Old 11-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
semikid
Human being with feelings

Default Change Reaper's Gray Background Color?

I know you can change many colors within Reaper, but I never see any changes to Reapers Gray background color. (The Arrangement view or whatever you want to call it, also the fx window, etc., the main Reaper gray color you see everywhere.)

Even if I have to edit some file or anything, I would love to change the color, most people I show Reaper to get so turned off by it, mainly because of it's first looks. And everyone mostly likes Logic because "it's pretty" haha. I know this doesn't matter, but also for myself, I'm tired of the dead gray color.

I'm on MAC btw.

Having trouble with the text file to "tweak" the color of a theme I like.

Last edited by semikid; 11-19-2016 at 10:36 PM.
semikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
semikid

figured it out. all done in reaper. took me forever to find what it was called though. "track lane color" i believe is what it was, i was looking under main window, main arrangement, etc.
semikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Pet

A helpful workaround is to open the "Theme development/tweaker"-window and the "Theme element finder"-window side by side.
(Search in actions window for "dev" or "theme")

If you then select a color in the theme finder it is highlighted in pink in REAPER. If you then hover your mouse in the tweaker window and scroll to activate it (I'm on windows) the color is highlighted too in pink. Click on that pink bit and choose a color.

Untick "Highlight selected colors/images" in the element finder to see the change.
You can play around with the colors, as long as you don't save the theme, just close both windows, reload the theme and you're back to normal.

Just to tell...

Peter

Last edited by Pet; 02-17-2017 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by semikid View Post
figured it out. all done in reaper. took me forever to find what it was called though. "track lane color" i believe is what it was, i was looking under main window, main arrangement, etc.
Your search for "main" makes sense to me;
Cause if there are no tracks at all in Main, you should indeed think the element is called "main background" or something like that.

And even IF there are tracks in Main, the area beneath those tracks is still to be considered as "main background" imho.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
electricthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
A helpful workaround is to open the "Theme development/tweaker"-window and the "Theme element finder"-window side by side.
(Search in actions window for "dev")

If you then select a color in the theme finder it is highlighted in pink in REAPER. If you then hover your mouse in the tweaker window and scroll to activate it (I'm on windows) the color is highlighted too in pink. Click on that pink bit and choose a color.

Untick "Highlight selected colors/images" in the element finder to see the change.
You can play around with the colors, as long as you don't save the theme, just close both windows, reload the theme and you're back to normal.

Just to tell...

Peter
Will try this nice tip, thanks
electricthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Oooh nice, I didn't know that...
Old 11-22-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
Pet

@White Tie: It's REAPER...expect the unexpected.

Last edited by Pet; 11-24-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Wolf.FOH

Quote:
(Search in actions window for "dev")

Just to tell...

Peter
This doesn't work anymore. They're really screwed up the theme tweaker. Changing the send level color does nothing anymore, too.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf.FOH View Post
This doesn't work anymore. They're really screwed up the theme tweaker. Changing the send level color does nothing anymore, too.
The element finder and theme tweaker still work as well as they ever did, they're just messy and have a lot of incorrect names for images. It's also hard to tell, between the two windows, if a color setting in the tweaker is being overridden by an image or not.

For instance, the send level is controlled by an image in the theme now - mcp_sendlist_meter.png.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
Denys

Yeah, a small search engine for theme elements and a way to change a color or a font via a simple right clic on it would be so convenient!
Denys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Wolf.FOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The element finder and theme tweaker still work as well as they ever did, they're just messy and have a lot of incorrect names for images. It's also hard to tell, between the two windows, if a color setting in the tweaker is being overridden by an image or not.

For instance, the send level is controlled by an image in the theme now - mcp_sendlist_meter.png.
Yeah, I guess it does still work... It's just more confusing and more of a PITA than it used to be. I had to search the forums just to find out where they hid the theme tweaker. lol
Old 05-13-2017, 02:36 AM   #12
vanhaze

Bringing up this old thread again, mainly cause i assumed OP wanted to change the background color in Arrange View, and that's what i like to do also.

You know, i mean the color of the big Track area in Arrange, when the Arrange is completely empty, so no Tracks at all.

I unzipped my current Theme and looked in the folder that contains all the .png files.
Did a search in that folder for "background", "arrange", "main" ,etc , but no search result ..

Warm Regards.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #13
Vollgerd

Hallo,
your can change that in the Theme-editor (Themetweaker)
look for "empty xxx" (empty arrager view area) or so.

Greetings from Germany
Gerd
Vollgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #14
Pet

Hi vanhaze,
read post #3 again.
What you are looking for is the color of "Empty arrange view area".
No need to change png's or unpacking the theme for that, you can do it with the Theme development/tweaker.

HTH

EDIT: Ooops, while typing another german was quicker than me! Hi Gerd!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
Vollgerd

Hi pet,
the german Forum still sleeps (since a couple of weeks)
Vollgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
vanhaze

Quote:
Hi vanhaze,
read post #3 again.
What you are looking for is the color of "Empty arrange view area".
No need to change png's or unpacking the theme for that, you can do it with the Theme development/tweaker.

HTH

EDIT: Ooops, while typing another german was quicker than me! Hi Gerd!
That was it !
Can't imagine i totally missed that, thx !!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #17
vanhaze

This sounds like a great tip but what do you mean exactly by"the file in Reaper" ?
Which file ?
How to reach that file ?