Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Sirko Drive
Human being with feelings

Default ReaSamplomatic 5000: ability to add tuning files (.scl/.tun)

The ReaSamplomatic 5000 is a great sampler, but it can only pitch the samples it plays in the standard western twelve-note tuning. This is enough for a lot of music, but if you're into "world music" for example, or if you're an experimentalist interested in exploring the (huge!) worlds beyond our standard tuning (search keyword for those interested: "microtonal"), there is a lot of stuff you simply can't do with it.

I addition to our twelve-tone tuning, there are many tunings that split the octave into more notes (24 for example), less notes, or don't even use the octave at all (like Wendy Carlos' alpha scale).

To enable playing such tunings, some synths have the ability to load .scl files (z3ta+, PianoTeq, ZynAddSubFX, ...) or .tun files (Omnisphere, LinPlug instruments, ...), and that's freakin awesome: the synth gets normal midi input from the DAW, but the tuning files tell the synth what frequency to assign to which note value.

Tuning files can be downloaded from the web or made with the freeware Scala ( http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/ ). At least in the .scl format there's hundreds of files available online for free (i don't know about .tun files, though).

I don't know a lot about coding, but i guess the implementation would be quite easy, since all that the sampler needs to do is assigning pitch values to note values according to the numbers in the loaded tuning file. And in the GUI, a simple "Load .scl/.tun file" button would be totally sufficient.

Oh, and since the devs will probably be reading this: Thanks for making such amazing software, i fell in love with reaper! <3
Sirko Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
JulMusic
Human being with feelings

Default I second this

bump
bump
bump

Last edited by JulMusic; 05-13-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: clarity
JulMusic is offline   Reply With Quote