Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
brk303
Human being with feelings

Default Ideas for using tempo synced delay live

Hi,

I'm using reaper for mixing my band live. We basically use it for mixing, effects, monitor mix and recording.

We don't use click or backing tracks, we just play the gig and record it in one project.

Now I'd like to use tempo synced delay in some songs, but obviously the project has meaningless default 120 BPM.

So what I'd like is some way to detect BPM based on incoming audio as we play and then sync delay time to it somehow.

I'd don't suppose this is possible, but maybe someone has some ideas.
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
mschnell

"Live" always triggers my interest

1) Adding tempo based stuff to a recording:

Creating a tempo track to adapt the grid to the audio is an issue already discussed multiple times (including questions by myself).

There are several instructions (in this forum and some videos) and tools (such as Reaper Scripts, including some actions provided by SWS) that are supposed to help to do this.

In fact I never was able to find a workflow that seemed to be handy enough to allow me to do this with an appropriate amount of work.

I know that (which version of ? ) Melodyne is able to create and export a tempo track from the audio to a file, but my question on if/how to import this to reaper never was answered.

Happy hunting and let us know what you find.

2) If you want do detect the tempo while life playing, I suppose Reaper (itself) is not a tool that can help in any way. Maybe certain plugins (even JSFX scripts) might be able to create (e.g.) timed Midi events from a bass drum signal. But I don't know if that can be done in a reliable way.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-22-2017 at 10:55 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
brk303

Hi, thanks for your reply.

In the meanwhile I fiddled with this and managed to get exactly what I wanted. Let me explain.

I have ReaGate on the Snare track set to send MIDI note.
Then I use ReaLearn and map the MIDI note to Actions 1134: Transport: Tap Tempo.

I changed Project Settings, Timebase to Time, so that BPM change does not affect audio.

Then I add a delay plugin synced to project tempo. This turned out to be tricky as most plugins have artifacts when the tempo changes and they internally readjust with audible side effects.

After trying several delays I settled on OhmBoyz which handles tempo changes with no problems. Furthermore it seems to be smart enough to figure out to convert slow tempos to double time, so in stead of project tempo of say 38 it uses double, 76.

Having set all of the above I played various songs from last gig and was thrilled that in almost all cases it produced delays rhythmically related to actual track.

Basically it sounds exactly as I hoped, same as if you had someone tapping tempo manually whole night
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote