Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Melbu21
Human being with feelings

Default Why do people doubt Reaper?

I was just speaking to a really nice tech support person from an unnamed company, and they essentially told me my problem was due to me not using a "professional" DAW.

Reaper is probably the single best piece of software I own. I think we could all agree that Reaper is fantastic. Most of us probably use it on a professional level daily.

So why do so many people doubt it? My only guess is ignorance--they just don't know enough about it and haven't used it. Which is fine by me--their loss .

Anyways, Reaper rocks and I'm glad to use it =). Any other theories as to why people are so skeptical about it?

UPDATE:

After much trial and error, I convinced PreSonus tech support that Reaper was not at fault. I was able to prove that Notion has a bug: it exports midi data slightly out of sync. This means that when imported into ANY daw, the midi notes do not line up with the beats. It is hard to notice in some DAW's, but easier in others.

I submitted a bug report and they admitted that there is indeed something off with Notion and would forward it to the development team. I'm just surprised no one noticed this before me...it's been going on since Notion 4 at least, and I just upgraded to 5. So if you're thinking of using Notion to export midi data into Reaper (or any DAW), I'd definitely watch out until they patch it.

I guess Reaper is "pro" after all . Don't know if I can say the same for Notion .

Last edited by Melbu21; 01-30-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Melbu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
martifingers

The BBC disagree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introduci...rdingsoftware/

Otherwise it's probably to do with the low cost and innovative marketing model that Cuckos have. And ignorance mostly...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Fergler

Well, I have to be honest in that I have never used a DAW with as many bugs as Reaper. But I also have never used a DAW with as many amazing features, not to mention stability and speed.

I would say the bugs are the #1 reason why Reaper would be considered unprofessional. For a program to avoid this, all included features must work exactly as intended and similar features must be consistently utilized in terms of default shortcuts or interaction methods with the mouse. Some of the bugs in Reaper are just too large to be ignored and can entirely break the feature. An example is the parameter modulation bug in my signature, which ruins my workflow for making changes to track templates as I need to remake the parameter modulation when I remove or move plugins around.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
L_Grizzle

Low cost, no marketing/visibility, basic/non-flashy UI.
L_Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Giano
Banned

Maybe it´s also the gui of reaper fx and js fx plugins.
Although a daw should please the ears first and foremost,
some want their eyes to be pleased first !

But no problem for me, I use Reaper and JS plugins !

And the look (design) of REaper´s Website, especially the colors look as if they have been chosen for
people in old folks´ homes.
But I love it, I hope they will not change that

A lot of websites have changed their look, although they were great before and now
they are just tasteless and confusing
e.g. myspace, indabamusic, native instruments

Last edited by Giano; 01-24-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
ReaperMadness

Quote:
...So why do so many people doubt it?
Dem peeples ain't got no sense of adventcha'.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
whiteaxxxe
Banned

people are idiots and people are blahblahing what they have heard from someone who has heard from someone who knows someone who is the cousin of a "pro" ...

so what do you expect? my answer to such kind of people is: shut the fuck up! you are stupid!

yep, thats rude. but at least I didnt hit them ... so I am considering me as being very nice to stupid people ... I usually dont make that many friends that way.

(sorry, I am a bit pissed, because we have here in Germany actual a massive problem with stupid people trying to organise the stupidity in our country ... I think I go and hit some of them ... its dark outside ... so ... no, I never would do that. )
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
thequietroom

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=154052

Its because of CSA
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
mete0r

When I was choosing a daw to use, I doubted reaper because I never heard* of anyone in EDM using it. It's not that it gets magically better if many people use it (even though that comes with its set of advantages), but "surely the pros know more about production than me, so if they no one is using X software or Y technique, maybe there is a reason?".

Honestly, the only reason I choose reaper was that everything I tried had some kind of problem. X kept crashing, Y couldn't bounce in less that 30 seconds of clicks, Z didn't have flexible enough routing.

*Doesn't mean there aren't
**That was my impression before checking out the forums a bit
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbu21 View Post
I was just speaking to a really nice tech support person from an unnamed company, and they essentially told me my problem was due to me not using a "professional" DAW.

So why do so many people doubt it? Any other theories as to why people are so skeptical about it?
The explanation is simple and we see it here and everywhere on a daily basis: people trash ProTools, Logic, Samplitude, Sonar, Studio One, etc.

It was Reaper's turn to be bashed...lol...I wouldn't worry about it.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
MikComposer

I'm having hard times with reaper interface. I'm finding it to be not very "forgiving", which is other way to say that is clunky. I used to design interfaces for websites, so I know a lot about good ux. It really drags down the whole experience. Another thing is that whole program is very convoluted with many contradicting and again, not user friendly, design decisions and logic. Here's hoping R5 will fix all of that, and bring good workflow. Potential is there.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #12
Coachz

This. Non intuitive interface for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
I'm having hard times with reaper interface. I'm finding it to be not very "forgiving", which is other way to say that is clunky. I used to design interfaces for websites, so I know a lot about good ux. It really drags down the whole experience. Another thing is that whole program is very convoluted with many contradicting and again, not user friendly, design decisions and logic. Here's hoping R5 will fix all of that, and bring good workflow. Potential is there.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #13
Marcel K-O

I owned and used pretty much every DAW. I love Reaper and I'm proud to use it. I tell everyone I come in contact with to use it too. They have never heard of it. But once they start using it they say they love it too. It's just so easy to use.
Marcel K-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:59 AM   #14
vocalnick

La la la

Last edited by vocalnick; 01-25-2015 at 04:09 AM.
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 AM   #15
edkilp

You won't divulge the name of said series?
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #16
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post

yes, and? if its Reapers turn so be it ... there are rules!
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #17
vocalnick

La la la

Last edited by vocalnick; 01-25-2015 at 04:09 AM.
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:33 AM   #18
ivansc

Rule 1 of tech support is: "If you don't know the answer, try and blame the problem on someone elses' product"

In the scheme of things, there isn't much you can do about attitudes like that, is there?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 AM   #19
Melbu21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalnick View Post
I'd be interested in hearing the name of that company.

It was Presonus. Specifically regarding Notion and Studio One. (Mods, if I'm not allowed to post that, please edit my post as I'm quite new here =D)
Melbu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #20
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Well, I have to be honest in that I have never used a DAW with as many bugs as Reaper. But I also have never used a DAW with as many amazing features, not to mention stability and speed.

I would say the bugs are the #1 reason why Reaper would be considered unprofessional. For a program to avoid this, all included features must work exactly as intended and similar features must be consistently utilized in terms of default shortcuts or interaction methods with the mouse. Some of the bugs in Reaper are just too large to be ignored and can entirely break the feature. An example is the parameter modulation bug in my signature, which ruins my workflow for making changes to track templates as I need to remake the parameter modulation when I remove or move plugins around.
Logic has been full of bugs since version 8. I'd bet Reaper has fewer feature busting bugs.

Honestly, I think people look down on Reaper because of the price. Many still equate financial butt hurt with "professional" software.

But in this case I'm with Ivan: tech support love to blame anything but their employers.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #21
The Byre

In economics it is called 'The Snob Effect' and is an a perceived increase in value of an item with an increase in price. The most notable example I can think of, is when Gibson increased the price of their guitars and this lead to an increase in sales.

Avid has invested heavily in marketing and also in placing their products with key people in the audio and video industries. Part of the problems that Avid were having in last few years was the fact that they sold their largest turnkey broadcast installations at a loss, but they felt that they had to get their products into the major broadcasters to survive and maintain that quality image.

Logic and other DAWs suffered having a poor image for a long time in much the same way that Reaper is still suffering today. As now you are just as likely (perhaps even more likely!) to hear a hit made in Logic as in PT, that perceived low value is just no longer valid, despite the fact that it is even cheaper than Reaper for a professional user.

The future development of Reaper will be interesting, as it has become the fourth most used DAW, just behind PT in 3rd place, with CuBase and Logic equal first. The difference is that Reaper has never had any marketing. None! Not a sausage! Despite that, it is used today by the BBC, countless artists and a great number of A-for-V people.

With the release of R5, I can imagine the new video tools and score editor will bring a major push in Reaper's fortunes, especially in the direction of A-for-V.

In a World in which most music is consumed for either nothing or almost nothing, charging folk $10,000-plus for a viable DAW, when you can buy a 16-track AD for $300 and a 24-track ADDA for under $800 and Reaper costs either $60 or $240 and Logic costs $200, the snob effect that Avid pushes for PT is getting harder and harder to maintain.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #22
Judders

I think Logic manages to circumvent the snob effect. Because such a huge company, already associated with "premium" products is behind it, people presume Apple makes a loss on "pro" software, rather than think of it as "cheap".
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #23
OPI

The price throws people off. The name is Reaper. 0% snake oil.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #24
micron

it's because of the Compulsive buying disorder, nothing outside the consumerist model will be accepted by people used to pay for 16 bit to 24 bit update, or for v6 to v7 etc.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #25
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
This. Non intuitive interface for beginners.
Definitely true, although I'm personally not a beginner. I work with reaper 4 years now. I bought reaper because it was only daw I could afford at a time, and applying sampler and midi was fairly straight forward. But the program is very problematic. Reaper feels like an Alpha version of a program with some good ideas but design. Operating UI requires surgical precision. Couple of pixel bigger active areas for ui elements would make big difference too. And it is very frustrating to constantly worry if something will work or not as there is way to many different combinations. Requires way to much attention from a user that could go towards making music instead.

I see some people make it political, and bash prices of other software and other companies. But that's not making reaper better. It makes it worst if that's main argument again other software. It's childish. Because those people should look at what's about that other software that people are willing to spend $1k for, that reaper doesn't have, and help bring those features to reaper. I for one never buy Behringer products, because I do believe that I get what I pay for.

Last edited by MikComposer; 01-24-2015 at 10:28 AM.
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #26
hermitcrab

I bought and use Reaper out of necessity on mac by virtue of the fact that i had to change to mavericks os in order to get logic pro x. The mavericks thing seems to be a problem for many people on older systems.

I am very grateful reaper exists otherwise i would have had to fork out for a new computer ( pc or mac ) as all the pro DAW's for sale only work with up to date OS's.

However, i personally think Reaper is the right price for a system that does not include important time consuming and expensive things like IR's. It does not have tape emulation either or fully working hardware inserts but most importantly i agree wholeheartedly that it is not set up right at all - whether beginner or pro. There are too many things that need to be done in order to get it working like the other DAW i used to use so whilst the other DAW i have used is not intuitive either, i feel reaper could be really improved in this regard.

Its not a bad DAW and i am grateful for Reaper but i would switch in a heartbeat to a more fully stocked DAW if i could as it is often debatable whether buying expensive third party plugins are noticeably better than well designed DAW inclusive plugins nowadays. I have had to buy some plugins that i would otherwise not have needed too had reaper included things available in the bigger brands of DAW so i have already spent more than what logic pro x costs and will likely need to buy more plugins.

Cheers

Last edited by hermitcrab; 01-24-2015 at 08:04 AM.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Why do people doubt Reaper?
Ignorance.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #28
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
The explanation is simple and we see it here and everywhere on a daily basis: people trash ProTools, Logic, Samplitude, Sonar, Studio One, etc.

Exactly. The same reason people here act like nobody can make music with PT or Cubase, ignorance... and tribalism and immaturity.

Read the forum where people are calling the developers "DAW Gods" for adding a feature that has existed in other products already.

P.S. Love the people in the Reaper forum but of all the DAW forums I've ever participated in, this is the only one with these kinds of threads, where people start threads talking about things like this. There's apparently still a certain level of 'inadequacy' associated with it for some users, the need to prove it to be worthy.

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-24-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #29
chip mcdonald

My feeling is that there is an.. undertone, that Reaper is actually a threat that is better left unmentioned in the status-quo software world.

