could be tailored to the user though; I do turn off my pc. Maybe I should look in menus see if I can turn warnings on.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:39 AM   #207
ivansc

Telling windows you are on a metered connection gives you back a little more control, too.
Once it knows you might be A) paying per byte and B) have a bandwidth limit it does seem to be more amenable to updating when YOU want it to.

At least it does on my system since I did it.
Much less visible/intrusive now.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #208
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Telling windows you are on a metered connection gives you back a little more control, too.
Once it knows you might be A) paying per byte and B) have a bandwidth limit it does seem to be more amenable to updating when YOU want it to.

At least it does on my system since I did it.
Much less visible/intrusive now.

Only for wireless connections. At the moment I am happy enough with the normal system, this hiccup is the exception.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #209
Liquid Fusion

Upgraded from Win 10 to Win 7. Cloud activated. Immediately installed clean Win 10 on SSD from flash boot drive. Solid as a rock. Malwarebytes RT / Windows Defender. Boots under 10 sec.

Posting this for you and as a quick reference for me.

FOR OEM people who upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 then cloud activated, download a fresh Win 10 ISO and your're good to go. Cloud will activate your new clean install.

Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO? / Download Media Creation Tool

Latest Win 10 update / running JV16 Power Tools Registry Cleaner / agressive mode possibly corrupted audio processing files? SFC showed corrupt files. Deleted extra audio programs. Deleted Asio4all. Ran DISM. System clean again. Able to use Echo Audio 2011 audio drivers for my Layla 3G ADDA - w/no pblms there.

SFC SCANNOW and DISM RESTOREHEALTH - Repair Corrupt Files - Painless

More Info - Click Here

Aggressive use of Power Tools Registry Cleaner in Win 10, might result in loss of access to the Win 10 menu / notifications. If that happens to you -

1. Reinstall Windows apps

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 04-21-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #210
bobobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Upgraded from Win 10 to Win 7.
UR my hero, man
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #211
nero1

Win 10 running fine on my laptop. Nothing to complain about.
nero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #212
nero1

Avoiding forever upgrading to Windows 10 http://pc4u.org/avoiding-forever-upg...to-windows-10/
nero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #213
ivansc

....until Win Whatever you are using ceases current support and eventually stops supporting something really important to you.
And then presumably you will have to pay whatever the going rate is to either buy or pay to subscribe to Win10.
I`m one of those people who likes to know the worst right away and get it over with, so I have in the past always subscribed to the Insider early and pre-release betas.
And to be honest, so long as you have more than one computer, running the betas is no big deal, plus you get to find out really early IF you have any problem hardware, software, etc.
And in this ever more and more controlling world, you still have the choice of what you allow on your machine.
Me? As soon as a version of Linux that will run Reaper with my hardware configuration 100% reliably I will be on it.
Same goes for any other more agile/flexible OS than Windows.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:37 AM   #214
ChrisSTC

Default windows 10 issue?

I have recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I have opened old projects i was working on before the upgrade and now they start to struggle, i get the red transport bar and it all grinds to a halt, thing is these projects ran fine before the windows 10 upgrade. I also just installed the lastest version of Reaper.

Anyone help?

Chris.
ChrisSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 AM   #215
Barksy

I keep getting update notices on my 2 PC's. Last week i left them on for a while and came back to find they had automatically updated to windows 10?

Pretty pissed, but luckily i was able to revert back.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #216
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSTC View Post
I have recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I have opened old projects i was working on before the upgrade and now they start to struggle, i get the red transport bar and it all grinds to a halt, thing is these projects ran fine before the windows 10 upgrade. I also just installed the lastest version of Reaper.

Anyone help?

Chris.
Give us a rundown of your computer and interface and what plugs you are using.
Could be as simple as a plug that needs updating for win10, drivers for your interface, etc.
Did you do the compatibility test MS recommends before upgrading?
Too late now but a very useful inclusion since win7 IIR
Old 05-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #217
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksy View Post
I keep getting update notices on my 2 PC's. Last week i left them on for a while and came back to find they had automatically updated to windows 10?

