Old 01-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Maiar
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Takes in 1 lane?

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to record and keep multiple takes when I save off and exit the program. It just records over the previous take.

I used to use Cubase and it would automatically keep all your takes... you could delete any of them if you liked.

I've looked thru all the settings and preferences and can't seem to find what I am looking for.
Maiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
serr

Select: Options > New recording that overlaps existing media items > Creates new media items in separate lanes.

Toggle on: Options > Show overlapping media items in lanes

This is the "traditional" overdubbing setup.

Make a track to record your takes in. Let them stack up in lanes.
Make new tracks under the recording track to drop your takes into to build your arrangement as you get good parts (as opposed to starting over for every take and recording in a new track).

The default setting records a single audio item and then adds any further takes as multiple audio streams to the single item. More of a looper or MIDI thing.

There's also a preference setting that collapses the lanes when the track height is less than <value entered>.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiar View Post
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to record and keep multiple takes when I save off and exit the program. It just records over the previous take.

I used to use Cubase and it would automatically keep all your takes... you could delete any of them if you liked.

I've looked thru all the settings and preferences and can't seem to find what I am looking for.
I know your frustration,
but yes, use the suggestions above
and you'll probably be alight

You might also like to be familiar with the project setting "mix (or not) overlapping items"
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Maiar

Awesome! Amazing how something like that can drive you nuts.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
karbomusic

Reaper by default should create multiple takes in multiple lanes right out of the box (just tested with a portable install). CTRL+L toggles this between 1 lane (only showing the active take) and all lanes showing all takes. T cycles between them when collapsed. The only possible way to 'lose takes' is if you have 'tape mode' enabled which is also not by default.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Maiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Reaper by default should create multiple takes in multiple lanes right out of the box (just tested with a portable install). CTRL+L toggles this between 1 lane (only showing the active take) and all lanes showing all takes. T cycles between them when collapsed. The only possible way to 'lose takes' is if you have 'tape mode' enabled which is also not by default.
I probably changed some things in my earlier desperate attempts. I do have it creating new media items in separate lanes. However when I toggle "CTRL+L" it doesn't collapse the takes as you described. Nothing happens.

I couldn't find 'tape mode'.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
I probably changed some things in my earlier desperate attempts. I do have it creating new media items in separate lanes. However when I toggle "CTRL+L" it doesn't collapse the takes as you described. Nothing happens.

If it doesn't collapse them you may have it set to create new items in lanes, not new takes in lanes (inside a single item) but at work and can't check the names of the settings at the moment.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
serr

Quote:

'Show overlapping media items in lanes' which toggles on/off with ⇧L by default is curiously tied to the "Options > New recording that overlaps existing media items > Creates new media items in separate lanes" setting.

When you have that selected for 'traditional' overdubbing, REAPER forces 'lanes' mode.

That means if you want the single lane (others hidden) view, you must first select the 'add new take to the single existing item' mode first and then you can toggle the single lane.

There's also a preference setting that collapses the lanes into one when the track height is less than <value entered>. It sort of overrides the shift-L toggle.

I was almost going to make a custom action to toggle that...

I find that when you get into the workflow where you have your 'recording tracks' and then build your arrangement in new tracks, this doesn't come up as a problem.

The only tracks with multiple lanes will be your recording tracks. These are muted and only used as "bins" for takes to stack up in, so you really don't care. And if you have a few tracks with alternate takes in their own lanes... you obviously have them there to specifically be visible that there's an alternate take to still consider.

Last edited by serr; 02-01-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
I was almost going to make a custom action to toggle that...
It may be that the OP simply wants the default behavior of lanes and takes, no special sauce. Could be wrong but that's what the first post implies.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
Maiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If it doesn't collapse them you may have it set to create new items in lanes, not new takes in lanes (inside a single item) but at work and can't check the names of the settings at the moment.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I don't know why I am having such a hard time understanding takes vs items, etc.