I would suggest that because Cockos spends zero money on advertising, there are "gatekeepers" in the MI world that view Reaper as a spoiler. Why Waves completely shuns Reaper is a curious thing, because there is no logical-software based reason to do so - they may not like the Jesus references, I don't know.

But in my town now Reaper is probably the dominant DAW, then maybe Ableton and then PT. Now whether The Big Shot Label Guys "must" use PT or not doesn't matter if you are a plug-in software house. You shouldn't care if you're selling your VST to the guy in his bedroom or Jack Joseph Puig. So it's curious that the beyond ambivalence to Reaper is still seemingly so prevalent, except from the standpoint that Cockos is not kowtowing to the gatekeepers...
Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #30
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post

With the release of R5, I can imagine the new video tools and score editor will bring a major push in Reaper's fortunes, especially in the direction of A-for-V.
Did I miss something? Are these actually on the cards for Version 5?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #31
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
My feeling is that there is an.. undertone, that Reaper is actually a threat that is better left unmentioned in the status-quo software world.
I think those oft-expressed feelings are mostly imaginary. The larger corporations obviously have the resources and budget and staff to continue to do things that Reaper won't be doing any time soon, so I think any perceptions of them being "afraid" of Reaper are just part of the user pathos. They are all certainly aware of it, and the rest of the products out there.

Enjoy the great software. The other stuff is kinda silly imo.

Look at Logic X, which costs less than Reaper's pro license. Do you really think Apple (the wealthiest media company on the planet) is afraid of or threatened by Reaper & Cockos?

Let's get a grip.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #32
karbomusic

Every time I speak to someone and the word Reaper comes up I get the deer in headlights look or they truly don't understand it is a real and useable DAW and are just quoting what they heard. Again, ignorance. There may be plenty of good reasons above as to why the ignorance exists but it still comes down to not knowing.

Of those whom I did take the time to go "here I'll show you", they stopped saying that because they now know. Though I don't go to MI stores much these days, when I do, I occasionally wear my Reaper T-Shirt simply because many of them know me from my years in the scene and they always say "...but, but I thought..."
Old 01-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #33
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
we have here in Germany actual a massive problem with stupid people
It seems to be spreading!

Reaper is difficult to use and should be more like other DAWs???!!!

WTF are these people on!

Back in 49BC, our big (and bloody expensive!) PT rig arrived. It took all day to install and get the thing to work. Cards had to be put into the Mac, the Mac had to know where to look for hardware, authorisation codes ahd to be entered.

Then - oh silly me - I tried to import a WAV file. Drag-n-drop? Nah, no chance!

"First, you must create a media pool!"

"Why? Why can't I just drag the file onto the time-line?"

So I dutifully created a media pool and put my files into it, but of course they would not go into the time-line, as they were 44.1 and the project was 48kHz. Until I could get going with some basic editing, several days went past.

The same rigmarole applied to our Soundscape rig. Do they send you a working system? No. Do they give you a decent handbook that ordinary people can understand? No - you get nearly one thousand pages of what can at best be described as a vague flow of consciousness! Is the software easy to install? No, you have to muck about with pointless authorisation codes, separate downloads for different plugs and passwords, just to access something you have paid for already.

But worst of all, do any of these systems fit onto a laptop? No, even today, only the baby versions with limited track counts and that with a dongle! I am running a 96-track project on a $500 laptop in Reaper.

If anybody tells me that they find Reaper difficult, then I would have to doubt their ability to walk in a straight line, whilst chewing gum. It has to be the easiest DAW to work with that I have every tried. And because you can customise any command to a single letter, it is head-and-shoulders, the fastest!

When I tried it, it installed in seconds and opened immediately. I pulled a file to the time-line and read the 'Getting Started' three-page primer. S was split, mouse + Alt was stretch and all edit commands were instantly available by clicking on a track and right-clicking the mouse. After ONE HOUR of mucking about with bits of audio files, I knew all I needed to know and was editing a very important project.