Pretty pissed, but luckily i was able to revert back.
Yep. MS is getting pretty aggressive. When the "There are updates available" dialog comes up, clicking the cross no longer means "Go away, please!". It suddenly means "Go ahead!" The sneaky basterds have changed the status of the Win10 update to "recommended".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221

And I hear it will be even more enforced from july on, when everybody's off guard because of the holidays.

They really need to show some positive numbers, after ditching Windows Phone and selling the Nokia name.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #218
heda

we can always upgrade windows 10 to windows 7
Or better, to Linux, once REAPER for linux is stable. There is a very good one release already in LoL
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #219
ChrisSTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Give us a rundown of your computer and interface and what plugs you are using.
Could be as simple as a plug that needs updating for win10, drivers for your interface, etc.
Did you do the compatibility test MS recommends before upgrading?
Too late now but a very useful inclusion since win7 IIR
Thanks, i will get back to you with that info.
ChrisSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:39 AM   #220
ivansc

Quote:
Yep. MS is getting pretty aggressive. When the "There are updates available" dialog comes up, clicking the cross no longer means "Go away, please!". It suddenly means "Go ahead!" The sneaky basterds have changed the status of the Win10 update to "recommended".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221

And I hear it will be even more enforced from july on, when everybody's off guard because of the holidays.
Havent seen this happen yet on my Win10 Pro install OR the Win home on eon this laptop. Will be keeping my eyes peeled....

EDIT HA HA What a twat I am! Forgot this is to persuade you to install win10 and I am already ON win 10.
My wife asked me to put her back on 7 so it will be interesting to see if SHE gets force fed win10 while I am away in France and cant help her!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:58 AM   #221
EvilDragon

Quote:
They've backtracked from doing that now.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #222
snooks
Banned

Quote:
They really need to show some positive numbers, after ditching Windows Phone and selling the Nokia name.
They aren't ditching Windows Phone, they are concentrating on developing their own high value phone brand. The rumours are that it's going to be x86 with lots of memory (and storage) so with Continuum the line between phone and computer is going to be wiped out.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #223
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
They aren't ditching Windows Phone, they are concentrating on developing their own high value phone brand.
LOL.

You 'in marketing?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #224
fozz

Default Widows 10

I'm running windows 10 pro on Dell precision M4800, works perfectly, had no problems at all, maybe some hardware is better suited than others
fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #225
ivansc

(grin) more like some adopters are more suited to it than others!

And welcome to the forums!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #226
snooks
Banned

Quote:
LOL.

You 'in marketing?
MS is doing a reboot of its phone arm. I know you wish them a slow, painful death but they are actually the only company apart from Canonical who seem to be working towards desktop and mobile not continuing to be separate entities.

I also question the geek credentials of anybody who is not excited about the prospect of an x86 Surface Phone with 8GB RAM and an SSD in it. I'll be all over it when it is released.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:17 AM   #227
TheWhistler

Maybe I have to take up the cudgels for Microsoft right now.
Despite their spying-shit, the update worked like a charm.

I had a new notbook 2 months ago, that had to have win10 (6th gen. intel core not supports win 7 anymore).
That actual notebook installed win10 in about 20 minutes and to my absolute surprise downloaded and installed every single driver just by itself.

Working with that notebook is a pure pleasure (BTW what is the right place to write a review, as I can really recommend this peace of gear?)

So I decided to no more procrastinate my switch to win10 on my main DAW-computer.
I can do nothing else than say, it works so well like I never would have expected.

Best thing: Even my old (but sill good sounding) M-Audio delta 2496 works with the old drivers.
There are no new ones for win10 at all. Didn´t matter.
Just switched -> no problems at all.

