Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
CA$H FLOW
Human being with feelings

Default Error initializing ASIO drivers- SOO Annoying!

So I was using Reaper for about a week, everything was going smoothly then the next time I tried to use it I got this error message that said "Error Initializing ASIO driver". I'm using an Avid M-Audio Fast Track C600 usb2 interface. I uninstalled the drivers and checked to make sure I have the newest version. Reinstalled them and Reaper worked fine again until tonight when I started getting the same message.
What I've noticed both times is that the device seems to be working, and windows recognizes it. Reaper also recognizes it but in Reaper's ASIO device preferences, there is nothing in the Input 1, Input 2, Output 1, Output 2 drop down tabs; Where normally I could select the channels of the Fast Track interface.
I don't have time tonight to try and reinstall the drivers, and frankly I don't want to make a habit out of that either.
What the hell is going on here ?
CA$H FLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
hopi

something is eating your drivers
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Bod

I've got a Fasttrack Ultra and have the same problem. I've never really been bothered to track it down, as it's fine as long as I don't switch to playing audio in any other app usually, but it's exactly what Hopi said.

If you've got an onboard soundcard, try switching to that as your default windows audio device and leave the Fasttrack for Reaper only.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
CA$H FLOW

Thanks for the replies guys. So this morning I reinstalled the drivers and voila... everything worked again. How do I go about making the Fast Track only run with Reaper and leave the onboard sound card as Windows' default player ?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
msore

Same problem with a new Presonus audiobox 44vsl. Kept getting bumped, got worse. I could hear audio through the pre-amp if it was from mic or gtr inputs, but I couldn't hear Reaper output through it. And this was whether or not the Reaper/Audio Preferences seemed correctly set.

Finally today I called Pesonus support. Still working on it.

I noticed on the Presonus Forum, there was lots of bitching from users with vaguely similar problems ("where did my sound go?").

Of course the suggestions include re-installing some stuff (current 44vsl drivers), and UNINSTALLING other stuff (like ASIO4all). Each software company blames the OTHER software for messing stuff up.

Meanwhile Windows and Browswers both can jump in and screw with Audio that you THINK is only going through Reaper.

What a system. Oh wait, it's programming!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
hopi

you should not have to do that... but you MUST in the reaper prefs set the driver ASIO to 'release asio when in background' or whatever the exact words are... so when reaper is not using it it turns lose of it... also if you can find all the installed driver files try setting their properties to 'read only'...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
CA$H FLOW

Alright. Now where do you think I might find the driver files so I can change them to Read Only ?