You can accuse Reaper of many things, but being in any way difficult to use really is not one of them!
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #34
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Every time I speak to someone and the word Reaper comes up I get the deer in headlights look or they truly don't understand it is a real and useable DAW and are just quoting what they heard. Again, ignorance. There may be plenty of good reasons above as to why the ignorance exists but it still comes down to not knowing.

Of those whom I did take the time to go "here I'll show you", they stopped saying that because they now know. Though I don't go to MI stores much these days, when I do, I occasionally wear my Reaper T-Shirt simply because many of them know me from my years in the scene and they always say "...but, but I thought..."
Right. It should also be mentioned that Cockos reluctance to advertise directly contributes to the ignorance about it's product.

People here talk like they personally knew what PT or Nuendo or Samp was capable of before they ever used or saw anyone else use PT. Like they were born knowing that.

We don't live in Disneyland where a guy puts a great product on the Web and the universe suddenly discovers it. Most companies advertise so people - do - know about it. If Cockos - not users, but the company - had any concern about that they'd put up a NAMM booth where more people could actually - see it working - in the context of the others.

They obviously have no such concern, it's users worrying about all that nonsense.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
WTF are these people on!
Honing skills is passé an learning is for fools.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #36
nightscope

Oh ye of little faith. Have no doubt.

The Reaper is coming.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #37
Sunaj

Could be a personal experience issue.

Example, I have an apogee duet. downloaded reaper to my mac/hackintosh computer and the stuttering /latency/ intermittent audio scrambling makes this an unusable daw for that interface for personal and professional usage.

Installed My Logic Pro X and the issue is virtually non existent.
Sunaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #38
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbu21 View Post

Any other theories as to why people are so skeptical about it?
Could it be because Cockos does not give a damn if Waves list Reaper as supported daw?

It's a bit hard to come around the major plugin vendor when dealing with this.

And then it does not help when Ollie dismiss the idea of making Reaper top daw(in a bunch of threads like this one):
- you don't understand the idea behind Reaper

or something to that meaning.

There is no ambition with Reaper to make it top daw replacing PT or others. The attitude is unprofessional - so the product is considered unprofessional.

I dropped Reaper two years ago because of this. Tried to get back in the saddle - but it's like any relationship, once you exceed the threshold and part ways - getting back together is never quite the same. Tried getting more into themes and stuff - but the old reasons for leaving just keep popping up.

I actually have more hope for Mixcraft being my main daw. And all my major Waves plugins work(rare stuff with Tune I can do in another daw with just a single track). And I get taken by such things as people at Acoustica want something - anything with Cockos is just rejected, endless FR's never looked at, bugs reported years back never fixed etc. Never ending trials means you pay for big part freeriders as well - does not seem professional to me.

I could get by with portastudios, not quite top notch mixes with just chorus/reverb in there - but still. And I certainly get everything done in Mixcraft - some things I can wait for that makes it even easier to finalize a project. I don't run a studio taking on clients or anything - and not on a deadline. Just writing songs making demos - hopefully closer to professional level by each song. And I'm dead serious about what I do and intend to spend the rest of my life doing. I use the same thinking as during the years having my own software business.

So summing up my view of "professional":
a) vendor supports all major plugins vendors plugins - and when any trouble is reported they rush to get it fixed
b) vendor showing all professional attitude towards userbase and offer support programs - I mean people on a deadline and time is money and food on the table.

If my income relied on daw work - I would certainly not accept a) or b) failing.

But this is not the business idea of Reaper, according to Ollie. We don't get it....

Cockos devs are probably second to none - but without the professional attitude - they are probably not the choice of those making a living from work in daws. Those that are using Reaper probably are just very pissed at Avid or Apple(yes, I know exceptions to the rule applies).
Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #39
bluzkat

Yeah, you still don't get it.

Justin started Reaper for his own personal use, as it grew he decided to share. Reaper wasn't started as a commercial venture to conquer the DAW world. It came into being to fill in some holes in the previous software Justin was using.

Later.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #40
Lawrence

Quote:
Reaper wasn't started as a commercial venture to conquer the DAW world.
You will be drawn and quartered for saying such a thing.

We... must... rule... the... world!