Last edited by TheWhistler; 06-12-2016 at 04:42 AM.
TheWhistler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #228
avocadomix

Curious when will be that moment that people begin to realize that Microsoft changed their policy regarding Windows, which means that Win10 Home is not intended to work as a production system. How many hiccups does one need to realize that? How many things suddenly breaking? How much time waiting for the OS to finish its updates (which might be actually "upgrades"), praying for it to not break anything?

C'mon people, a rolling-release OS is not a production system by definition, especially an OS that's rolling regardless of what you want.

Besides, isn't it humiliating just a little to have your schedule changed by your computer?

Last edited by avocadomix; 06-12-2016 at 05:21 AM.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #229
cyrano

Quote:
MS is doing a reboot of its phone arm. I know you wish them a slow, painful death but they are actually the only company apart from Canonical who seem to be working towards desktop and mobile not continuing to be separate entities.
Have any links to that?

Quote:
I also question the geek credentials of anybody who is not excited about the prospect of an x86 Surface Phone with 8GB RAM and an SSD in it. I'll be all over it when it is released.
A true geek would know that Intel is not capable of making a mobile processor.

I'm not against the X86 platform. Would love to have a machine that runs that immense heritage of X86 based software. But it's not going to happen on a phone.

Even if MS is capable of making an X86 phone, it won't run that heritage either. All that old software needs a bigger screen anyway. And that's "bigger" as in physically bigger, not "higher resolution" as it will work with 640 x 480, but you can't read anything on a phone screen.

BTW. I had a Windows phone. It works well, it's fast and even quite stable. But there's NO software for it and meanwhile, the platform is dead. Glad I gave it to someone who's still using it. As a phone...
Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #230
avocadomix

Quote:
A true geek would know that Intel is not capable of making a mobile processor.
A true true geek would know that intel atom cpus are used in smartphones, including some asus zenfones.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #231
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
A true true geek would know that intel atom cpus are used in smartphones, including some asus zenfones.
Which have 0,000001% of the market...

Because of battery life, mainly. And it's a budget model. It's cheap, but you'll need to charge every night and every noon if you use it. If you don't it doesn't matter.

And that is the biggest complaint smartphone users have. It's OK if it lasts the day. It's not OK if they can't get through their day without charging.

I wonder how much Intel paid to convince Asus to bring out a couple of models with atom's in them.

And where is the link about MS rebooting their phones show?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #232
avocadomix

Quote:
And where is the link about MS rebooting their phones show?
I didn't subscribe to that discussion.

Anyway, I know someone who owns the atom Zenfone. He doesn't need to charge twice a day and overall likes the thing. Not sure what the market share is but anyway, there you have an intel-made mobile cpu. Not as efficient as the ARM but it's probably not the end of the story either.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #233
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
Not as efficient as the ARM but it's probably not the end of the story either.
Yeah, thanks for the tip about these Asus phones. I didn't know about these.

I just fear it's the same story as the Edison. Too little, too late. ARM is a very difficult competitor for Intel. They can't buy them and they can't underbid them. It's not one company, it's a concept. And they get rich more or less the same way MS did, long ago.

Imagine, if ARM gets 10 cents for every phone with an ARM processor sold...

That's why I don't see much exciting happening in the duopoly MS and Intel have created. And maybe that's creating opportunities for other, smaller and more innovative companies. MS and Intel have been rather lazy on innovation. And when they do invent things, they just file for a patent and put the innovation in the freezer.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #234
snooks
Banned

If you Bingoogle "Surface Phone" you can see the rumour/marketing mill in action. Maybe read this too....