But you are right, I'm only trying (at this point) to get takes to stack up on top of each other, where I can toggle thru them or collapse/uncollapse them at this point. Right now I have "Options|New recordings that overlaps existing media items|Creates new media items in separate lanes(layers).

It shows all the takes in that track but does not collapse them.

I don't see the setting for "new takes in lanes".

That sounds like my solution.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
serr

Two ways to collapse the track that results in viewing only the most recently recorded item (with the rest hidden behind it).

1. Drag the vertical height of the track down until the lanes collapse.

2. Change the recording option to 'new takes are added to existing item'. Then you can toggle 'Show overlapping media items in lanes' off. (This is locked on when in traditional overdub mode using lanes.)

#2 is a PITA because you're switching the record option back and forth.
#1 is what I do when bothered. Most of the time I simple ignore the recording tracks. They're not part of the active mix/arrangement.

Sometimes when I'm done tracking if I find I have a bunch of crossfades going on, I'll put it into 'lanes collapsed' mode (paraphrasing) for easier crossfade viewing though.

Yeah, I should probably make that custom action for that...
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Maiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Two ways to collapse the track that results in viewing only the most recently recorded item (with the rest hidden behind it).

1. Drag the vertical height of the track down until the lanes collapse.

2. Change the recording option to 'new takes are added to existing item'. Then you can toggle 'Show overlapping media items in lanes' off. (This is locked on when in traditional overdub mode using lanes.)

#2 is a PITA because you're switching the record option back and forth.
#1 is what I do when bothered. Most of the time I simple ignore the recording tracks. They're not part of the active mix/arrangement.

Sometimes when I'm done tracking if I find I have a bunch of crossfades going on, I'll put it into 'lanes collapsed' mode (paraphrasing) for easier crossfade viewing though.

Yeah, I should probably make that custom action for that...
Thanks for the added insights. I've finally gotten a handle on "takes" inside an item and separate items with their own lane. I think I'll play around with the different possibilities including imploding and exploding takes with tracks...

But I think in general your suggestion 1 makes the most sense for now. I can toggle thru the different takes and/or explode them when needed.

Things work just fine....it was a matter of me learning the concepts of takes, items, lanes, etc and how to navigate them.

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
jah242

Default "Traditional Looping" question

Hello,

While attempting learn to use Reaper for live looping and performance, I am experimenting with the options for "New Recording that overlaps media items." Unfortunately, I am frequently running into a situation where earlier takes fade away or behave in unpredictable ways with regard to volume. I have tried the following settings in different combinations, and continue to experience what seem to be unpredictable results:

>New Recording that overlaps existing media items
-Creates new media items in separate lanes
(also tried "Splits existing items and creates new takes")

>Item Settings
-Play all takes (some members of forum.cockos.com suggested that would allow monitoring all layers of a loop while recording, but I didn't find that to be the case -- is this setting related to record monitoring layers? Or only for playback?)

>Record Arm
-Monitor all track media when recording (this setting did allow for monitoring all layers of a loop, but with it I frequently get a "fade away" phenomenon where earlier layers fade away to nothing. Or, when I record a layered loop and then toggle off looping to continue recording beyond the loop end, the entire layered loop will have an extreme and sudden drop in volume.)

Most recenty, after reading this thread, I have started to experiment with:
>Project Settings
-Advanced
--Items alway mix

My Question: Is there an "official combination" of these settings that should work consistently for "traditional looping" in a tried and true fashion? I thought, based on some other threads, that I had found it with:

>New Recording that overlaps existing media items
-Creates new media items in separate lanes
>Record Arm
-Monitor all track media when recording

But, sadly, in the middle of a track after one successful layered loop, the "fade away layers" happened again.

ON A RELATED NOTE:

Is there a way to make "Play all takes" the default play mode for items without toggling it on every time? I would like to use Reaper as a live looper, among other things, and that default would be helpful...

I apologize in advance if any of these questions have been answered elsewhere, or if I am missing something obvious. I am new to Reaper and this forum.

Thank you for your help!
jah242 is offline   Reply With Quote