Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
liteon
Human being with feelings

Default [issue tracker] ideas for improvement !

making threads on user forums isn't exactly my thing, but on the mind of trying to help the reaper project in the tea break ...

---------------------
--- the problem:
---------------------

[ * ] currently people simply do not read the issue tracker description and in general _do not_ understand what the issue tracker should be!

[ * ] at least 1/3 of the bug reports of the are "misdirected" and "not a reaper bug" and some of which are even posted by experienced users, which isn't exactly low s/n ratio.

[ * ] similar applies to feature requests. there are future request that do not make much sense as implementations.

[ * ] people assume that posting in the issue tracker will get the attention of the developers faster, which shouldn't be the case.

[ * ] issues are not well filtered trough the forum.

[ * ] instead of helping with the reaper development you could be wasting the developer's time and slowing the reaper development process.

--------------------------
--- current solutions:

the current tracker description is ok, but not strict enough, i could think:
"this is MY issue, i have found it, its very important to ME and i shall post it in the issue tracker now to get the developer attention!"

i see darkstar and steindork have added a thread here.
"Feature Requests and FR Issue Tracker"
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883
i would read it but someone may consider its are just some "too long did not read" thoughts.

the thread also focuses on the general use of the issue tracker, but why is it in the FR forum?

--- possible solutions:

ideally only moderators should post issues but thats way too involved and not very democratic is it ? i think a lot can be improved by simply changing the issue tracker description.

all the necessary information should be present in the issue tracker description. with a list which is straight to the point with no deviations.

- put big bold text "please, read before posting"
- force users to post an issue in the tracker only if they have enough replies in a previously created thread in the thread forums "nitpicks", "bugs", "fr".
- more points to consider "before posing make sure that: " 1... 2... 3... 4... 5...
- make the text in the description more official
- link to a single well formed thread which explains the issue tracker in more detail.

---
post your ideas for improvement of the issue tracker here.

disclaimer: reading this post may have been a waste of your time.

---
liteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Dstruct

Current tracker is perfectly fine in my opinion. I guess in some days we even have more closed issues than open feature requests + bugs. And that's pretty impressive! Big ups to the devs!
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
NAS

Agreed feature tracker is a mess and i no longer post in there at all
I much prefer to post in FRs if i have an idea and let (Hopefully) DS or Stein(Fanboy)dork list it in the tracker
Truth is the last few FRs i have posted have been implemented before ever reaching the tracker so that should prove to some people that all these tracker requests are simply forum bloat and nothing else

Post it in the FR section first and see how it goes

NAS