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...obile-strategy

I'll be very disappointed if it's ARM, there are conflicting reports/rumours about that.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #235
avocadomix

Quote:
That's why I don't see much exciting happening in the duopoly MS and Intel have created. And maybe that's creating opportunities for other, smaller and more innovative companies. MS and Intel have been rather lazy on innovation. And when they do invent things, they just file for a patent and put the innovation in the freezer.
Both have loads of $$ and that's how they rule the market. Not by innovation but by sabotaging competitors.
Although I think Microsoft is not comparable to Intel in terms of laziness. Intel is a hardware company. What's more, they specialize on producing the most sophisticated and at the same time the most important component of the system - the CPU. And they work on a fantastic scale. They must produce reliable stuff because once manufactured and sold, chips can not be patched. If even 0.1% of their chips were unreliable, this would have caused a major scandal. Considering these facts, intel is doing a pretty good job at innovation. So maybe the CPU cores are not doubling in performance each generation, but the integrated GPU cores are making a major progress. Modern Intel low-end integrated GPUs outperform 4 years old low-end dedicated GPUs. That maybe doesn't sound like wow, but then think that these integrated GPUs are physically located on the same package as the CPU. So you get a fairly decent GPU without additional complexity, thermal and power overhead. All that is rock-solid and as reliable as humanly possible - and we are talking about consumer products. So Intel are doing a pretty decent job I think.

Microsoft, on the other side, don't innovate because they are a bloated, poorly-managed organization. The head doesn't know what the legs are doing. While not innovating, their main product is excessively complicated, buggy and capricious. The changes they do introduce are often ridiculous and alienating to the users. But weirdly, their product is by far the most popular on the market. The only reason for that popularity (besides the momentum) is that they manage to sneak it into the vast majority of new computers.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #236
cyrano

Have a look at the people who left Intel recently. James Reinders, Brian David Johnson, Brian Devore, Anand Chandrasekher (Atom!), Craig Barrett, Renée James, Deborah Conrad, Kathi Rawnsley, Keith Packard, Mike DeCesare...

All in the last 2 year. All senior execs and most of them have been with Intel for over 20 years.

Are they leaving a sinking ship?

Intel went to Israel to get developers, and succeeded, but they can't make 'em stay like they used to.

That's not a company that's doing well. Of course, like MS, they have a pile of cash, but their recent acquisitions look a bit stale. Intel TV, McAfee... I mean, who would want to buy that old dragon? Of course, they've bought Avago and Altera and others that probably are good buys too. But Intel never made mistakes like that in the past. Costly mistakes with no future. And that's been going on for a while. Look at what Business Insider wrote in 2010:

Quote:
Intel Is Probably The Worst Aquirer In Tech History
http://www.businessinsider.com/intel...10-9?op=1&IR=T
Old 06-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #237
cyrano

Quote:
If you Bingoogle "Surface Phone" you can see the rumour/marketing mill in action. Maybe read this too....

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...obile-strategy

I'll be very disappointed if it's ARM, there are conflicting reports/rumours about that.
Maybe you should read the announcement:

Quote:
Microsoft has announced that it is restructuring its smartphone business, laying off 1,850 employees associated with its hardware division. The move will impact 1,350 jobs at Microsoft's Finland unit, and an additional 500 jobs globally. Microsoft will undertake an impairment and restructuring charge of $950 million, of which $200 million is earmarked for severance payments. The vendor underwent a restructuring process last year, where it announced a $7.6 billion write-down of the company's acquisition of Nokia's Devices and Services division, laying off 7,800 employees from its phone unit.
http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...-cut-1850-jobs

Doesn't sound like they have plans to do anything in the smartphone market, does it?

And their tablet products aren't doing to well either, I believe...

And what Sata Nadella is saying:

Quote:
We are focusing our phone efforts where we have differentiation — with enterprises that value security, manageability and our Continuum capability, and consumers who value the same. We will continue to innovate across devices and on our cloud services across all mobile platforms.
Is just another way of saying "We need the cloud! That's the only thing that is doing well!", but in company newspeak.

Can you interpret that as "We're making a new phone"? They've just sold the still powerful Nokia brand to a competitor. Doesn't seem very intelligent if you have plans of your own.

