Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Myagooshki
Human being with feelings

Default Steven Slate Drum Question!

So I'm trying to edit the settings on my Steven Slate drum board. Here's the problem. Everytime I try to reset the song using the rewind button down at the bottom left, the settings revert to what they were before I edited them. How do I turn that off?
Myagooshki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:47 AM   #2
stratman

Are you driving the drums from a midi item in Reaper?

If so, it's possible the midi item has a control message at the start that's doing this.

If this is the case, double click on the midi item, then select View > Mode: event list.

Look for any control messages that might be resetting things. You may have to delete that particular message.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Myagooshki

Default RE: Control message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Are you driving the drums from a midi item in Reaper?

If so, it's possible the midi item has a control message at the start that's doing this.

If this is the case, double click on the midi item, then select View > Mode: event list.

Look for any control messages that might be resetting things. You may have to delete that particular message.
What exactly is a control message? I'm in the View > Mode:event list thing upon the MIDI map. Index, position, length, channel, type... these and more are the names of the columns. What should I be looking for?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
stratman

I haven't had this problem with Steven Slate Drums (SSD), but I have had it with other VSTi instruments in the past, so this is a bit of a guess.

If you just want the Midi Item to drive the drum kit pieces and not control other stuff, such as the SSD mixer, then all you should really need in the 'Type' column are things listed as 'Note'. Plus there might also be a Track Name listed at the top, which is OK.

If you've got other stuff listed in the 'Type' column, such as CC or PC etc, then this might be causing the apparent reset effect. The words in the 'Parameter' column might give a clue into which messages are doing this.

After making sure you've got a back up, you could try left clicking on the possibly unwanted messages then right clicking and selecting Delete. You can select multiple adjacent messages by holding 'Shift' or multiple non-adjacent messages by holding the Ctrl key.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Myagooshki

Default PC stuff

Alright, it looks like we're getting on the right page here. I have these current data entries in the Type column as pictured. PC for bright acoustic piano (yes, bright acoustic piano on a drumset apparently) and then the other stuff afterwards. I deleted the entries that weren't "note" besides the key signature, and I figure that'll be fine to leave plus it'll probably think that a high hat of "G#" should be a tom of "A" if I were to do that, probably, I'm guessing. But yeah I deleted those things, and I'm assuming that's what I was supposed to do? The drums don't reset ever since I've done this but is there anything else I need to do?
Attached Images
File Type: png PC stuff.png (18.9 KB, 230 views)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #6
stratman

I think things should be fine if the correct drums are being triggered.

I'm guessing you're possibly using a General Midi (GM) file to drive the drums that you've downloaded from somewhere. This is where I've encountered this type of problem in the past with other VSTi instruments and I've had to delete some of the PC or CC messages to stop the reset effect.

One thing to be aware of is that, for some notes, the GM file mappings (i.e. which note corresponds to which drum) won't be exactly the same as the Steven Slate Drums (SSD) mappings. However, I've just done a quick comparison of the GM and SSD mappings and the main sounds (e.g. Kick, Snare, Hihats and Toms etc) seem to be set up very similarly, so you'll probably get away with it.

Pete