Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
ncmail
Human being with feelings

Default A&H ZED R16 no sound going in.

Hi, I'm new here, new to Reaper, and new to using DAW's period. I have been working with Tascam "studio in a box" set ups for a few years and finally built a computer, purchased a Allen and Heath ZED R16 fire-wire mixer and downloaded Reaper. I'm having a few problems though. I have my mixer selected in the preferences on Reaper, and I have my mixer set in the audio options on my computer. BUT I am not getting any signal coming into Reaper from my mixer. I have tested and made sure that it is indeed linked to the computer in its "ZED" driver program. And audio does play through the mixer when I watch a video on youtube. Please help I'm lost and very frustrated at this point....Thank you!
ncmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmail View Post
Hi, I'm new here, new to Reaper, and new to using DAW's period. I have been working with Tascam "studio in a box" set ups for a few years and finally built a computer, purchased a Allen and Heath ZED R16 fire-wire mixer and downloaded Reaper. I'm having a few problems though. I have my mixer selected in the preferences on Reaper, and I have my mixer set in the audio options on my computer. BUT I am not getting any signal coming into Reaper from my mixer. I have tested and made sure that it is indeed linked to the computer in its "ZED" driver program. And audio does play through the mixer when I watch a video on youtube. Please help I'm lost and very frustrated at this point....Thank you!

Welcome!

Have you enabled the inputs at the audio device configuration ? Have you armed a track and set it to the appropriate input ?

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Nafquo

I'm also using a Zed r16, so i might be able to help you. You have to give me some more information though.

Where/what are you plugging into you mixer?
Are you using the ASIO Driver?
Have you selected channels 1-16 to be usable as channels?
Can you playback audio from reaper? (just drag an mp3 into the reaper screen to check)
Nafquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
ncmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafquo View Post
I'm also using a Zed r16, so i might be able to help you. You have to give me some more information though.

Where/what are you plugging into you mixer?
Are you using the ASIO Driver?
Have you selected channels 1-16 to be usable as channels?
Can you playback audio from reaper? (just drag an mp3 into the reaper screen to check)
I have tried both fire wire ports and I didnt get any sound levels showing when plugged into eather.

Im not really sure, I downloaded the drivers on A&H's site under the R16 and it gave me a "ZED" program with an icon that I can go into and it will show me some info on my mixer and what not.

I am not sure how to select channels. I went into the preferences on Reaper and changed it from 1 to 16. Not sure if that is what you mean or not.

I will try doing play back when I get home.Im on my lunch break at work right now.

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
ncmail

I have played with it quite a bit more and Im still getting nothing. I have the mixer selected in the preferences. I have all the current drivers for the mixer uploaded and the mixer is communicating with the computer.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
ncmail

yes it will play back if an MP3 is put into reaper as well.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
ncmail

Im messing around with Sonar LE that came free with my mixer and Im having the same thing with that. I can play files but not record or even get my sound levels to show up in the master
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
ncmail

Ok now Im recording. But it will only record channels one and 2?? not all 16?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
zappsunzorn

Make sure you have all 16 channels selected in Reaper. In the audio device settings window in Reaper make sure you have your first input selected as the first and the last (16) selected as you last.

I am assuming you are using an ASIO driver. In the audio device settings window I mentioned before click on the "ASIO configuration" button. I do not know the ZED driver software, but it is possible that you can rout the signals between the board and reaper in this software. Clicking on that button should open up the ZED's software interface.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
ncmail

Ok, I have added 16 channels in and out under "Audio - Device" under preferences in the Options tab. If that correct? If so how do I select first and last? Im really new to all this computer stuff so sorry for all the lack of education on my part on all this stuff.

And as far as the ASIO Im not sure to be honest. I just downloaded the files on this page and opened them http://www.allen-heath.com/US/Displa....asp?pview=104
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
ncmail

*Bump,
Please help, still only recording on channels one and two, can not find where to change that.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
Nafquo

this is how i do it

after this just press the record button and all should be ok.
If this doesn't work, explain to me what part of it won't work.

ps. make sure the Dig Master to L/R button is pressed on the zed r16
Nafquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Lee Flier

Does anybody do analog mixes on the R16 from Reaper tracks?

I just got one and it sounds great, but the routing to get tracks back out to individual channels from Reaper is driving me batty. There are no mono outputs really - it seems there are two outputs for each channel pair in the hardware output list and they both have the same name. So it seems I often end up with two Reaper tracks in the same channel.

Has anybody come up with a good workflow for defining the outputs from Reaper to the board?
Lee Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
manley

Im having exactly the same problem Reaper sends to two tracks on the Zed console
manley is offline   Reply With Quote