Last edited by cyrano; 06-12-2016 at 07:43 PM.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #238
snooks
Banned

It seems as though you are reading too much into them selling a phone business. I don't know the details of the sale, but there could be sweet licensing arrangements for Windows as well as the IP MS skimmed from Nokia involved. Having a company keen to target the low to mid-range with the Nokia brand (making licensing fees) whilst Microsoft target the high end with their own brand is pretty smart.

Why that's a smart move now is that Apple would never release an iPhone 7SL that sells for £50 that looks almost exactly the same as the thing they want to get hundreds for, yet that is exactly what Microsoft did with Nokia. That was a big brand devaluing move, so a new brand for high-end £££ is a necessity imo. Phones being, at least in part, a new watch/sparkly accessory after all.

Time will tell, but I think you are confusing death with something that just smells funny.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:09 AM   #239
cyrano

Quote:
It seems as though you are reading too much into them selling a phone business.
Possible. I sometimes overreact. And it's just an opinion, of course.

Quote:
I don't know the details of the sale, but there could be sweet licensing arrangements for Windows as well as the IP MS skimmed from Nokia involved. Having a company keen to target the low to mid-range with the Nokia brand (making licensing fees) whilst Microsoft target the high end with their own brand is pretty smart.
It seems no company is keen on a Windows 10 phone. The only one out there is from Alcatel and it failed badly already. I also doubt that they are willing to pay for the privilege.

Between september and december 2015, Win10 phones have been announced from HP, Asus, VAIO and a couple of others. Only the Alcatel has surfaced 'till now. Between the announcement and the availability in the shops, there's usually about six months. If it's much longer, your marketing efforts turn against you. That's at least, strange. Problems with the OS? I haven't heard about them.

Oh, and BTW, none of these phones run Atom processors. I believe they are too expensive, especially when compared to SnapDragons.

Quote:
Why that's a smart move now is that Apple would never release an iPhone 7SL that sells for £50 that looks almost exactly the same as the thing they want to get hundreds for, yet that is exactly what Microsoft did with Nokia. That was a big brand devaluing move, so a new brand for high-end £££ is a necessity imo. Phones being, at least in part, a new watch/sparkly accessory after all.
Nokia's problem was that they were number one in sales, but in the low-end. No margin there. In the smartphone market, they weren't doing so good. MS didn't change that. They knew, but reckoned they could fix it. Or, they just didn't care, as they only wanted Nokia's ip?

Microsoft's problem at that time was that they weren't even present in the market. And their strategy was according to that problem. The one thing they neglected, was Windows' universal bad reputation for reliability. And that won't go away, no matter what they do.

It is not something I've conjured up, as, really, I couldn't care less. And what they released wasn't bad at all. It was something I heard from every marketing guy in the phone distribution channel. The public simply doesn't want them...

The only thing they can do, is a complete rebadging. Drop "Windows", call it "Continuum", or something that hasn't got Windows as a connotation. And that seems almost impossible because MS is so big that even the most remote person in the world knows the name.

The same is happening to Apple. Already a lot of people are anti-iphone. And there isn't a damned thing Apple can do about it. It's natural. Once you get so big the others stand no chance, people will react. We all love the underdog when the other side is a 1.000 pound gorilla.

Quote:
Time will tell, but I think you are confusing death with something that just smells funny.
I always liked Frank and that quote is immortal, I think. We'll see. It's no skin of my back, as I don't really need a smartphone. I'm just an old guy with a standard GSM. Battery lasts a week. Reception is far, far better than any smartphone out there. And I don't need to replace it every year. I'm already used to the question "can I use your phone? My iphone has no reception here"...
Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #240
karbomusic

Nothing to add to you guy's conversation other than this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Continuum

I personally think phones aren't ever going to replace desktops unless it is via something like ^that; I think we are hitting or approaching the saturation point for hand-held computers. There will probably be a reversal of some kind in the coming years the same why phones kept getting smaller and smaller until that rebounded and they began getting bigger and bigger again. I noticed this with my tablets et al. I rarely use them unless I don't have a real computer nearby.