Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
SoundGuyChris
Human being with feelings

Default My mixdowns sound very different when imported to media players

I'm lately having an issue where Reaper is outputting files that sound substantially different when imported into other media players.

For example, if I burn down a sound effect and open it in iZotope RX6, in VLC player, or in Unity (my game engine), the sound effect appears to sound dull, washed out, and very quiet. I can take that same exact file that I've rendered and re-import it into a fresh Reaper project and it sounds exactly like I expect it to, despite it being the same file.

I would normally expect minor differences in the files once they're imported into different players or programs, but the differences I'm describing are extreme and very much out of the ordinary, and I'm dumbfounded by the fact that I can re-import the file into Reaper and have it sound correct.

Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

My audio interface is an AVID HD OMNI.
SoundGuyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Ulf3000

my guess is that reaper runs on asio hq sound and your gameengine runs on the embedded onboard crap card?

check if windows soundcard effect like equalization , fake sourround or loudnesss is enabled.. set rx6 output to the same asio card .. should sound identical

Last edited by Ulf3000; 05-30-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
SoundGuyChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
my guess is that reaper runs on asio hq sound and your gameengine runs on the embedded onboard crap card?
D A M N I T.

You're right. I tested using RX and switched between a few different driver types. I neglected to think about this.

Holy crap the embedded sound card sounds like dog farts. Never realized it was THIS bad.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
DVDdoug

Quote:
I would normally expect minor differences in the files once they're imported into different players or programs, but the differences I'm describing are extreme and very much out of the ordinary...
That is unusual.

Usually the drivers don't make any audible difference (unless there are dropouts/glitches or some EQ or other "enhancement".)

The hardware usually doesn't make much difference (for playback) either... Sometimes a consumer soundcard can be a little noisy, or the clock can be far-enough off to cause a pitch shift. But frequency response & distortion are usually better than human hearing (even with a cheap soundcard). And occasionally, you can get "impedance issues" that cause changes in headphone frequency response.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
SoundGuyChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
And occasionally, you can get "impedance issues" that cause changes in headphone frequency response.
Perhaps this might be potentially related, then. I'm using an 1/8" to dual 1/4" from the back of the computer to the 3-4 inputs of the sound card (HD Native is ridiculous and won't allow Windows to play back through it)...I'll have to see about finding a new cable and hoping that helps things.

Thank you for validating me though - nothing THIS audible should be happening.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
Ulf3000

like i said , you should rightclick the little speaker icon in windows taskbar then go to playback devices and check if theres some post-effect enabled!!! turn them all off

but even then , my onboard card also sounds quite a bit muddier than my asio card.

but as the musician yourself you also made the song and know it INSIDE OUT , you worked on it for hours to get the perfect sparkle and glimmer out of it.
i guess someone who never heard the song before is going to be alright with the (muddy) sound though and not even realize.

i master my mix to around a slope between 4 and 4.5 , thats quite sparkly and should have enough "excitement" even on dull soundcards

Last edited by Ulf3000; 05-31-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
Ulf3000

ok ive found this little freeware program which ca route your windows audio directly to an hardware output through the asio driver.

that way you can listen to internet (youtube , soundcloud etc) and mp3s through your asiocard in 24 bit ...

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr...loadASIOBridge

after configuring you can then just completely disable your onboard sound and route everything from games to browser through your asio card

then the soundquality is consistant between all your references and your own productions

Last edited by Ulf3000; 06-10-2017 at 02:37 AM.